Bug - Not A Bug Mafia places [drink] and [eat] links in front of items like Ooze-O and U. Dumplings

chironex

In my opinion, these links should be removed for detrimental items such as these (Sewage schnapps, Ooze-O, Unfortunate dumplings, C.H.U.M. chum) in order to prevent users from accidentally clicking on them. This happened to me, and I had to use a melange in order to clear it up.

Bale

Minion
I try not to put strange things in my mouth just because I found them lying around.

I agree that these things aren't intended to be foods, just because they are edible so there's no advantage to the links, but making them an exception to the treatment provided to all other foods seems odd to me. With that said, I don't think that [drink] and [eat] links are really a good idea at all. I rarely eat and drink things that I've just found lying around. I almost always cook/mix them first and even when they're good enough to eat straight, I still want milk of magnesium and ode to booze.

I think it would be best to completely remove [drink] and [eat] links. They can cause more harm than help through accidental clickings, even on worthwile edibles.

Spiny

Sorry, Bale, I'm going to have to disagree with you about general removal of eat/drink links when receiving consumables. The various links are meant to be for convenience sake, just because you choose to be optimal about how you consume things, doesn't mean everyone else can be, or is. In early HC run, especially BM, when I'm being particularly lazy, if I acquire an ancient frozen dinner and I've the fullness available to eat it, I do so with that eat link you'd rather weren't there. Then I hope to get another one to consume in the same fashion. Granted, that is just one example off the top of my head. I personally don't see a problem with eat and drink links by the food/booze that are detrimental. The user should not blindly eat or drink anything, but most users know what they are getting themselves into when consuming things.

Bale

Minion
This happened to me, and I had to use a melange in order to clear it up.

Just thought I'd point this out: Even if you drank something good, you'd still need a melange to clear the drunkeness. I cannot see how this problem is different just because you drank Ooze-O

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Sorry, Bale, I'm going to have to disagree with you about general removal of eat/drink links when receiving consumables. The various links are meant to be for convenience sake, just because you choose to be optimal about how you consume things, doesn't mean everyone else can be, or is. In early HC run, especially BM, when I'm being particularly lazy, if I acquire an ancient frozen dinner and I've the fullness available to eat it, I do so with that eat link you'd rather weren't there. Then I hope to get another one to consume in the same fashion. Granted, that is just one example off the top of my head. I personally don't see a problem with eat and drink links by the food/booze that are detrimental. The user should not blindly eat or drink anything, but most users know what they are getting themselves into when consuming things.

You can actually do that without mafia now with the right-click menu.

Bale

Minion
You can actually do that without mafia now with the right-click menu.
Well, if you're gonna use that logic, the [use] links are also outdated.

In other news, I'm pretty happy that right-click menus finally work properly in Opera version 10.50

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I was thinking about that actually, and if the abundant eat links get removed, then the abundant use links probably aren't needed either. Mafia provides plenty of links that KoL should never provide, like the link on blackbird stuff to do that whole chain, the wormride link, and such. If the "useless" eat links (in quotes because there isn't necessarily agreement that they aren't useful, even if I agree with that description) go, then the "useless" use links should probably go too. Of course, removing any of those links will probably lead to lots of people asking what happened and lots of questions to answer about that, and explaining how the right-click menu could be used instead for people that never bothered looking at those settings.

Spiny

*ducks and hides* I actually don't care much for KoL's right click menu. That doesn't mean it's bad, just that I don't care for it. Same can be said about these eat/drink/use links that mafia provides. For me, these links are much more user friendly alternative than the right click menu from KoL. In any event, I didn't intend to turn this thread into a debate, but merely wanted to state there was a different view, at least by me, and perhaps others, that the links, in general, are useful. :)