Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problem after trying to update Java

Default Problem after trying to update Java

I run MacOS Mojave V10.14 on a MacMini. Recently I got an upgrade nag about my Java version, which is java version "1.8.0_201". It said a new version was available. So yesterday, I bit the bullet and tried to update. After I did so, when I double-clicked my mafia .jar file, as I have always done, it brought up a login window, just like always. When I selected my user name and clicked the login button, nothing happened. It just sat there. So I figured there was a problem with the new Java runtime I had just installed and found my old version (the java version "1.8.0_201" mentioned above) and tried again. The same thing happened. Recalling the recent posts in the KoLforums about mafia problems, I tried running "java -jar KoLmafia-20282M.jar" in a terminal window. It brought up a similar, if not the same, login window, but when I selected a user and clicked the login button, it worked. Anybody have any idea about what is going on? I can login and run successfully when I use the terminal and a command, but not when double-clicking the the jar file (although that does bring up a login window, it just doesn't work).

Thanks for any help or insight. I'm baffled.

Is https://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?2...nt)-OSXAdapter relevant? I don't do enough Mac to know myself.

Is https://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?2...nt)-OSXAdapter relevant? I don't do enough Mac to know myself.
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    I don't think so, since I was working with Java-8, not Java-14. But I don't understand what's going on at all, so maybe I'm wrong.

You get the log in window, but when you try to log in, it does nothing? It makes no requests of KoL?
    Can you turn on debug logging (Help menu -> Start Debug Log) and try it again, please.
    Perhaps something useful will be logged.

I don't think so, since I was working with Java-8, not Java-14. But I don't understand what's going on at all, so maybe I'm wrong.
    Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post
    OK. I have had cases where a Java downgrade didn't actually downgrade...
    Well, thank you.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post

You get the log in window, but when you try to log in, it does nothing? It makes no requests of KoL?
    Can you turn on debug logging (Help menu -> Start Debug Log) and try it again, please.
    Perhaps something useful will be logged.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    Here's the debug log. Doesn't look like there's anything there. Steps to produce.
    1. Double click mafia .jar file
    2. Help menu -> Start Debug Log
    3. Click login button
    4. Wait for something to happen
    5. Nothing does
    6. Help menu -> Stop Debug Log
    7. Quit kolmafia
    Attached Files

Update:

I am paying attention to you.

I had JRE 1.8.172 (or something).
    Java never offered to update. Kept telling me it could not connect to the update server.
    I just manually updated my JRE to 1.8.262 (or something).
    Guess what? It now tells me “You have the latest version”.
    Which doesn’t surprise me; not being able to connect to the update server was a Java bug.

The good news is that I can double click on a .jar file and it starts up with 1.8.262!
    Shows me the Login frame! Just like you!
    The bad news is that I can log in, just like when I run the jar file from the command line.
    Which is to say, I cannot reproduce your problem.
    Pondering.

Thanks for your effort. The problem is increasing bizarre. Things run fine on another Mac Mini with an older version of Mac OS X, 10.11.6 (not that I think this is relevant to the problem). When launching either way on the Mojave system (i.e. double clicking .jar file or via terminal command line), I can open a mini-browser window (which says not logged in, of course) and bring up the About Mafia window, which both point to the same JRE, Java v1.8.0_201-b09.

Can you think of any variables/options that could be set on my system to cause this? Also, I have tried rebooting my system, to clear out any accumulated grunge that could be involved.

Bump. This is really getting tedious and I'd like to find a fix, but I don't have any clue what to look for. Can anyone point me to a java test program that might help me pinpoint the problem? My google fu proved insufficient as the first 100 hits for "java test program" didn't return anything that looked promising. Ideally, the test program would put up a window like the mafia login window, accept some text input in a field (like the user id), and have a button to click (like the login button). Thanks for any help, ideas, or pointers to get the the bottom of this weird problem.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/robocode/

Is a game but the setup is a jar file as is the game. If you are frustrated enough the ability to install and run, or not, might help you.

or

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ipscan/