Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Guzzlr tablet - May Item of the month

I would not expect guzzlrQuestProgress to be a percentage, I would expect it to just count up and be combined with the count of _guzzlrDeliveries (by a script, presumably) to know what the target is.

That seems like it gets weird with rollover involved though. But that also seems true of all the other methods of tracking.
    Originally Posted by lostcalpolydude View Post
    Could have the opposite of a percentage, i.e. a number that starts at 100, and when it reaches/goes below 0, that's when the quest is done.
    Either way, it just... Is... how the game seemingly handles the storage of the quest progress (since there's rounding up involved, and it just wouldn't work if the target wasn't 100).

I would expect it to just count up and be combined with the count of _guzzlrDeliveries (by a script, presumably) to know what the target is.
    Originally Posted by lostcalpolydude View Post
    That... that was exactly what the "Con" of that method was: you need _guzzlrDeliveries to know by how much the progress is incremented every fight. That's it, you need NOTHING else.
    Last edited by fredg1; 06-18-2020 at 12:43 AM.

The problem with a percentage is deciding how to represent X/23, or X/37, or whatever the total progress is that is needed. I'm just making up numbers for that example though, because I have no idea what they would be.

You CAN totes get these anyway

I guess I'll just say how it works anyway, so that it's clearer

(considering 0=just started and 100<=completed)
    The "value" of a fight, for each delivery, is:
    Code:
    max( 3 , 11 - delivery # you're on )
    11 being "the kol number", I very much assume this is exactly how it's represented in their code, but it could very well instead be represented by a more convenient:
    Code:
    max( 3 , 10 - _guzzlrDeliveries )
    For a fight with the shoes, it's literally just:
    Code:
    floor( 1.5 * "base value of a fight" )
    ... ... That's... That's it. You can get any other info you want with these two formulas, your progress and your _guzzlrDeliveries
    How many fights are left vs. total (no shoes)? (remove the "100 - " and turn the first "ceil" into a "floor" if you want the "how many you did so far" instead)
    Code:
    ceil( ( 100 - questGuzzlrProgress ) / max( 3 , 10 - _guzzlrDeliveries ) )
    out of
    ceil( 100 / max( 3 , 10 - _guzzlrDeliveries ) )
    What about with the shoes?
    Code:
    ceil( ( 100 - questGuzzlrProgress ) / floor( 1.5 * max( 3 , 10 - _guzzlrDeliveries ) ) )
    out of
    ceil( 100 / floor( 1.5 * max( 3 , 10 - _guzzlrDeliveries ) ) )

...bump?

Even if that wasn't enough to convince, tracking fights with + without shoes is still an option... (though if you do it that way, there'll be issues with rollover interaction, while, from what I seemed to gather, there won't be with the x/100 representation <_< )

Shoes spading is done!!! Ready to be added to mafia.
    Originally Posted by fredg1 View Post
    Thank you for doing that.
    Also my apologies for not helping on that one even though I said I would. I got caught up in some IRL stuff and what free time I had I ended sinking into autoscend.
    ttpack = a collection of scripts by taltamir

'is fine <3

...bump?

Even if that wasn't enough to convince, tracking fights with + without shoes is still an option... (though if you do it that way, there'll be issues with rollover interaction, while, from what I seemed to gather, there won't be with the x/100 representation <_< )
    Originally Posted by fredg1 View Post
    As a general rule I don't like percentages. The English describing percentages can get awkward and you have to have a convention about whether you store a float that is typically less than 1 or a number that is typically less than 100. Remembering to account for "100" in calculations is one more source of error. Coding a loop until done using a counter seems more intuitive to me than checking something against 1, or perhaps 100.

So if you are trying to choose between two things that are different but equivalent, avoid the percentage :-)
    Well, thank you.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post

As a general rule I don't like percentages. The English describing percentages can get awkward and you have to have a convention about whether you store a float that is typically less than 1 or a number that is typically less than 100. Remembering to account for "100" in calculations is one more source of error. Coding a loop until done using a counter seems more intuitive to me than checking something against 1, or perhaps 100.

So if you are trying to choose between two things that are different but equivalent, avoid the percentage :-)
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    I may have not worded this well: "percentage" was just a way of "thinking about" what the numbers mean, but either way, these ARE the numbers: from zero to one-hundred (or the other way around, no way to know); you only, and MUST, store integers. There is no equivalent. If you are not comfortable with seeing a percentage out of them, then get rid of this completely imaginary % sign / implication that they could be seen as a fraction. They way things are set up, as suggested by spading, the numbers just... go... from zero to one-hundred. Only whole numbers here.
    X/100 doesn't mean "x divided by 100", it means "x out of 100".

If you opt for the "tracking fights with + without shoes" option instead (the """equivalent"""), all it means is that every script will have to convert these numbers into a X/100 form by itself.
    Last edited by fredg1; 06-22-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Talking about how it should be tracked before explaining anything about how it works led to a lot of wasted conversation. In that time, I drifted away from KoL a bit, which included ignoring this even though it was easy to code once you actually said anything about how it works. So in the future, it's probably worth explaining up front, so you don't need someone to decide they care about the feature two separate times (the first to ask you to explain, the second to write code).

Anyway, added guzzlrDeliveryProgress in 20223.

N- Noted... ._.