Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: February 2020 IOTM: Powerful Glove

Well ... I'm going to burn a new point release. We've fixed a lot of things since the most recent one - including taking care of the "these items don't work the same after Crimbo" - and I want to get it out before the new challenge path comes in less than a week, which will take an unknown - potentially substantial - amount of work to support.

I don't have the time or interest to deal with the new "non-combat skills granted only if item is equipped" mechanism right now. Unless somebody else wants to dive in and do it, better to just make the point release now. Even if somebody else is willing to do that, still might be better to make the new point release first; I know that I often make mistakes which take longer than expected to fix and that might be the case for others, too.

The glove's item description now says:

The Glove's battery is fully charged.
    The Glove's battery is 95% charged.

We could use that to set/correct _powerfulGloveBatteryPowerUsed at login.

Little issue: $skill[ CHEAT CODE: xxx].dailyLimit starts at 20 (or 10) and goes down by 1 each time you use Powerful Glove battery power.

While it works, for the skills you DIDN'T cast, the daily limit of the skill you just used shouldn't go down.
    Otherwise, if for example i was to do
    Code:
    while($skill[CHEAT CODE: Triple Size].timescast < $skill[CHEAT CODE: Triple Size].dailylimit){
    	if(!have_skill($skill[CHEAT CODE: Triple Size]))	equip($slot[acc3], $item[powerful glove]);
    	use_skill($skill[CHEAT CODE: Triple Size]);
    }
    mafia would stop at 50% battery, $skill[CHEAT CODE: Triple Size].timescast being 10, and $skill[CHEAT CODE: Triple Size].dailylimit also being 10.

Don't do that?

while( $skill[CHEAT CODE: Triple Size].dailylimit > 0 )

(I'm away from my computer with code, so can't check, but I believe that dailyLimit is calculated every time based on the amount of battery power you have left.)

Anything important we are missing for this IOTM?

Maximizer isn't listing the buffs.

Invisible Avatar and Triple Size? Ah. You can cast those only if you have it equipped. I see them when I have it equipped and I don't see them when I don't have it equipped.

There are many example of combat skills that are available only if an item is equipped.
    I believe these are the first examples of buffs.

So that's a new mechanism.

The maximizer would have to see if the glove was "accessible" (if not equipped) before suggesting it. If it did not end up in your equipment (when executing the maximization, equipment comes before skills and potions), it would have to equip/unequip the glove around casting.

That probably requires a generalization of skill casting in general: the two skills are "known" if the glove is available, not only if it is worn, and casting it requires the equipment swap.

I'll re-open this, but implementing the new mechanism is not easy.

I didn't know they'd show up only if equipped. Makes sense though. If it's a hassle to implement feel free to ignore it.
    You could workaround it by listing the buffs as greyed out if the Glove is available but not equipped. At least then it would remind the user that they have to equip it if they want to cast them and then the maximizer wouldn't have to care about having enough battery power left either.

There are many example of combat skills that are available only if an item is equipped.
    I believe these are the first examples of buffs.

So that's a new mechanism.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    Greatest American Pants

Those are buffs, but they are not skills. We have a "gap" command - which works only if you have the pants equipped.

When I maximize for Moxie

- if I have the pants equipped, the Maximizer displays

gap speed (157)

(while also suggesting that I equip different pants.

- if I don't have the pants equipped, the Maximizer displays (in grey)

(equip Greatest American Pants for Super Speed) (+157)

Interesting, but not quite analagous to the Powerful Glove skills, since the glove buffs persist if you unequip the glove, but the pants buffs drop if you unequip the pants.