Bug - Won't Fix Stack overflow

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I am not sure if this is really a bug or more of a "don't do that" moment, but writing a function that references itself creates a Stack overflow.
(I did this recently by mistake, code verified with the script below.)

Stack overflow during ASH script: (001-ashtest.ash, line 1)

Code:
void SayHi() { SayHi(); }

void main() {
	print("hello world");
	SayHi();
}

xKiv

At least in mafia the cost of failure does not exceed "restart mafia". I have recently caused infinite loop on a database in an environment where killing the session was impossible, all triggered exceptions were immediately caught and ignored, and the admins were already gone for the day. My cost of failure was "wait 5 hours until the database session times out".

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
At least in mafia the cost of failure does not exceed "restart mafia". I have recently caused infinite loop on a database in an environment where killing the session was impossible, all triggered exceptions were immediately caught and ignored, and the admins were already gone for the day. My cost of failure was "wait 5 hours until the database session times out".

Ouch!

Saklad5

You didn't have permissions to send a SIGTERM or SIGKILL signal to the process? Admittedly, SIGKILL probably would have left a huge mess.

xKiv

You didn't have permissions to send a SIGTERM or SIGKILL signal to the process? Admittedly, SIGKILL probably would have left a huge mess.

Enterprise environment with strict restrictions (even if I could log in to the database server itself, which only the admins can, I wouldn't have permissions to kill processes not owned by me). We are lucky we can install tables and packages at all without the admins.
There is a admin-provided package to kill your own sessions (going by database user/schema), but it has an explicit "you cannot do this" if the session is run from non-development environment (going by OS user)