New Content - Implemented Remove MMG functions and settings

Saklad5

Since the MMG is retired from KoL, I see no reason to retain the relevant functions, settings, and parsers in KoLmafia. If any script is still using them, I would personally prefer for them to break.

Whether deprecated functions should be retained is ultimately a matter of developer preference, of course. There's a good argument to be made for keeping the existing functions and simply making them fail safely whenever called.

By the way, I have no idea what the prefix for this thread should be. I went with [Bug] mainly by process of elimination, but it isn't quite accurate either.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
New Content, since it‘s a KoL change.

We should just remove all code of that supports it. Good riddance.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Every argument I ever made for keeping obsolete code went out the window when a code repository was properly used. So I hope that whoever does this will restrict the commit to nothing but code removal.

That said, I may look at it today or tomorrow if no one else does so first.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
There are pieces of support all over the place. Not just the ASH functions. Properties, Relay Browser decorators, MoneyMakingGameRequest, ...

We have 4 properties:

user mmgAutoConfirmBets false
user mmgDisabled false
user mmgSearchMinimum
user mmgSearchMaximum

mmgDisabled controls a RelayRequest override. If it is set to true, it blocks you from entering the MMG with the message: "You may not enter the Money Losing Game."

I put that in when I was wasting a lot of time in the hopes of winning big. I was up to +120 million and then went down to +20 million. I found myself thinking "I need to win that back!" and then I calmed myself and said "I need to quit cold turkey". I implemented the disabling property and haven't been back since.

FWIW, here are the totals for all my characters.

Lifetime Grand Total: +131,261 Meat
Lifetime Grand Total: +877,731 Meat
Lifetime Grand Total: +8,102 Meat
Lifetime Grand Total: +32,135,329 Meat
Lifetime Grand Total: +20,248,493 Meat

Good riddance.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
r19512

I searched for mmg and moneymaking (case insensitive). I deleted code that I thought was processing something related to the MMG as identified by the search. I deleted a couple MMG classes and then went through a compile/fix loop until things compiled. I think I got it all but I've made mistakes before :)