Bug Ancient Protector Spirit not marked as boss

Jeparo

ash ($monster[ancient protector spirit].boss) evaluates to false. I think all the protector spirits should probably be marked as bosses, since they're not instakillable and can only be fought once per ascension.

The annoying thing about 'boss' as an infotag is that the game itself has at least 4 different groups of 'bosses': the PvP mini, the machine elf start of combat buff, the knob goblin organ grinder, as well as the copyable, insta-killable and/or cleeshable monster properties.

Jeparo

:( that is a good point. Is there a canonical way to check if a monster is instakillable? The list of ash functions/monster properties doesn't appear to have anything.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Bumping from page 19 (!) since there is a new "Bug" regarding certain monsters marked as "bosses".
I have no idea what KoLmafia's definition of a "boss" is and how it agrees (or not) with any particular KoL definition of such.

Monster flags/types/subtypes we have keywords for in monsters.txt:

BOSS
NOBANISH
NOCOPY
WANDERER
ULTRARARE
SEMIRARE
SUPERLIKELY
FREE
NOWANDER
NOMANUEL
GHOST
SNAKE
DRIPPY

taltamir

I notice there is no "NOINSTAKILL" to denote monsters are immune to instant killing effects
kol bosses are impossible to instakill though

I think the best way to determine if something is really a boss would be the PVP season which counts the number of bosses killed. as that will show us what kol base game defines as a boss

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I notice there is no "NOINSTAKILL" to denote monsters are immune to instant killing effects
kol bosses are impossible to instakill though

I think the best way to determine if something is really a boss would be the PVP season which counts the number of bosses killed. as that will show us what kol base game defines as a boss

Is that the definition that's worth tracking in KoLmafia? The most obvious weird case is that when fighting Ed, only the 7th fight is a PvP boss, because the alternative is farming an arbitrary score in that mini without ascending.

Another possible definition is a monster whose image is not altered when using Dataspider as a familiar. I seem to remember Eleron favoring this definition when talking about how messy the term "boss" is in KoL.