Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skull of Bonerdagon crafted into Badass Belt when ascending

Default Skull of Bonerdagon crafted into Badass Belt when ascending

Despite having the autoCraft property set to false, KoLmafia always turns skulls of the Bonerdagon into Badass Belts when you ascend. Iím not really sure why youíd ever want that, as the components are not quest items, the Badass Belt isnít particularly popular as a softcore pull, and the skull is actually a piece of equipment in its own right.

Skimming through the code, I canít establish what is causing this behavior. Auto-crafting in general is a bit of a mess, in my opinion. Itís really unintuitive to have hard-coded and undocumented behavior like that, and I donít think anyone really gets much out of it.

I just realized that the skull used to be a quest item. I guess that explains why this was implemented in the first place.

So in other words, KoL changed and you were the first to notice this.
    I notice that you can untinker a badass belt, so it's not as if this is much of an inconvenience....

You don't hink anybody gets much out of autocrafting? Aren't you presumptuous!
    I quite like clicking on the small pyramid and having KoLmafia automatically make the Staff of Ed for me first.

So in other words, KoL changed and you were the first to notice this.
    I notice that you can untinker a badass belt, so it's not as if this is much of an inconvenience....

You don't hink anybody gets much out of autocrafting? Aren't you presumptuous!
    I quite like clicking on the small pyramid and having KoLmafia automatically make the Staff of Ed for me first.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    Actually, that bit is rather annoying when you are trying to get all the Discoveries. At any rate, it would be better if they were documented like auto-stops, and I think we can all agree it shouldn’t auto-craft things that aren’t actually compulsory. Not without a way to enable and disable specific recipes, at least.

Opinions aside, it definitely shouldn’t be auto-crafting things when the “autoCraft” property is false.
    Last edited by Saklad5; 04-22-2019 at 02:43 PM.

It's a shame that it "annoys" you. Good thing that you know exactly what to do to not be "annoyed".
    Which is to say, run without autoCrafting - which you (and by extension everybody) - "don't get much out of".

It's a shame that it "annoys" you. Good thing that you know exactly what to do to not be "annoyed".
    Which is to say, run without autoCrafting - which you (and by extension everybody) - "don't get much out of".
    I never said that. Also, and this is the entire point, ​it is being auto-crafted regardless of the setting.

And to be clear, I meant that I doubt most users are consciously aware that KoLmafia auto-crafts things, in much the same way many people get by without knowing about auto-stops.

Auto-crafting in general is a bit of a mess, in my opinion. Itís really unintuitive to have hard-coded and undocumented behavior like that, and I donít think anyone really gets much out of it.
    Originally Posted by Saklad5 View Post
    I never said that.
    You literally said that. That is why I used quotation marks.

Also, and this is the entire point, ​it is being auto-crafted regardless of the setting
    And that is a fair point. It did that back when the ingredients were quest items at the moment you were about to ascend and thereby automatically lose all your quest items. There is no reason for that code to exist any more now that KoL has changed and made it irrelevant.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

I didn’t equate myself and “everybody”, though I did say “anybody”. That was hyperbolical, and not intended to be interpreted literally. I’m sorry if I gave an impression to the contrary.

By unintuitive and a bit of a mess, I mean that it is not very orthogonal. Contrast it with breakable handling, where every item has an implicit and predictable property and five ways to respond to being broken. Sure, the documentation is mostly limited to source code comments, but it is in one place and interpreted consistently. This is not relevant to the bug, ultimately, so I shouldn’t have said it. I’d edit the original post, but that would remove the context for your replies.
    Last edited by Saklad5; 04-22-2019 at 11:34 PM.

The very first sentence of Saklad5's first post in this thread was

Despite having the autoCraft property set to false, KoLmafia always turns skulls of the Bonerdagon into Badass Belts when you ascend.
    See the part I bolded? Maybe read things first in future?

Maybe read things first in future?
    Originally Posted by Malibu Stacey View Post
    For what it's worth, saklad's tone generally makes me not want to do that with their posts.

Fixed in 19190.