Feature - Implemented [Patch] Preference for Blech House

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I added a preference for Blech House, so I don't get stopped by an unknown choice if I'm using cold-based attacks.

Compiled, run, and tested on my mac with Java 1.8, but should be good, since I just copied other preferences..

View attachment add_blechSelect.diff

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I just spent 10 minutes trying to apply the patch without success. I tried several places to start from with no success, and really did not want it to add a directory tree that started Users\mcroft. Could be my bad but....

I recommend that this patch not be a reason not to generate a new release.

If the OP makes a new patch then I'll try it again.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Looking at ChoiceManager, I see this:

Code:
		// Choice 1345 is Blech House
		new ChoiceAdventure(
			"Mountain", "choiceAdventure1345", "Blech House",
			new Object[] { new Option( "use muscle/weapon damage", 1 ),
			               new Option( "use myst/spell damage", 2 ),
			               new Option( "use mox/sleaze res", 3 ) } ),

When I select The Smut Orc Logging Camp and look at Choice Adventures, I see a drop down with 4 options:

show in browser
use muscle/weapon damage
use myst/spell damage
use mox/sleaze res

which is to say, this is already implemented.

xKiv

I just spent 10 minutes trying to apply the patch without success. I tried several places to start from with no success, and really did not want it to add a directory tree that started Users\mcroft. Could be my bad but....

I recommend that this patch not be a reason not to generate a new release.

If the OP makes a new patch then I'll try it again.

A decent patch utility should have an option to strip leading directories (from what's in the patch).
For the commendline patch I have it is:
Code:
  -p NUM  --strip=NUM  Strip NUM leading components from file names.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
A decent patch utility should have an option to strip leading directories (from what's in the patch).
For the commendline patch I have it is:
Code:
  -p NUM  --strip=NUM  Strip NUM leading components from file names.

I am both lazy and no longer getting paid to solve these kinds of problems. I use TortoiseSVN, and use the GUI. I tell it to apply the patch and if it doesn't work, change the directory I am in when I tell Tortoise to apply the patch. At some point the fact that I am doing a favor for the community/patch author and not dealing with my own work kicks in and I I kick it back. In this particular case no matter what I tried the patch was not going to work because it turns out that something similar was checked in about a month after the patch. The error, if anyone wants to learn from it, was in not inspecting the code to determine whether the patch still applied based upon changes to the code in the months since the patch was made. If the patch had worked I could have deleted the extraneous directories. I mentioned it because there are at least two people who submit patches who aren't in the right top level directory when they create them. My solution to that problem is to ask them to start from top level directory. Bottom line though is that I am lazy and there is a point when, if your patch does not work, I am going to kick it back rather than make it work.

xKiv

In this particular case no matter what I tried the patch was not going to work because it turns out that something similar was checked in about a month after the patch.

Oh, ok. That does tend to throw the bus under the bike of smooth patching.