Feature Butt-Rock Hair effect thinks it takes 5 hair sprays?

mapledyne

In the gCLI:
Code:
> ash $effect[butt-rock hair]

produces, among other bits:
Code:
Returned: Butt-Rock Hair
default => use 5 hair spray
note =>
all => aggregate boolean [string]
    use 5 hair spray => true

However, I can use just one hair spray to get this effect:

Code:
> use 1 hair spray

Purchasing hair spray (1 @ 22)...
You spent 22 Meat
You acquire an item: hair spray
Purchases complete.
Using 1 hair spray...
You acquire an effect: Butt-Rock Hair (3)
Finished using 1 hair spray.

Is there something I'm missing for this to need all five? This seems like it should be just "use 1...".

Thanks!

mapledyne

Oh, huh. Obtuse way to save a few server hits, but at least I understand why it's there now. Thanks for the explanation!

Theraze

Obtuse way

ob·tuse
ADJECTIVE
annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand:
"he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"
synonyms: stupid · slow-witted · slow · dull-witted · unintelligent · ignorant ·
simpleminded · witless · insensitive · imperceptive · uncomprehending · dim · dimwitted · dense · dumb · slow on the uptake · halfwitted · brain-dead · moronic · cretinous · thick · dopey · lamebrained · dumb-ass · dead from the neck up · boneheaded · chowderheaded
I think maybe you were looking for obscure instead? Saving a ton of server hits over the years from people who are too lazy to buy and use hairspray or the other 3-round buffs manually for a single thing is a good thing, not boneheaded.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obtuse said:
2b : difficult to comprehend : not clear or precise in thought or expression
Probably the relevant definition in this context.

If you want your own command for "up butt-rock hair", you can set it in a mood (although that does change some behavior, namely that of buff management).

Theraze

Probably the relevant definition in this context.

That was considered, but it's easy to comprehend why a game client with an oft-stated goal of reducing server hits would reduce server hits. It's also clear and precise in both thought (we can reduce server hits by buying and using multiple of this incredibly cheap buffing item when people are lazy) and expression (we DO reduce server hits by doing so). So I rejected that definion. :)

Darzil

Developer
Maybe a kludge could be added whereby it will just use all those that the character has, IF no more can be acquired, instead.

I suspect these things become an issue in paths where we can gain a few, but not five.

Is this standard behavior for all items that give minimal turns of some effect, or only those effects where it would be highly unlikely that a player only wants a couple turns?

Darzil

Developer
Historically it was for the three general store buffs only, which both provide a very short buff and are trivially available at a low cost from an NPC that is always available. (Before challenge paths)