Crimbo Shrub support

Ethelred

Does KoLmafia provide any means to identify the gifts found by my Crimbo Shrub and who "sent" them other than writing that info to the session logs? I found the preference shrubGifts, but that seems to just indicate that I've decorated my Crimbo Shrub with piles of tiny presents to exchange presents. At least if I understand it correctly.

I've only lately got around to using the Crimbo Shrub very much and got a few "Thank you" messages from people who had received presents from my shrub. I wondered how they knew they were from me, so I poked around in the session logs a bit to find out. I was suprised by how much activity was going on which I was completely unaware of since it was all going on in a farming script. Now that I know, I'd like to keep track of it and see a list of all the stuff I've been getting and from whom. I'm guessing this will require some kind of script to extract the info from my session logs. So I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has already done one that they'd be willing to share.

Another thing I'm wondering about is if there is anyway to determine who received a present my shrub sent. I haven't been able to find anything on the KoLwiki to indicate that this is possible. But, again, I thought I'd ask.

Finally, I'd like to know about ultra-rares and the Crimbo Shrub. If a player has a Crimbo Shrub equipped as their familiar and encounters an ultra-rare monster and the Crimbo Shrub send a present action occurs, will someone in fact receive a copy of the ultra-rare reward item? I seem to recall the pantless was generating 17-balls for some lucky players during his relentless pool practice. Is anyone aware of any spading info on how often the Crimbo Shrub does send out a present and if that chance is affected at all by the ultra-rare encounter?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide about these mysterious goings on.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Another thing I'm wondering about is if there is anyway to determine who received a present my shrub sent. I haven't been able to find anything on the KoLwiki to indicate that this is possible. But, again, I thought I'd ask.
That is not possible.

Finally, I'd like to know about ultra-rares and the Crimbo Shrub. If a player has a Crimbo Shrub equipped as their familiar and encounters an ultra-rare monster and the Crimbo Shrub send a present action occurs, will someone in fact receive a copy of the ultra-rare reward item? I seem to recall the pantless was generating 17-balls for some lucky players during his relentless pool practice. Is anyone aware of any spading info on how often the Crimbo Shrub does send out a present and if that chance is affected at all by the ultra-rare encounter?

I believe people doing that "charge" the Crimbo Shrub by killing monsters with no drops (or no giftable drops, at least), and then run away from all non-UR fights in the UR zone. That gives a guaranteed chance to gift the item that drops from the UR monster.

VladYvhuce

About the shrub: The Crimbo shrub is best enjoyed when used in manual adventures, as you will be told "it's from [player name]!" after the present is opened and the item identified. That way, if you happen to get something nifty, you can thank the individual whose shrub gave it to you. There's no real way to determine who will get the gift that is sent out. That's just seemingly randomized from whoever has one active at the time. I've gotten a few nifty and some useful items from using my shrub. But, mostly, the stuff I get is something that I'll autosell because it won't sell in the mall. One shouldn't expect to get an ultra-rare this way.

Crowther

I believe people doing that "charge" the Crimbo Shrub by killing monsters with no drops (or no giftable drops, at least), and then run away from all non-UR fights in the UR zone. That gives a guaranteed chance to gift the item that drops from the UR monster.
Which sounds like a really odd thing to do until you consider people farming for pool skill who use free runaways for all the monsters in a UR zone.