The kolmafia wiki fast again

Ulti

Thanks for fixing the kolmafia wiki. (Not sure who to thank) I look forward to contributing again to make it a better resource now that the pages are loading faster.

I am not feeling it... I still get the random 20-60 sec delays. Just now I got a gateway time-out error :(. Thankfully waiting a bit and retrying pushed my wiki change through.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
This is the first I've heard of the wiki actually being slow... let me know the next time it starts happening again and I'll look into it.

Ulti

This is the first I've heard of the wiki actually being slow... let me know the next time it starts happening again and I'll look into it.
It's always been slow or non-responsive. If you try to make a high quality contribution to the wiki, and thus have to click back and forth a lot, that contribution can take an hour simply for all the pages to load collectively. When I said "fast again" in the thread title, I meant back to the slow speed it once was. As opposed to the "pages never load" experience we were all getting the last few months. Every second click took a full 3 minutes. My experience, at the time of this post, is about 20 seconds per page load, which isn't too bad, with every few clicks there's a page which takes 2-3 full minutes. I suppose it's responsive enough for me to get an edit into the wiki if I remain dedicated enough, but still not quick enough for me to take the wiki very seriously. I'll try to get an edit in one of these days, though, if I can remember, each time I click a link, the reason why I clicked it in the first place by the time the page loads on the wiki... >_<

Try doing a google search for "site:http://wiki.kolmafia.us" it simply doesn't list any of the pages of the wiki other than the cover, they simply load too slowly for google to care.
But doing the same search on bing "site:http://wiki.kolmafia.us", however, does list a handful of pages.

I see the wiki sets some cloudflare properties, I assume it's using cloudflare then, so perhaps it's a location issue... I go back and forth between San Diego and LA in California here. Same experience for me from both. Maybe the East coast loads the wiki faster? I don't know.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm in Boston and pages load instantly.
I click on a link, it's there in a fraction of a second.
I go back to the main index, ditto.
I click on another link, ditto.

Darzil

Developer
Max I'm seeing is 2 seconds to load (UK, currently in Edge (urg) as I just accepted Win 10 update).

Looks like the bottleneck for me is adverts, as usual.

xKiv

I tried it (only the main page) a bunch of times over a bunch of minutes right now, while telling some addons to disable/enable themselves (https everywhere, requestpolicy, noscript, ...). Sometimes <2s, sometimes >20s of empty tab before anything happened. Combination of enabled addons doesn't seem to affect anything, at least not immediately.
(this was even with "browser cache disabled" in firebug).
I also tried loading both in firefox and chromium at the same time (once or twice) and it felt like they got different-speed results.
So I guess it's either application specific (and random), or being randomly sent to a laggy cloud node on the other end?

I live in South TX and have the same general lag issues Uti has been explaining. Seems like 2-3 out of 10 wiki clicks will load quickly, although they could just be cached. The rest tend to take anywhere from 10 secs to a complete time out. When it hangs, I find resubmitting the page multiple times while waiting tends to speed up the process. Overall, editing the wiki is nearly impossible. Even fixing a small typo can take mins. Now I tend to just use it as a reference, when ashref is not enough for me, and keep to cached pages.

Darzil

Developer
If you feel ambitious, could try some networking tool that'll show you what is being requested/returned, so you can find out what is slow. These days on 90% of sites, it's the adverts, but there are exceptions.

Theraze

Currently in the Seattle area and it's loading in under a second for me. Not sure why it's slow for ckb, but it's not necessarily just the region.

To validate that it's not caching, used the random page button to pull up a few random pages. No delays besides the second for my poor overloaded 94 tabs to catch up to the new one.

Ulti

oh hey i posted in the wrong threaaaad gg fewyn
Should be rather easy in vBulletin to select two posts from here and move them to there. If I remember correctly, a moderator just needs to click the checkbox on the posts to move, then press "Move Posts" followed by specifying the thread. The posts will be moved to the specified thread and merged with posts there by ordering all the posts based on the time they were posted rather than appending them all to the end of the thread.