Adjust Text Size in Mafia Interface?

MsNicole

I recently got a Microsoft Surface. I'm finding the mafia interface on this smaller screen hard to read. Short of wearing reading glasses, and making the rest of the universe fuzzy, is there any way to enlarge the text?

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Unfortunately, the only option I see is Preferences > Look & Feel > - Chat Options > Use large fonts in hypertext displays, which only really helps with certain aspects like the CLI, Location Details, and Chat.

MsNicole

Thanks. I'm mostly squinting at "item manager" menu items. But maybe this will be helpful at some point.

cowmanbob

The old people (like me) also suffer with this issue. There are some workarounds I've found online. But none that I'm willing to run. It's a scaling issue and Win10 doesn't recognize mafia as an "app". Due to that, you cannot go to your display settings and tell it to ignore scaling. Several programmers have written in specific code to deal with this issue. If I find the energy to dig them back up, I'll post a few links here.

Theraze

One non-mafia workaround is to add the screen magnification, to make things just generally larger. Either Docked (top of screen) or Lens (wherever your mouse is) would probably work. Or having the whole screen zoomed, depending on your window sizes, but then you might lose a popup window.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Someone just posted this over at reddit as a client-side fix for scaling issues. I feel like there should be enough info there to have mafia properly handle things (by adding to build.xml I guess?), but I couldn't figure it out.

Someone just posted this over at reddit as a client-side fix for scaling issues. I feel like there should be enough info there to have mafia properly handle things (by adding to build.xml I guess?), but I couldn't figure it out.
Fixing this problem for DailyDownloader users requires a minor launcher change only. I know exactly what to do on my end ;)

Theraze

Unless I misread it, mafia can't handle it because the fix is to apply a file to the enduser's Java installation folder.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Unless I misread it, mafia can't handle it because the fix is to apply a file to the enduser's Java installation folder.

That makes two of us. I read it as you have to tell Windows that Java is high DPI aware. Once that happens then Windows features to adjust text size will apply, as expected, to Java and by extension to KoLmafia.

I just released DailyDownloader v7 with a fix for this, along with other issues: http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?1...ily-Downloader&p=133741&viewfull=1#post133741

Not to sound snarky, but since it seems to some of us that the suggested change is an OS change, it would be much more helpful if you explained how you did it rather than just proclaiming it was done. Thank you.

Point taken; the issue is with the first executable used to get things going not having the correct manifest settings for Windows to figure out that it is dealing with an application that understands display scaling. For DailyDownloader users on Windows, that's DDLauncher, which has been updated to have the needed settings per the Reddit post linked earlier. Since only the initially launched EXE matters, updating the launcher is sufficient - neither Java nor the registry needs editing.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Point taken; the issue is with the first executable used to get things going not having the correct manifest settings for Windows to figure out that it is dealing with an application that understands display scaling. For DailyDownloader users on Windows, that's DDLauncher, which has been updated to have the needed settings per the Reddit post linked earlier. Since only the initially launched EXE matters, updating the launcher is sufficient - neither Java nor the registry needs editing.

Got it. But since you fixed it in an EXE that runs before Java gets invoked, I'm not sure that solution is available to/worth implementing for KoLmafia. Thank you.