What preference tracks the trash-quest in the DinseyLandfill?

ereinion

I seem to remember that it was "dinseyFishTrashProgress", but today, when checking why my script hadn't moved on after finishing fishing trash, the value for this property was still at 0. Checking about a bit using prefref, I found that it's default value apparently is N/A, does this mean that 0 is a value it is assigned once the quest is finished? I also came across a preference called "questEStFishTrash" which apparently is at step2, which I figured may have something to do with the quest too.

So, I was hoping that someone could enlighten me on what the difference between the two preferences mentioned above is, and what the various values for the two show for different states of the trash-fishing quest in DinseyLandfill. I'd do it myself, but I was hoping to figure out how I need to alter in my script today, not having to wait for the quest to pop up again.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
A default value of N/A means it isn't in defaults.txt. I suspect that setting was initially coded in and then replaced with something else.

ereinion

That makes it natural to assume that it is the other preference (questEStFishTrash) which tracks the trash-fishing quest, yes? I just found it odd, since the rest of the Dinseyland quests are tracked by preferences named similarly to dinseyFishTrashProgress. I.e. dinsey***Progress. or things can have changed more than I assumed from the last time I paid any attention to what that bit of the script was doing :) Guess I'll have to pay closer attention to how it behaves, if I stay in aftercore for a little while.

Darzil

Developer
dinseyFilthLevel tracks the level of Filth.
If questEStFishTrash is at step 2 it implies you've already cleared it and are ready to return the quest.

questEStFishTrash tracks the quest progress, as measured by the quest log. So "equip the Trash Net" is at Started, Fish out the Trash is at "step1" and return to collect wages is "step2".
dinseyFilthLevel tracks the level of Filth, from 100 down to 0, being set to 100 when you get the Trash Net, and reaching 0 after 20 turns or when a message about not finding any trash is found.

Last edited:

ereinion

Ah, thanks a ton! Gonna switch to tracking my quest-progress via dinseyFilthLevel, then, as that is what is easiest to check against as my script currently is written.