Bug - Fixed r13470 - Login script not running because of mushroom plot

Fluxxdog

Code:
zlib is at HEAD (r16)
You haven't bought a mushroom plot yet.
5055 prices updated from http://kolmafia.us/scripts/updateprices.php?action=getmap
And then it stops. KoLmafia does not run my login script. Nothing in any of my scripts even has that message. Nothing in my session log indicates a problem.

Winterbay

This is a known issue since the chabge a while back to how mushroomplots were handled. You can either unset your mushroom script or buy a plot to get around it atm. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The message is intentional to let you know that KoLmafia is actually making a server hit because you have a mushroom script set. If you don't have a mushroom plot, perhaps you should be nice to KoL and not demand that server hit.

This thread will suffice for discussion on the issue, since the other discussion, such as it was, was on the revision thread. I tuned that out after I had explained the purpose of the message and somebody came in to say that "KoLmafia didn't need to check if there was a mushroom plot since his personal scripts checked." Which is to say, he completely ignored the point.

As far as I am concerned, we have not figured out the "correct" solution to this issue, yet.

Fluxxdog

If someone is in a Knoll sign, this is what I would expect to happen:

if you have a planting script, mafia checks for a plot
if you have a plot, run the planting script
else an informational notice is nice
finally, continue with login as normal (such as running your loginScript)

I guess the only things that surprises me is mafia skipped my breakfast script. I mean, the way I listed it is how it used to work, right?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I guess the only things that surprises me is mafia skipped my breakfast script.
That's because the current message is an error, not informational.

I mean, the way I listed it is how it used to work, right?
No. There was previously no message whatsoever to let you know that KoLmafia had just made a server hit to fruitlessly look for a mushroom plot.

Razorsoup

The message is intentional to let you know that KoLmafia is actually making a server hit because you have a mushroom script set. If you don't have a mushroom plot, perhaps you should be nice to KoL and not demand that server hit.

This thread will suffice for discussion on the issue, since the other discussion, such as it was, was on the revision thread. I tuned that out after I had explained the purpose of the message and somebody came in to say that "KoLmafia didn't need to check if there was a mushroom plot since his personal scripts checked." Which is to say, he completely ignored the point.

As far as I am concerned, we have not figured out the "correct" solution to this issue, yet.

Would it be possible to have KoLmafia buy a mushroom plot if it detects we don't already have one? Maybe make it an option that can be set or pop up a dialog for user confirmation?

Fluxxdog

@Veracity: Ah, that makes much more sense. It's surprising that it throws an error, since we have a function have_mushroom_plot(). I would think the check would be to set that. I went back to look at the revision notes and saw the conversation you were talking about. I have to ask this, because you would know better than I would (from line 624 of MushroomManager.java):
Code:
		if ( !MushroomManager.ownsPlot )
		{
			KoLmafia.updateDisplay( MafiaState.ERROR, "You haven't bought a mushroom plot yet." );
			return false;
		}
Why does it cause an error? Isn't this one of the expected results? Either you can't get to the field (non-Knoll or Zombiecore), you can but didn't buy a plot, or you have a plot.
Or to put it another way, why was it designed to cause an error? Is there another way of printing the message without causing everything to halt?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If it doesn't make everything halt, then you are unlikely to notice the wasted server hit, since many people probably never use the CLI unless something breaks. Without some type of obtrusive behavior (aborting, a confirmation box), it's unlikely to serve that purpose.

Fluxxdog

But... that's making it break login scripts which are supposed to run when you log in. And mafia doesn't end in an error state. The last action it performed was to access mall prices which had the sidebar green, a non-error state. Would it be better to have the Mushroom check occur last after logging in?
The only reason I noticed something was wrong was I had all my MP, which meant for some reason I hadn't burnt any which my login script would have done.

Darzil

Developer
Maybe we should set a preference (haveMushroomPlot) when someone buys a Mushroom Plot (or sees a plot there), and only run the script in that case? If the planting fails due to no plot we could unset the preference.

That'd get rid of the server hits.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Not bad. A "lastMushroomPlot" per-ascension type thing.

If you visit the mushroom plot in the relay browser and we see a plot, we set it to current ascension.
If we see you buy a plot - which might be the same thing, since it will then show you the plot - we set it.
If you try to open the Mushroom Frame, we could (as now) force a visit.

And, as you suggest, not run a mushroom script when you log on unless we already know you have a plot.

I predict we will have bug reports: "KoLmafia stopped running my mushroom script". We already have various "planting" settings - and presumably we could see if one (or more) is not at the default to decide that you've already been running a script and therefore mark that you have a plot...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 13472 adds the new "lastMushroomPlot" setting, which is set to your current ascension number if we see that you have a plot.

You can visit the plot in the Relay Browser.
You can buy a plot.
You can use the "field" command to force a visit.
You try to open the Mushroom Frame to force a visit.

We will not run a planting script at Login if you think you do not have a plot.

I have done nothing (yet) to try to auto-detect that you have been running a script.

Winterbay

For the record I did not mean that it didn't need to check, I meant that even when adding that check to the script did not help with the aborting issue which I had thought it would.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
For the record, the "somebody who came in" was Morgoth1145, not you. He said:

The script already took care of this functionality, KoLMafia itself had absolutely no need to do anything.
which, as I said, completely missed the point - and made me lose interest in talking further about the issue.

Fluxxdog

Cool. Can't get a plot yet, but login script runs. I'm happy ^^ Thank you!

Now to finish getting those Cola Wars Battlefield factoids ^^

Razorsoup

I'm getting an error/debug log every day now. I am using auto_mushroom as my planting script. Issuing the "field" command from the gcli also results in the error & debug log. If I visit the mushroom field in the relay browser, it fixes it for the day but the error returns the next day. What should I do?

debug log from field command:
Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
         KoLmafia v16.2 r13489, Windows XP, Java 1.7.0_45
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread of KoL's
 Gameplay-Discussion forum. If you would like the KoLmafia dev team
 to look at it, please write a bug report at kolmafia.us. Include
 specific information about what you were doing when you made this
 and include this log as an attachment.
 Timestamp: Sat Jan 04 23:37:55 CST 2014

Unexpected error, debug log printed.
class java.lang.NullPointerException: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.MushroomManager.getForecastedPlot(MushroomManager.java:193)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.MushroomManager.getForecastedPlot(MushroomManager.java:179)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.MushroomFieldCommand.run(MushroomFieldCommand.java:119)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaCLI.doExecuteCommand(KoLmafiaCLI.java:595)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaCLI.executeCommand(KoLmafiaCLI.java:548)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaCLI.executeLine(KoLmafiaCLI.java:449)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaCLI.executeLine(KoLmafiaCLI.java:317)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.CommandDisplayFrame$CommandQueueHandler.handleQueue(CommandDisplayFrame.java:190)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.CommandDisplayFrame$CommandQueueHandler.run(CommandDisplayFrame.java:164)

Debug log from auto_mushroom.ash:
Code:
 Timestamp: Sat Jan 04 23:29:15 CST 2014

at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.MushroomManager.pickMushroom(MushroomManager.java:575)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.MushroomFieldCommand.run(MushroomFieldCommand.java:101)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.RuntimeLibrary.cli_execute(RuntimeLibrary.java:1848)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.LibraryFunction.execute(LibraryFunction.java:106)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.FunctionCall.execute(FunctionCall.java:154)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.BasicScope.execute(BasicScope.java:435)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.Conditional.execute(Conditional.java:96)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.If.execute(If.java:68)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.BasicScope.execute(BasicScope.java:435)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.UserDefinedFunction.execute(UserDefinedFunction.java:153)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.FunctionCall.execute(FunctionCall.java:154)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.UserDefinedFunction.execute(UserDefinedFunction.java:153)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.Interpreter.executeScope(Interpreter.java:401)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.Interpreter.execute(Interpreter.java:325)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.Interpreter.execute(Interpreter.java:318)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.CallScriptCommand.call(CallScriptCommand.java:256)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.CallScriptCommand.run(CallScriptCommand.java:75)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.LoginManager.doLogin(LoginManager.java:135)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.LoginManager.login(LoginManager.java:74)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.processLoginRequest(LoginRequest.java:439)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1956)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1851)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1505)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1400)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.run(LoginRequest.java:261)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:280)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:243)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.doLogin(LoginFrame.java:343)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.actionConfirmed(LoginFrame.java:299)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.GenericPanel$ConfirmedListener.execute(GenericPanel.java:627)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.listener.ThreadedListener.run(ThreadedListener.java:239)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread$ThreadWrappedRunnable.run(RequestThread.java:400)

at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.MushroomManager.plantMushroom(MushroomManager.java:503)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.MushroomFieldCommand.run(MushroomFieldCommand.java:88)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.RuntimeLibrary.cli_execute(RuntimeLibrary.java:1848)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.LibraryFunction.execute(LibraryFunction.java:106)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.Conditional.execute(Conditional.java:96)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.Interpreter.executeScope(Interpreter.java:401)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.CallScriptCommand.call(CallScriptCommand.java:256)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.CallScriptCommand.run(CallScriptCommand.java:75)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.processLoginRequest(LoginRequest.java:439)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1956)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1851)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1505)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1400)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.doLogin(LoginFrame.java:343)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.actionConfirmed(LoginFrame.java:299)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.GenericPanel$ConfirmedListener.execute(GenericPanel.java:627)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.listener.ThreadedListener.run(ThreadedListener.java:239)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread$ThreadWrappedRunnable.run(RequestThread.java:400)

at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.MushroomManager.pickMushroom(MushroomManager.java:575)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.MushroomFieldCommand.run(MushroomFieldCommand.java:101)

at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.MushroomManager.plantMushroom(MushroomManager.java:503)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.command.MushroomFieldCommand.run(MushroomFieldCommand.java:88)

Timestamp: Sat Jan 04 23:29:16 CST 2014