Bug - Fixed Jumping Into the Astral Gash

Uli

I cannot currently ascend in KoLmafia. Whenever I click the "Ascend" button from The Astral Gash page, I keep getting a dead page saying "The connection was reset."

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I expect it generated an error when autoselling items. In which case there would be a debug log and an "Unexpected error" printed in the CLI.

Revision 12888 would have fixed that, so I will mark this fixed.

Uli

Apologies, I just logged into normal KoL and ascended to get around the temporary bug, so I cannot comment whether it has been fixed or not, though if no one else has said anything, I assume that it has. Thanks for being on it, as always.

And Veracity is correct, this is what came up in the CLI:

"Unexpected error, debug log printed."

Theraze

If you get that message in the future and post another bug report, please attach the debug log? It helps the developers see exactly what's gone wrong... without that, they're just guessing whether or not the fix will meet your specific bug. Or they're Veracity and know everything about the code. But if you want developers who haven't been working on it for almost a decade to have an improved chance of fixing your bug, posting the debug log helps a ton.

Uli

Understood, though it says specifically in the debug log not to post the log in the KoLmafia thread. It says I should write a bug report, which I can do in the future. I assumed this forum was just to give the developers heads up on weird occurances. I have no problem posting the debug log in the future if it isn't frowned upon.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
The "KoLmafia thread" means the thread at forums.kingdomofloathing.com, in Gameplay / Discussion. Debug logs are fair game, here :)

Winterbay

Yeah, that confused me for a long while as well especially since, not being a frequenter of the KoL forums, I had no idea there was a thread over there.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The key word is "the" KoLmafia thread. Here, there is no distinguished "the" thread. On G-D, there is just one thread.

Bale

Minion
That is a key word which is easy to miss. I know it is easy to miss because many people misunderstand. Perhaps it would be good if the instructions were more specific?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The current message:

Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread. If you
 would like the dev team to look at it, please write a bug report
 at kolmafia.us. Include specific information about what you were 
 doing when you made this and include the log as an attachment.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Note that it specifically tells you to attach the log to the bug report you write at kolmafia.us. Apparently, people stop reading after the "don't post this log on the KoLmafia thread".

Here's something I could submit in its place:

Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread of KoL's
 Gameplay-Discussion forum. If you would like the KoLmafia dev team
 to look at it, please write a bug report at kolmafia.us. Include
 specific information about what you were doing when you made this
 and include this log as an attachment.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Or something else. Suggestions?

Bale

Minion
That was quite specific.

Of course this is the third version of that message, so we darn well should have it right this time. I hope.

Fluxxdog

I've once heard it said, "When you make something foolproof, God just makes bigger fools." However, it says nothing about more fools.

honestly, the only way you could make things easier is to add bug reporting in mafia itself.