Feature - Implemented Halls Passing in the Night is still unsupported

Terrabull

This is the adventure in the Mer-kin School zone that has more choices as more are unlocked based on other noncombats in that zone. I think it would be sufficient for the automation to fail if the requested choice is not available. Doesn't need to do anything fancy.
One more bit of info, this adventure always occurs if you have a mer-kin hallpass in your inventory. So it's rather common and not having it supported makes automating the school very hard.

This is the text I get when it reaches that adventure:
Unsupported choice adventure #705

Last edited by a moderator:

Bale

Minion
You can set that up yourself if you are okay with it failing when the correct choice is not available. Just copy/paste the following in your CLI (capitalization counts):

Code:
set choiceAdventure705 = 4

The final integer is the number of the choice you want to select, provided that they are all available. Change it if you don't prefer the fourth option.

roippi

Developer
The mind boggles how "this content hasn't been implemented yet" is in any way a bug. Changing to feature.

Fluxxdog

I think the reasoning is more "Oh, the Mer-kin city is implemented? Well, this doesn't work, so it must be a bug!" ^^ Essentially...

Expected behavior: Passing in the Night already works
Observed behavior: It doesn't work

Nuances, ya know? It's the difference between being slapped with a trout and being slapped with a bass.

http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?12145 is the original New Content thread, which was marked as implemented. SOP seems to be that missing stuff should be marked as New Content.

Fluxxdog

Well, roippi's reaction infers that a bit ^^ But seriously, I do have to ask how long after a New Content thread is marked implemented before anything missing goes from new content to bug.

If I sound malicious, it's purely imagined. I'm working on a degree in programming and seeing how different development teams act and react provides a lot of insight to the development process as well as formulating my own strategies.

Ya know, now that I say it like that, it sounds more like I'm playing the role of stalker rather than anthropologist. I'm not creepy, am I?

Theraze

Agree with lost. If it's something that has never been in, that's a new feature. If there's something that doesn't work right especially if it did before, that's a bug.

Since there has never been official handling of that choiceadv, it's either New Content or FReq. But it isn't a bug that a choice that's never had a menu item still doesn't have a menu item. It's the continuance of a feature that isn't there.

roippi

Developer
Yes. New Content and Feature are essentially the same tag - one is just a superset of the other. Either is fine.

Terrabull

I labeled it bug because the zone seems to work aside from this item/zone interaction. Is it not working because the choice adventure was never programmed? or because Mafia is misdirecting something I unlocked? or some other reason?
Having everything work in a zone except one things seems more like a bug than a feature. But then again, this IS KoL we're talking about.

slyz

Developer
I remember adding the choice spoilers for the other noncombats in the zone, for the unlocks, but I didn't touch this one because it is a "dynamic" choice adventure with less straightforward implementation.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
While an anthropologist would probably have a field day with the discussion of proper labels and how that divides the community into groups, it is true that the labels do make a difference. Various people use them as filters to figure out what they could, should or might do next with the limited free time as applied to KoLmafia. In that context, I view a Bug as something that is broken and I have an opportunity to fix. New Content is something that has never worked, but should. A Feature is a modification to an existing way of doing something or a new thing to do. The difference is that a Bug says to (this) dev - You did something wrong and New Content says - You have not done this yet. Under certain circumstances one triggers a defensive reaction that the other does not. IMO. YMMV.

Bale

Minion
The difference is that a Bug says to (this) dev - You did something wrong and New Content says - You have not done this yet. Under certain circumstances one triggers a defensive reaction that the other does not.

Speaking as an amateur anthropologist aka People-watcher, I can tell you that I have seen the label "bug" trigger a defensive reaction many, many times while the other two labels never do trigger that reaction. It makes me a bit hesitant to use the "bug" label.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Speaking as an amateur anthropologist aka People-watcher, I can tell you that I have seen the label "bug" trigger a defensive reaction many, many times while the other two labels never do trigger that reaction. It makes me a bit hesitant to use the "bug" label.

I am not afraid of using the Bug label but I am very very careful that I attribute the behavior to the proper component. I have justifiably roused wrath when calling something a KoLmafia bug only to have it be a side effect of a script or operator error. That said I find the saga of the jar of frostkraut interesting since I reported it as a bug, became convinced that it was caused by a script, was told that was wrong, believed it and then reproduced it as a bug. I suspect the only reason this did not blow up in my face is that I have learned to try and avoid the arrogantly self-righteous tone sometimes taken when pointing out what seems to be someone else's mistake.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That said I find the saga of the jar of frostkraut interesting since I reported it as a bug, became convinced that it was caused by a script, was told that was wrong, believed it and then reproduced it as a bug.
Maybe. It still an operator error, since using the jar of frostigkraut as a goal is never correct, but at least now KoLmafia doesn't loop when you make that mistake.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Maybe. It still an operator error, since using the jar of frostigkraut as a goal is never correct, but at least now KoLmafia doesn't loop when you make that mistake.

As noted in the thread, I have learned not to set that as a goal :)

Ethelred

I'm not sure we're out of the woods on this yet. See post #33 in the "Bug - Fixed Choice Handling and Goal not quite working as expected" thread. I didn't have jar of frostigkraut set as a goal, but still got into a loop.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Bumping to page one, since this is the only Sea-related bug report we have left, that I am aware of.