KoL Mafia not supported on Linux?

ajaxis

Hey, I'm using the Red Hat Enterprise system at work. I try to download and run it, but all I see are the files and none of the normal files from when I work on my home windows computer.

Is KoL Mafia not supported on a linux system?

Theraze

Several of our developers use Linux. Many of the players do.

Did you install Java? KoLmafia is just a Java app, so if you remembered to install that...

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
KolMafia is essentially a jar file and can be run quite nicely on Linux. See http://wiki.kolmafia.us/index.php?title=Mafia_directories to find where it will create the files it creates. If you are under the misunderstanding that downloading mafia will somehow transfer your scripts and settings from one machine to another, excuse me why I go snicker and then come back and suggest you look at Dropbox or some other way to synchronize directory trees across machines or carry, and run from, a thumb drive. There is a slight possibility that your Linux system has a Java that is known to do things differently but the differences are pretty well documented on the Linux side so start looking at documentation about running a jar file.

ajaxis

ok, so I'm a noob at linux systems. but I do know better that downloading doesn't transfer scripts between machines. I did go to school for computers but Linux wasn't taught in my courses. What I know is from playing around with linux at home

And yes Java is installed on my computer.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
but all I see are the files and none of the normal files from when I work on my home windows computer

ok, so I'm a noob at linux systems. but I do know better that downloading doesn't transfer scripts between machines.

If the second quote is true then perhaps you are a noob at asking questions that will get you useful answers.

Did you follow the link I posted that tells you where KoLmafia will normally create its files? Otherwise give us some specific about what you are looking for and where you are looking.

And actually run mafia once before looking, because it is running mafia that creates the usual directory structure and not just downloading a jar.

ajaxis

I ran perfectly from that. Work picked up so I didn't have the time to look for the comand. Thanks Lostcalpolydude