New Content - Implemented Manuel got some new tricks.

roippi

Developer
$category is awful and nondescript. It might as well be $variable. We can break backwards-compatibility if it's for a good reason, but that's a straight up regression in terms of understandability.

Also, one is output from Manuel and one is behind-the-scenes information in a forum post from Jick. There's a clear difference. If Jick told us that internally in the database they call monsters Hoobajoos, we would not feel particularly compelled to change our $monster data type to $hoobajoo.

Erich

I say keep $phylum. My reasoning for that is not interesting to anyone, and my clout in this community means nothing... but I'm just coming from this perspective:

Jick says it's cool that phylum is used despite them calling it categories internally.

... whatever.

Darzil

Developer
Also, monsters missing from my lists, and not yet in Mafia :

Mer-kin balldodger Init: -10000 P: mer-kin
Mer-kin bladeswitcher Init: -10000 P: mer-kin
Mer-kin netdragger Init: -10000 P: mer-kin
Shub-Jigguwatt, Elder God of Violence Att: 4000 Def: 4000 HP: 10000 Init: 10000 P: horror
Yog-Urt, Elder Goddess of Hatred Att: 400 Def: 400 HP: 750 Init: 10000 P: horror

Have left Att, Def and HP out for the first three, as the decision on how to express them, being based on round counts, has not been decided, but I don't think this should mean they aren't added as monsters.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
More useful than what Darzil posted would be a patch to apply, or a file that has all monsters including the ones with no changes.

Winterbay

It's in the .jar file if you open it up with say WinZip or similar you can find it in /data in there.

Darzil

Developer
Well, that's done I think. Hope I have the format unchanged (used Notepad++), and haven't made any mistakes (corrected one from the last file). I think I've managed to add details added for all the monsters since I did the last update.

Attachments

• monsters.txt
    156 KB · Views: 271

roippi

Developer
So.. I don't want to seem ungrateful that you likely put in a lot of work to that. But that file has so many errors in it to be completely unusable. Right off the cuff using a diff viewer I see:

-A typo in the first line ("Handyman" Jay -> "Handyman"J ay
-A random number of tabs added to the end of every single line
-Monsters incorrectly moved around
-Monsters deleted (Cluster of angry bacteria)
-Capitalization randomly deleted(elephant (meatcar?) topiary animal)
-Drops deleted from monsters (Giant Squid)

Maybe other stuff, didn't go over it very thoroughly. So.. I dunno man.

Darzil

Developer
Sorted, I think. Can you recommend a good free diff tool ? (checked this update by flicking back and forth between the two files and trusting to eyes to spot movement)

Typo in first line fixed.
White space at end removed (manually, sadly).
Bowling Cricket and Bow-making Mummy swapped back.
Cluster of angry bacteria returned.
Capitalization of Topiary animal return to Mafia rather than Manuel capitalisation
Drops added since my first file to monsters and changed in my first file added (Giant Squid - but checked the other sauce drops).

This number of updates with the amount of pasting between different tools and manual fixes was bound to hit issues. This will, I'm afraid, be a bit iterative.

Attachments

• monsters.new.txt
    153.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Can you recommend a good free diff tool ?

I am using Windows and have found that WinMerge is free and has served me well for several years.

If you are on *nix then you should be able to get diff or one of its variants.

If you are really conflicted and want to do things differently, Cygwin has several diff tools and will let you feel all warm and in control because you are working at the command line.

Darzil

Developer
Thanks. It was a lot of work, so not surprised (either that you had to make fixes or that it saved a lot of work!).

Bale

Minion
There is a compare-tool for Notepad++ that works fine as well. It can be found as a plugin here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/

I've been using WinMerge for a long time, but when you posted this I was excited about the possibility of being able to use my chosen editor as a compare tool! Tried it. Am very sad to say that it will not replace WinMerge. I recommend that you try WinMerge to discover why I find this compare tool barely adequate. Sadness. Am hoping they will improve the plugin so that I might one day be able to use it.

When WinMerge 3 is released I truly hope it will be as good as WinMerge 2. I've seen too many projects ruined by feature creep when all WinMerge really needs is greater easy of opening files from the UI.

Last edited:

Winterbay

*shrug* I only tend to look at diffs of .ash-files and I only tend to do that in Notepad++ which leads to this being the most useful thing so far. Having to use a second program just isn't as convenient, and the features I want are all there so... :)

What features do you feel is lacking?

Bale

Minion
I could not find any way to identify the locations of all changes without actually looking through the script and checking for the icon at the beginning of each changed line. The navigation bar on the right only showed me deletions and additions. Did I miss some option? Also, is there a way to copy changes from one view to the other without having to copy/paste them?