How to upload my whole KOL folder automatically before I shutdown my computer?

I was wondering if it's possible to have a script upload my whole KOL folder to an online site like Dropbox or something so I can download it from a different computer. I'm usually using different computers throughout the day.

Apparently I could do this with a Dropbox app. http://satyadeepk.in/dropbox-folder-sync/

Now I'm wondering if I can somehow make it run by itself before I shutdown?

Last edited:

Winterbay

Well, dropbox syncs continuously so if you set that up it should be up to date at all times. I don't think you can get anything in Mafia to go through and upload everything for you since there are some files you cannot access with Mafia for security reasons.

Bale

Minion
Apparently I could do this with a Dropbox app. http://satyadeepk.in/dropbox-folder-sync/

Now I'm wondering if I can somehow make it run by itself before I shutdown?

Dropbox is an application which should run automatically at system startup. As long as it is running it will upload any changes to the cloud. (And download any changes that were made to your files from another computer which is linked to your dropbox account.) You won't need to make it run on shutdown because you're already in sync unless you close the application.

As long as your mafia folder is in your dropbox folder, you can run it on all your computers without ever having to think about your settings. It just works.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Ah thank you!

What Bale said. Some minor comments. First it sometimes takes a bit for Dropbox to synch and I have had cases where I would run mafia on a computer before Dropbox had synched and so there would be "conflicted" files. Easiest thing to do is just not start mafia until Dropbox thinks it is done synching. Second, I keep the mafia jar file in Dropbox because it is easier for me to manage updates. That works for me but you do have to pay attention when trying to set things up so that mafia always runs from the Dropbox jar file. Finally, the graphics capabilities and display resolutions are vastly different on the computers I am using and window sizes and locations need some tweaking when I run on the least capable computer after having run on the other one.

Theraze

For that last one, I just tell mafia not to save window positions. Always generates new windows based on the computer I'm using rather than based on the past.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
For that last one, I just tell mafia not to save window positions. Always generates new windows based on the computer I'm using rather than based on the past.

At some point there was something I used in a Tab that made mafia think it needed to make huge windows. At the time, the work around was to save window sizes because that prevented the one component from driving the size. (Instead it just appeared with scroll bars). I have not bothered to forget the size saving in hopes that the other issue was addressed but someone with a different configuration might prefer to have more consistency across computers.

Bale

Minion
What Bale said. Some minor comments. First it sometimes takes a bit for Dropbox to synch and I have had cases where I would run mafia on a computer before Dropbox had synched and so there would be "conflicted" files. Easiest thing to do is just not start mafia until Dropbox thinks it is done synching.

You don't like to start dropbox on system startup? 'Cause that would take care of your problem, right?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Yeah. I start Dropbox with the system but I synch things besides mafia and I have seen cases where there is a five minute lag between when my system has booted enough to allow operator interaction and the time when Dropbox is synched. The obvious exception is when there are Very Large Files being synched in which case times are much higher, although in that case the mafia files have already synch'd.

The only "problem" is my impatience to start mafia ASAP after boot ;-)

zanmatoer

There are individual icons for each folder within your Dropbox, so if you open the folder that your KolMafia .jar/.exe is in, you can easily check whether all Mafia files are synced, even if the rest of your Dropbox is busy doing it's own thing.

Last edited: