playing around with new maximize()

roippi

Developer
Okay, you keep moving the goalposts. Which is frustrating. But I'll keep responding.

Here's what I'm saying isn't easy: imagine that you want to maximize() familiar weight (or any other stat where familiar weight is beneficial), and $effect[chorale of companionship] is recommended. That's the starting point, $effect[chorale of companionship].

Well, no. The starting point is a record containing the effect, a command that the maximizer recommends to get that effect, and if applicable an item to use to get that effect. That answers basically all of your above questions all at once. Yes, with some very straightforward string parsing if it's a skill. I'll probably add a $skill field to the record eventually to eliminate that, which is not what you've been asking for but will be actually useful.

Now, you're asking for two more proxy fields on $effect which are essentially $effect.all parsed out into $effect.items and $effect.skills. Okay. But say I implemented those new proxy fields and gave you $effect[chorale]. Now, what did the maximizer recommend to use? Oh wait, that information is not actually in the proxy field. It's back in the record in the .item or eventual .skill field, or available by parsing the command string.

Last edited:

nworbetan

And now that I think about it .skill is trivial to implement, so I just did that.

I apologize if it seems like I'm moving the goalposts. To me it still feels like I'm looking for an easier way to work with $effects[], and I'm trying to be flexible about what the best solution might be, and learning things as I go. It looks like the .skill and .item fields (along with everything else) you added to the new maximize() record are going to be pretty useful.

I still think it would also be just as useful if the .skill and .items fields were added to $effects[] too, but at this point I probably sound like a broken record about that.

xKiv

I still think it would also be just as useful if the .skill and .items fields were added to $effects[] too, but at this point I probably sound like a broken record about that.

I don't think it would increase usefulness appreciately until there would be a fully hierarchical structure that could express
1) list of all possible ways to get the effect
2) mutual exclusiveness of some of those ways
3) sequence of necessary actions for each of those ways that isn't a simple command
4) how to make each of the ways repeatable, or why it's not possible (x/day limit, ...)

(then you can have separate duration (per use) on each of these ways; you can't do that for $effects[] because it just doesn't make sense)