acquire doesn't get hermit items?

I ran into this today where I couldn't use acquire to get a hermit item (sweet rims, in particular). I have both a permit and a worthless item. I started poking around the code, but figured I'd ask first before trying to change anything, as this seems like a fairly deliberate choice, to not be able to get hermit items. So... what's the deal? Is this something that for some reason the devs decided against, and if so, can anyone help me as to why? Or (shockingly, since it seems like such a basic feature), is this just something that's been missed, and I should take a shot at coding up a fix?

:) I'm just boggled it doesn't work...

Bale

Minion
Once upon a time KoL required adventures to acquire hermit items. (Specifically it required adventures to use the gum in the sewer.) That was a pretty good reason for acquire not to get hermit items.

Announcements said:
October 5, 2010
There was never a sewer in Seaside Town.

I think that this is just a remnant of those old days before October 5, 2010. Back then it made sense. Now that it only requires meat to use the hermit this would be a useful feature.

Last edited:
Aah, interesting. it was long enough since the change I had expected all remnants of the old-style hermit pillaging to be gone. Fair enough! I'll take a stab at it. :) it makes all kinds of useful things "just work" - I originally ran into the problem trying to create a meatcar.

Aah, the second! Well, then, my bad. :) Indeed, once I checked that checkbox, all was well in the world and the hermit was properly looted. sigh. I suspect I will never get a handle on all the prefs. Thanks!

slyz

Developer
It works for me:
Code:
> acquire 1 sweet rim

Verifying ingredients for sweet rims (1)...
Pulling items from storage...
Searching for "chewing gum on a string"...
Search complete.
Purchasing chewing gum on a string (1 @ 50)...
You acquire an item: chewing gum on a string
You spent 50 Meat
Purchases complete.
Using 1 chewing gum on a string...
You acquire an item: worthless trinket
Finished using 1 chewing gum on a string.
Searching for "hermit permit"...
Search complete.
Purchasing hermit permit (1 @ 100)...
You acquire an item: hermit permit
You spent 100 Meat
Purchases complete.
Purchasing sweet rims (1 @ 1 worthless item)...
Visiting the Hermit...
You acquire an item: sweet rims
Hermit successfully looted!
Successfully created sweet rims (1)

Make sure you have "Buy items with tokens at coin masters whenever needed" checked in Preferences -> General -> Item Acquisition.

EDIT: I need to refresh before posting in a page that I opened an hour ago.

Theraze

Especially if you actually opened it up 12 hours before. Since the prior post was 11 hours before yours, not one. :)