Unusual Mafia timeouts

Lilac

Please note: I don't think this is a Mafia problem. I've just tried everything I can think of and would really like some help.

Halfway through work today my Mafia daily build (10916) started having severe timeout issues. One in every seven or eight requests will take over a minute to process, whether it's in the relay browser or the CLI. Everything else is nice and speedy, and in vanilla KoL everything is snappy all the time.

I didn't change any relevant connection information between when it worked and when it started doing this. I figured that it might be my workplace's connection, but you'd think that if they blocked it, it just wouldn't work instead of dropping random requests. All non-KoL web requests are just fine. (I'm unable to test any connections other than my workplace's at this time.) I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, and didn't see any conflicting processes in netstat.

Any ideas? :(

edit: I've been playing like this for a while now. CLI commands are much more likely to trigger it than relay browser clicks, and the CLI is almost permanently stuck in the "gray" state.

Last edited:

anotherherring

Same thing's just happened to me, using build 10929 yesterday and today (same version worked fine two days ago, and 10916 and 10919 have shown the same behaviour. Mafia has become effectively unusable for me. I assumed it was some network problem, but there's no problem with vanilla KoL (except for the player who can't remember how to spot gremlins without nice fuchsia text hints...)

(likewise, I'm running Win7 64-bit)

anotherherring

Update: I think it's a network problem in fact; getting about 50% packet loss when I ping www.kingdomofloathing.com - many other sites, both physically close and translatlantic, seem fine, but there are some others that are failing similarly, so maybe some routing weirdness with my ISP. The difference between manual and mafia play is fairly odd though.
FWIW (in case anyone else is on the same network and having similar problems, my ISP is Be (which is effectively O2) in the UK.

roippi

Developer
I suggest setting allowSocketTimeouts=false. It's the option in the login window that says something about forcibly timing out requests.