Pixel Items

Metraxis

It it possible to have the item creator expicitly consider red, green, and blue pixels before considering white pixels when creating items, or at least not create white pixels when a larger item creation is going to fail?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
[quote author=holatuwol link=topic=1243.msg5800#msg5800 date=1190559167]
Do you mean red pixel potions vs. the digital key, or some other scenario?
[/quote]

My guess would be making something that requires white pixels and also red, green, or blue pixels - like monster bait.

monster bait needs 20 red pixels and 15 white pixels.

What happens if you have 20 red pixels, 5 green pixels, 5 blue pixels, and 10 white pixels? KoLmafia can make 5 more white pixels - thus attaining the necessary 15 - but will no longer have the necessary 20 red pixels. BUt KoLmafia handles that: I tested this on a multi with exactly the pixels I listed, and KoLmafia does NOT list monster bait as creatable in the Item Manager.

So there must be a different scenario and the OP will have to supply it. :)

Metraxis

It's actually a very similar scenario.

Relevant Inventory: 23 red pixels, 5 white pixels, 24 green pixels, and 26 blue pixels

Some turns previously, I had entered "conditions set digital key, monster bait" followed by "adv * 8-bit". On running out of turns, I saw "conditions not met after xx turns" (the number of turns escapes me at the moment, and should not be relevant), so I issued "conditions check" to see how many I would need to gather the next day. Despite not having enough total pixels to make the bait (the key had been successfully made already), KolMafia used 10 of the red pixels to make white pixels.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Maybe it's something to do with conditions, but when I have 23 red, 5 white, 24 green, and 26 blue in my inventory, the Item Manager does NOT list monster bait as creatable.

Can you show us the session log of your time in the 8-bit realm, starting from the "conditions set" at the beginning of the adventure sequence, and ending with you running out of turns?

Metraxis

I have the session log, but it does not contain any of my conditionals (or anything I typed into the gCLI). To try to repeat the error, you should try setting the condition, followed by 'conditions check'. In case it helps, here is the tail, though.

Code:
[511] 8-Bit Realm
Encounter: Buzzy Beetle
Round 0: Metraxis wins initiative!
Round 1: Metraxis attacks! (auto-attack)
Round 2: Toad does a little fairy dance.
Round 1: buzzy beetle takes 55 damage.
You acquire an item:  red pixel
You acquire an item:  white pixel
You gain 2 Muscleboundness
You gain 3 Wizardliness
You gain 2 Smarm

drink 1 redrum
You gain 5 Adventures
You gain 19 Enchantedness
You gain 3 Drunkenness

Trade 10 red pixel, 10 green pixel, 10 blue pixel
You acquire  10 white pixels

account.php?action=autoattack&whichattack=0

EDIT: No need to escape brackets in a code block.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, there are some things that are not quite as you described in your initial report:

[511] 8-Bit Realm
Encounter: Buzzy Beetle
You acquire an item: red pixel
You acquire an item: white pixel
You gain 2 Muscleboundness
You gain 3 Wizardliness
You gain 2 Smarm

drink 1 redrum
You gain 5 Adventures
You gain 19 Enchantedness
You gain 3 Drunkenness

Trade 10 red pixel, 10 green pixel, 10 blue pixel
You acquire 10 white pixels

Notice what happened:

- Turn 511 was an adventure in the 8-bit realm
- Then you drank redrum
- Then you traded in 10 RBG pixels for 10 white pixels.

The fact that you drank a redrum after your adventure but before creating the white pixels unambiguously tells us that your automatic adventuring with conditions in the 8-bit realm was over before the white pixels were made: KoLmafia does not spntaneously decide to drink booze after adventures before creating things to satisfy conditions.

Therefore, after your adventure sequence in the 8-bit realm finished, you drank a redrum and then did ... somthing ... that make KoLmafia create 10 white pixels for you.

Although, there IS something peculiar in your last battle:

Huh?

I'll leave this one for holatuwol to comment on.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Ah hah. Since I have never used the "conditions check" command, that went right on by me.

So, in theory, the following should reproduce this:

- Inventory: 23 red pixels, 5 white pixels, 24 green pixels, 26 blue pixels
- conditions add monster bait
- conditions check

Here's what happened when I tried this on a multi:

> inventory pixel

blue pixel (26)
green pixel (24)
red pixel (23)
white pixel (5)

> conditions add monster bait
Condition added: monster bait

> conditions check

You need 1 more monster bait to continue.
Conditions list validated against available items.

holatuwol

Developer
Oh, that.  When you issue a "conditions check", KoLmafia doesn't check to see if the whole creation is possible until after it tries to create each ingredient.

holatuwol

Developer
Double checking the code, it seems there are a few creation types which are exempt from the "create ingredients first" behavior, and that's star chart items, pixel items, wads, and clovers/dough. Meaning, my previous explanation doesn't apply to this situation.

As it stands, the only explanation is if KoLmafia doesn't properly track how many pixels you have available after you create items. So, you'd need to try adding 30 more white pixels, add a digital key to the conditions list, and then issue a "conditions check" and see what happens.