Newb help with auto-abort problem

antimarty

I'm writing a little hidden temple script where I want to adventure until beaten up, then do a tiny HP restore (3 HP with Doc Galaktik's Pungent Unguent) and continue. You can adventure at the temple even if beaten up.

But I can't figure out how to stop the script from aborting when I get beaten up. The relevant code fragment, with a debug line, is:

boolean im_not_beat_up;

im_not_beat_up = adventure(1, $location[ hidden temple ] );
echo( "im_not_beat_up = " + im_not_beat_up );

If the adventure() fails, I never see the echo() debug line, it just aborts right there, saying:
Insufficient health to continue (auto-abort triggered).

I searched the forums and saw something to the effect that there was a preferences setting that might avoid aborting on low HP, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I'm using version 8.9 and I have the auto recovery preferences set to:
Stop automation if auto-recovery fails
Auto-recover health at 0%
Try to recover up to 0% health

I've tried some other auto recovery numbers, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Anyway, can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

antimarty

[quote author=Jaxia link=topic=601.msg2864#msg2864 date=1164683364]
Change 'Auto-recover health at 0%' to 'Do not auto-recover health'
That should work.
[/quote]

I made the change and got the same error:

Visit to Woods: Hidden Temple in progress...
Encounter: Rolling Stone Trap
You lose 41 hit points
Insufficient health to continue (auto-abort triggered).

Try
Code:
visit_url("adventure.php?adv=17");
echo( "im_not_beat_up = " + have_effect($effect[beaten up]) );
I haven't been to the temple in ages because stat gains are so low, and there are no item drops.

antimarty

[quote author=efilnikufecin link=topic=601.msg3006#msg3006 date=1166285803]
I haven't been to the temple in ages because stat gains are so low, and there are no item drops.
[/quote]

Well, it's 50 stats per (successful) visit, more on stats days, and you can get there as a level 1 character. And the bad adventures don't cost much (a few HP, no MP if you use them before adventuring there). Is there somewhere better for low level players?

I gave up on the automated script for now because my character is up to lvl 15, but it would be nice to have it working for the next time I ascend.

[quote author=antimarty link=topic=601.msg3053#msg3053 date=1166453267]Well, it's 50 stats per (successful) visit, more on stats days, and you can get there as a level 1 character. And the bad adventures don't cost much (a few HP, no MP if you use them before adventuring there). Is there somewhere better for low level players?[/quote]

Well with proper equipment, skills, familiar, and npc store items the sleazy back alley can be better than the temple. if you choose a mysticality sign, substat gains can be increased even more.