Bug - Fixed Blind Wumpus Killing

Terrabull

If you kill the Wumpus while under the effect "Temporary Blindness" it does not reset your Wumpus cave. It will attempt to guide you through the old one, with disastrous consequences.

adeyke

Wumpus unrecognized if blind

If you fight the wumpus while affected by temporary blindness (which can happen from the giant octopus in the well), Mafia won't recognize that the wumpus has been defeated, so the next time you enter the cave, it'll think it still has the same layout.

This might be too trivial to actually address, though. In the meantime, I'll be sure to uneffect the blindness prior to continued adventuring.

torne

Wumpinator gets confused if you fight the wumpus while blind

After defeating the Wumpus while under the effect of Temporary Blindness, the next cavern still had the data from the previous one. I assume it failed to notice that I'd killed the Wumpus because of the lack of monster name?

Edit: Oops, this is a duplicate of http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?3725-Blind-Wumpus-Killing - sorry!

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm inclined to just say "don't do that". Considering that the Wumpus Cave is very much an aftercore thing, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't simply remove the blindness before adventuring there. (That also applies to essentially every other Bug Report we've had that says something like "I drank some white lightning and was blind, and when I adventured, KoLmafia didn't track some things the way it would have had I not been blind." For blindness afflicted on you during combat, I have more sympathy, but intentionally adventuring while blind? Sucks to be you.)

However, to address this particular issue, I suppose we could realize that the ONLY monster you will find in the Wumpus Cave, blind or not, is the wumpus. I.e., AdventureRequest.translateGenericType could always return "wumpus" if you were redirected to a fight from choice #360. Somehow.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
To veer, I have often done something stupid in run because I was blind and did not take appropriate action. I have often thought about a KoLmafia Feature Request that added a confirmation before adventuring while blind. I have not done so because a mood that aborted while blind would have a similar effect except in the case where I did not actually care I was blind and wanted to adventure regardless.

That said, I don't see any reason to spend the effort for special handling in the Wumpus Cave unless it is on the order of "three lines of code" trivial.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Only five years after the bug was first reported, revision 16091 fixes this. It also fixes disambiguating "the darkness (blind)" from "darkness" (the extinct Tower monster), which has been broken since we started being more rigorous the monster name capitalization.

This was the last open issue with our Wumpus support. Obviously, it is perfect now. :)