Transfering to a different computer

BFrost

Hi all!
I play from two different computers and I have a question - where various counter values etc are stored? What should I do to transfer cookie counter values etc to a different computer?
Thanks!

Grotfang

Developer
I shall assume you are simply talking about mafia's settings.

If you are a Windows user, then you probably saved the mafia .jar (or .exe) in a folder/directory. This is the ONLY directory that is used. Mafia, when first started, will have produced a load of sub-directories that it uses to store a load of stuff so you don't need to request it too often from the KoL servers. These will have names such as "buffs", "ccs", "clan", "data", "images", "relay", "scripts", "sessions" and "settings" (maybe not all of those, maybe some others) with stuff inside. To transfer all your settings and cached data, copy all of those across along with the .jar. However, the only really crucial one you will need is "settings" (and perhaps "data" if you use scripts from this site).

Mac users have theirs saved under "~/Library/Application Support/KoLmafia/". Take a look there and copy anything relevant across.

Linux users are a little more complex, but not much. Your files are all saved within a hidden directory under your account's home. Go to the account's home directory, and look for ".kolmafia". This is the directory to copy (same as in Windows) but must be saved in the account's home. So, if your username is grotfang, save it under "/home/grotfang/.kolmafia".

In short, counter values, password details and all that stuff is saved in your settings folder. Where you find this changes depending on your system.

EDIT: Given this question seems to come up in one way or another every few weeks, is it worth stickying an answer?

Last edited:

garjon

If you're only using mafia on one OS, I would reccommend using something like Dropbox. I store my mafia in my Dropbox, and on whatever Win PC I go to, the settings keep, and I can access it from just about anywhere.

Bale

Minion
EDIT: Given this question seems to come up in one way or another every few weeks, is it worth stickying an answer?

Probably. Anyway, I've finally saved this information as a note in my Opera, so I can simply right-click and insert note if the question comes up again. So in the future if it looks like I simply copy-pasted this response, the truth is that I have it on permanent file in my web browser. Thanks.

Last edited: