Way to get mall prices for all your inventory?

I havent seen anything like this. My thought was that as a new player, I really don't have much of an idea what is worth mall-selling, and what should be auto-sold.

I have quite a bit of stuff cluttering up the inventory and wish there was some script or something that would give me a list of all my stuff and how much it is supposedly worth.

There is a greasemonkey script that comes close, but nothing Mafia related that I am aware of.

Another question: I guess mall price lookups either take too long or are not possible? How accurate are the various price lists that some scripts refer to? How are they updated?

Thanks!

mredge73

Here is a good resource:
http://items.ofloathing.org/index.php?

Script writers have 3 sources for pricing info and none of which are up to the minute accurate. I use this for the daily lowest prices for items: http://items.ofloathing.org/today.txt It is updated daily for the lowest price in the mall.
Mafia only has access to the 5th lowest price in the mall. It holds a list of these and can be accessed by using the ash command historic_price(item).
Mafia can get the current 5th lowest price once a day as well using mall_price(item).
So for my purposes I average historic_price() with the item of loathing price to get a roundabout idea on how much I can get from an item.

There are many scripts out there that go through your inventory for you and clean it out by autoselling, smashing, and mallselling. Check out mine (HC Inventory Control) and Bale's OCD inventory control.

mredge73

I thought that your question was interesting enough that I built a new tool this morning.

Included in this unofficial Item List release. You can run the script directly or use this alias:
alias PriceAnalyzer => ash import <MrEdge73's Support Script -- Item Lists (Beta).ash> PriceAnalyzer();

It will create InventoryAnalysis.html in you data folder. This script is information only so it won't destroy any items. It will list all of your items with the historic_price(), items of loathing price, average of both, autosell price, and my recommendation (autosell everything cheaper than a twinkly wad).

Attachments

• MrEdge73's Support Script -- Item Lists (Beta).ash
    77.2 KB · Views: 157

slyz

Developer
This would be a very nice place to start using PriceAdvisor for advice on what to do with items.

slyz

Developer
mredge73: I completely butchered the script you posted here to output advice from PriceAdvisor.ash...

PriceAdvisor (and the scripts it depends on) are needed for this to run.

It's pretty simple to use (call & forget). I added at the top a map of strings contained in 'absurd' advices you don't want appearing - one example is
box: acquire 1 wrapping paper; make 1 present; mallsell 1 present: 1.23916992E8 meat.
Please add them in as you go and share it with us, while aqualectrix hammers out the bugs.

By the way, someone please save me from those HTML color codes!

Attachments

• PriceAnalyzer.ash
    3.3 KB · Views: 132

slyz

Developer
Back, with a little color-coding.

Warning: with a lots of items in your inventory, this could take a while, and search for *many* mall prices... It might also bloat your memory I guess. I try to closet everything I want to keep beforehand (it's purely informational, so nothing will happen if you don't closet).

I would recommend restarting Mafia before using it, so that you are sure that all those prices will be updated over at zachbardon.com.

I tested with and without checking if an item is tradeable before getting an advice from PriceAdvisor, and got different results (without new mall prices being checked), so I'm leaving it in. the difference was 4,887,935 vs 4,938,451... I have a big inventory.

Here is the map of absurdities I put in:

Code:
string[int] Absurdities ;
Absurdities[0] = "skewered";
Absurdities[1] = "wrapping paper";
Absurdities[2] = "pirate zombie head";
Absurdities[3] = "wriggling tentacles";
Absurdities[4] = "twitching claw";
Absurdities[5] = "dead guy's memento";
Absurdities[6] = "caustic slime nodule";
Absurdities[7] = "parasitic tentacles";
Absurdities[8] = "scary death orb";

They are mostly things that are hard to acquire but are recommended due to not having mall prices, or things that don't sell well enough that it's worth to flood the market with. I don't think buying 12 double sided tapes is the best idea to profit from my dead guy's watches =)

Fun fact: the default key for a newly-created string[string] map is "default".

Attachments

• PriceAnalyzer.ash
    4.6 KB · Views: 142
slyz -- you'll be happy to know that the next version of PA will have an option to not generate any advice that recommends acquiring stuff that costs above your autoBuyPriceLimit. It gets rid of a bunch of the really crazy stuff. I should be releasing it sometime this week.

slyz

Developer
An absurdity could also be an advice to make and sell an item you know won't sell fast, even if it's cheap, or just serve as a filter for things you want to keep.

A PA update will always be welcome, I am still very impressed with it.

lingh0e

mredge73: I completely butchered the script you posted here to output advice from PriceAdvisor.ash...

Nice! Can you please advise me on how to get the quantities of PriceAdvisor Recommendation column to match the item_amount? I have 50 bottles of rum, the advice is still "mallsell 1 bottle of rum".

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
There's no easy way to go about doing that, unfortunately. You can either manually replace that string with "mallsell 0 bottle of rum" or try some ridiculous string manipulation.

Winterbay

Man does this script take long to run on my work laptop. It is interesting the difference between two computers. Maybe I should just try it when I get home instead...

Also: What order does the script use to go through the items? It seems to be very random...

Edit:
A question:
I had 1 floaty inverse geode in my inventory. The script gave the following recommendation:
Code:
Items: floaty inverse geode
Amount: 1
Mall Price: 650000
AutoSell Price: 0
PriceAdvisor Profit: 6462200
Total Profit: 6462200
PriceAdvisor Recomendation:
use 1 floaty inverse geode; acquire 4 floaty gravel; make 1 floaty rock;
acquire 1 wok lobster; make 1 rock lobster; mallsell 1 rock lobster;
acquire 4 floaty pebbles; make 1 floaty gravel; acquire 4 floaty gravel; make 1 floaty rock;
acquire 4 floaty sand; make 1 floaty pebbles; acquire 4 floaty pebbles; make 1 floaty gravel; acquire 4 floaty gravel; make 1 floaty rock;
acquire 1 wok lobster; make 1 rock lobster; mallsell 1 rock lobster

Where did it get the insane amount of stuff to make rock lobsters from?

Last edited:
As the author of PriceAdvisor, I'll try to answer this:

This is a consequence of PriceAdvisor's not-so-clear handling of "expected results". Checking the wiki, we see that using a floaty inverse geode gives:
7-10 sand
2-6 pebbles
0-2 gravel
0-1 rocks

What PA is trying to say is "turn whatever stuff you get into rocks (buying whatever extras you need to do so), and make rock lobsters", but it's not very good at communicating this because
a) it doesn't know how to talk about expected results very well, although it does the math correctly (i.e. it calculates profit as if you get .5 of a floaty rock, but it outputs stuff about 1 floaty rock)
b) it doesn't account for things like using the sand you get from the geode to make pebbles, which you can use to make gravel, which you can use to make a rock, so it treats each result separately.

So what it is trying to say (and utterly failing to communicate) is:

use 1 floaty inverse geode;
This, at least, is easy to understand!

acquire 4 floaty gravel; make 1 floaty rock; acquire 1 wok lobster; make 1 rock lobster; mallsell 1 rock lobster;
Get however many gravel you need to make a rock with the gravel you have. Make the rock, get a wok lobster, make a rock lobster, and sell it.

acquire 4 floaty pebbles; make 1 floaty gravel; acquire 4 floaty gravel; make 1 floaty rock;acquire 1 wok lobster; make 1 rock lobster; mallsell 1 rock lobster;
Get however many pebbles you need to make gravel with the pebbles you have. Make the gravel, and get however many gravel you need to make a rock. Make the rock, get a wok lobster, make a rock lobster, and sell it.

acquire 1 wok lobster; make 1 rock lobster; mallsell 1 rock lobster
If you got a rock from the geode, get a wok lobster. Make a rock lobster and sell it.

acquire 4 floaty sand; make 1 floaty pebbles; acquire 4 floaty pebbles; make 1 floaty gravel; acquire 4 floaty gravel; make 1 floaty rock; acquire 1 wok lobster; make 1 rock lobster; mallsell 1 rock lobster
Get however many sand you need to make pebbles with the sand you got from the geode. Make the pebbles, and get however many more you need to make gravel. Make the gravel, and get however many more you need to make a rock. Make the rock, get a wok lobster, make the rock lobster, and sell it.

I realize this is almost completely opaque, and I apologize. Better output for expected results is something I am working on, but Real Life has been pretty heavy with the time commitments lately.

Winterbay

Thanks for the response. I guessed it was something in that regard. I made 1 rock lobster from my 10 floaty sand and 3 pebbles that I got (+100 floaty sand from the malls since that was the most cost efficient way to get a rock) and put that in the mall.

What I noticed while doing the calculations for this was that you can actually make around 50k from just buying 125 floaty sand and a lobster and mall selling the resulting rock lobster which is somewhat unusual for the Mall of Loathing I find.

slyz

Developer
The problem is that you are putting in a lot of meat to make only 50k... eventually. PriceAdvisor's recommendations are not always to be followed blindly! I still find that it is a great tool, and I hope aqua still has some ideas for it =)

slyz

Developer
I'm posting a slightly modified version of PriceAnalyzer here to answer a request.

I added a checkLocation map at the top where you can specify locations. You will only get advice for the items that drop from those locations. You will need to edit the script to add locations, unfortunately.

I also added a priceAnalyzer_onlyLocationDrops zlib variable, default false. After running the new version, you can set it to true by doing zlib priceAnalyzer_onlyLocationDrops = true in the gCLI.

Attachments

• PriceAnalyzer.ash
    5.1 KB · Views: 54

Jar of Jam

Slyz, for whatever reason I'm getting zero suggestions from your script - the .html is generated, but no items are mentioned there. What am I doing wrong ? r8800, both PriceAdvisor and SmashLib are in place.