Space Tripper: automatic Space Trip

guyy

"Tripping through Space on the Speed of Light"

Inspired and heavily influenced by a guide by scotticus (with help from Groli, Desatysso, and Deathless Assassin), this script plays Space Trip completely automatically, and attempts to win (duh) with the highest score it can manage (usually 24,000 to 30,000 points).

If all goes according to plan, no input is required or, for that matter, possible. Just buy a Game Grid token, run the script, and it will win Space Trip for you in a few minutes, then open the relay browser to the end-of-game screen. If Space Trip is already running, return to the bridge and run the script to let it try to finish the game for you; though it may run into problems if the game is in a weird situation.

Minor customization:
Set ST_QuickWin to true if you just want to win the game as quickly as possible to unlock the headphones (no grinding for a high score).
Set ST_ShowScore to false if you don't want the relay browser to open when the game ends; instead, Mafia will show your final score, and that's it.
Set ST_Initials to something valid AND set ST_ShowScore to false to have the script submit high scores automatically, with the given initials (must be 3 A-Z characters).
Set ST_DebugData to true to record button presses and redundant crew/gas/crabs/weeks info, to help with debugging.

Major customization:
The standard strategy is based on the guide above, but you can mess around with the win-procedure if you want to; the code for this starts at "Space-tripping procedure begins here" near the bottom of the code. The numerous sub-functions should make the process relatively easy to modify...just make sure not to tell the script to press a button that isn't there or something, or it won't be happy with you.

Current scripted high score: 34,862 by Bluewoods!

Install with this command:
Code:
svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/guyymafia/code/spacetripper/

Versioning:
0.01 - strategy process cleanup, use level 3 weapon + mirror as sub for single-shot torpedoes
0.02 - additional slaver slaughtering, quick-win option
0.03 - gas management fixes, less getting blown up in Gamma (probably)
0.04 - (optional) removal of redundant debug-data logging
0.05 - fixed not buying upgrades after getting level 3 weapon + mirror with no torpedoes
0.06 - avoid suicidally attacking slavers, don't try to reach the source with only 30 gas

Last edited:

Catch-22

Awesome, now I don't have to finish mine.

You wouldn't happen to be working on a Demonstar or Meteoid script would you? :p

guyy

You wouldn't happen to be working on a Demonstar or Meteoid script would you? :p

Not really. I've never even played either of those games, so I wouldn't have much of an idea of how to do it. :p But if I find a similar handy guide for one of those games, I might try it.

adeyke

Thanks for this script. I'd been rather intimidated by the game, so I'd put off even trying it. Given how long it took even scripted, I'm not sure I was wrong about it. This gave me the last of the arcade item unlocks.

Theraze

Demonstar is easy, using the wiki talk tips. Got it my second try.

Equip a 90 damage weapon. Maximize da -weapon.
Now fly around. Go to white circles (mines) if possible, preferring ones without black circles (warriors/miners). Anytime your square has something in it, attack warriors, miners, and mines, in that order.
As soon as Demonstar shows up, release a mine, then fly in the opposite direction from the mine. Repeat the release/fly until you win. If you have 13+ mines, you should definitely win. With less, you might, but it's less likely.

But yeah, thanks for this script. :)

guyy

Many welcomes to all! The scoreboard appears to be completely saturated with Space Tripper scores...I feel like some kind of evil mastermind. Speaking of which, its current high score is 31,458, so tell me if you get a higher one with it.

I tried out DemonStar and Meteoid; the latter seemed pretty easy, if you know what to do (won on my second attempt by getting Ice Beam quickly and letting monsters beat me up so I could save bombs and missiles for getting into treasure rooms). Meteoid would be a pain to script, though (reading that map thingy, and figuring out the best route...yikes).

DemonStar might be doable since the strategy and HTML are both pretty simple, though it's also sorta tricky because you need as much damage absorption as possible to win easily; apparently you get better shields based on that?

Theraze

Shield are based on your DA, mining/attacking is based on your weapon power. Too much and you can't get bombs, too little and you'll get killed by the warriors.

Catch-22

DemonStar might be doable since the strategy and HTML are both pretty simple, though it's also sorta tricky because you need as much damage absorption as possible to win easily; apparently you get better shields based on that?

I only ask because I'm working rather slowly on automating these myself, so I'd stop working on mine if you were working on yours :)

I've seen the DemonStar strategies and they are pretty simple to implement, I've just no time.

As for a Meteoid script, well it's always been at the back of my mind as something fun to do, haha.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Meteoid strategy isn't too hard, but even with great luck early on such that you get to level 5 with all upgrades you're still dependent on luck at level 5 to find the boss while you still have enough HP and missiles to win the fight. I think I spent about 5 games picking up on all of the strategy, and another 15 to get lucky enough to beat it. Parsing the map that you can get seems harder than the chain of choice adventures for other games too.

Script was successful 6/6 times. Very nice. My high score was 30,768.

I'd suggest having an option for less verbose output.

guyy

I only ask because I'm working rather slowly on automating these myself, so I'd stop working on mine if you were working on yours :)

I've seen the DemonStar strategies and they are pretty simple to implement, I've just no time.

As for a Meteoid script, well it's always been at the back of my mind as something fun to do, haha.

I guess I'll leave DemonStar to you eventually doing it, then. :p

Meteoid might be interesting to try, though definitely complicated. I actually had more trouble with bad luck in the early levels...I skipped getting the Ice Beam on after the first level once, and all the treasures in the next level were behind rocketsnails. Seriously. Beating Mother Brain in the last level isn't too hard, though; she always seems to be behind a left-facing white door, so once you find the map you can find and kill her pretty reliably. And the Meteoids always drop lots of health, which helps.

I'd suggest having an option for less verbose output.

I took out some of the unnecessary data from the log, with an option to put it back in; though I can't do anything about the black text, because Mafia generates that on its own.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
FRO 31,426
FRO 29,897
FRO 29,742

#1-#3 out of five runs but I see 31,426 is only the second highest automated score.

NataliaM

Thanks so much. I was dreading going after this one myself (after many failures). Script did it first try, 26k pts.

guyy

This script's been having one or two new users trickle in every day pretty consistently...except for yesterday, when there were suddenly about 30 new ones. And today, there were more than 90.

So...um...hi?

I guess this probably has something to do with Lord Flameface, but...yikes.