Universal Recovery Script

Bale

Minion
tgetget, if you have experience with a counterScript not working when Universal_recovery (or any other method) uses a turn to rest at the campground, please report that as a mafia bug.

zarqon

Hello Bale.

Feature request: completely disallow mall access (including calling mall_price()) if my_ascensions() == 0 && my_level() < 5. For new characters can_interact() returns true despite no mall access. Presently, enabling UR on a new character results in a very ugly infinite mall-searching loop every time you need restoration.

shazbot

Hello Bale.

Feature request: completely disallow mall access (including calling mall_price()) if my_ascensions() == 0 && my_level() < 5. For new characters can_interact() returns true despite no mall access. Presently, enabling UR on a new character results in a very ugly infinite mall-searching loop every time you need restoration.

That sounds like a mafia issue with their can_interact() implementation

Bale

Minion
Although that is an edge case to have never ascended and be less than level 5, it must be a really annoying edge case.

I'm not sure if that should be counted as a can_interact() issue or it is working as necessary. Since mall_price() fails, I side for bug.

zarqon

I side for Not a Bug, as far as can_interact() goes. You can interact, just can't shop at the Mall of Loathing. It's easy enough to work around in a script.

PHP:
boolean can_mall() {
   if (my_ascensions() == 0 && my_level() < 5) return false;
   return can_interact();
}

However, for mall_price(), it's probably a bug.

Crowther

I'm a bit confused as to why expensive restoring items are used before cheaper ones. This character is level 90 and has over one thousand MMJ's in inventory. Why was a banana spritzer used at something like 120x the cost per MP? Am I using the script wrong? I don't even see banana spritzer on mafia restore list and it's certainly not checked.

Restoring HP! Currently at 8200 of 16635 HP, 1213 of 80802 MP, current meat: 7623427 ... Target HP = 15804.
Restoring MP! Currently at 8200 of 16635 HP, 1213 of 80802 MP, current meat: 7623427 ... Target MP = 8087.
Using 49 magical mystery juice...
You gain 6,867 Mojo Points
Finished using 49 magical mystery juice.
Using 1 banana spritzer...
You gain 58 Mojo Points
Finished using 1 banana spritzer.
Using 1 scroll of drastic healing...
Finished using 1 scroll of drastic healing.

Winterbay

Because using 1 more mmj would've given you 80 MP more than you needed and in that world the spritzer was probably better value for your meat without wasting generated MP.

Crowther

Because using 1 more mmj would've given you 80 MP more than you needed and in that world the spritzer was probably better value for your meat without wasting generated MP.
MMJ is ~100 meat and a banana spritzer is ~4K meat, so I don't see how that works out as cheaper.

Bale

Minion

That doesn't make sense to me. That's not a concern in aftercore. Additionally, the MP would not be wasted since max MP was much higher than that. Actually things are even weirder than that...

1213 starting MP + 6,867 MP (49 magical mystery juice) = 8110 MP (that's higher than the target of 8087 MP)

Why should it then do any more restoration? The banana spritzer was completely superfluous!

slyz

Developer
Having "Prefer using inventory instead of mall, regardless of value" checked would perhaps explain why a banana spritzer was chosen. I don't see why it was used after the goal was reached, though.
I don't even see banana spritzer on mafia restore list and it's certainly not checked.
Universal Recovery considers all HP/MP restorers, even those not in Mafia's list. See the first post of this thread for more details.

Bale

Minion
slyz is correct. It seems likely that Crowther set the script to "Prefer using inventory instead of mall, regardless of value". If so, then this is an example of the script not being used correctly. I included that option because some people kept insisting that anything in their inventory is "free". I don't get that point of view since banana spritzers can be sold in the mall for enough meat to buy other items that will restore many times their value.

Am I using the script wrong?

Crowther, since you consider things in your inventory to have value, you are using the script wrong and you should not enable that option.

xKiv

Except he quoted having over a thousand MMJs in inventory, in which case the next restorative should have been another mmj long before the spritzer, no?
Or are MMJs handled differently?

Theraze

If cost is 0, then the best restorative is the one that brings you closest to your goal. Another MMJ would have taken him farther over the 7 still required than the banana did. (Note that, as I pointed out above, there was still 7 mana to restore after finishing up those MMJs.)

Bale

Minion
The name of the preference is "Prefer using inventory instead of mall, regardless of value" and it really does mean regardless of value. Nobody should ever use that preference unless they really, honestly think that items in their inventory are free.

That's why I added that "feature" under protest and only after many people requested it. I think it is stupid, but it shut up the people who wanted me to add it.

Bale

Minion
Universal recovery v 3.86 released!

Changelog:
version 3.86 April 19, 2011
  • Fix for un-ascended, low-level characters

Last edited:

Crowther

slyz is correct. It seems likely that Crowther set the script to "Prefer using inventory instead of mall, regardless of value".
That sounds like it could be the problem. I can't check from work. I wouldn't intentionally have set that. I've understood the concept of opportunity costs for over twenty years and I'm constantly trying to teach it to other on KoL (and failing just like Bale).

Sorry to sound like a confused noob. I have no baleUr settings at all. "grep baleUr settings/*" turns up empty. I don't think I've even seen the "GUI" for this script. It seems to me that maybe things defaulted the wrong way. I assume the property is "baleUr_UseInventoryInMallmode". I'll check what "get baleUr_UseInventoryInMallmode" returns when I can run mafia.