TheSea.ash - Automated Underwater Quests

Bale

Minion
Checkout should have done that. However something obviously went wrong. Hence my two instructions to check what went wrong. Please follow those instructions.

syrinxlui

I see what I did now. I did svn checkout. Didn't see that the command also copied it to the scripts directory, so I then deleted what I thought was the old one from my scripts directory. Then on subsequent svn checkouts it didn't re-copy it over into the scripts directory since the svn version was already current. Which was what you suspected. Anyway, all fixed now. Danke.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I played with TheSea several days ago, and then ascended. I freed the King today and than ran again. It said I had completed the monkey quests. I manually changed the Monkey Quest value from -1 to 5 and things started happening. I suspect that value needs to be reset after ascending or the code to do that is not quite right.

Thank you.

Magus_Prime

Would you be willing to add an outfit checkpoint when switching gear during the Caliginous Abyss and restoring the original gear after Mom has been rescued?

Bale

Minion
I see what I did now. I did svn checkout. Didn't see that the command also copied it to the scripts directory, so I then deleted what I thought was the old one from my scripts directory. Then on subsequent svn checkouts it didn't re-copy it over into the scripts directory since the svn version was already current. Which was what you suspected. Anyway, all fixed now. Danke.

There is a danger zone between "follow instructions exactly because user knows little" and "user needs no instructions because he knows everything". In the realm of "knows just enough to improvise," things can get complicated.

Theraze

I played with TheSea several days ago, and then ascended. I freed the King today and than ran again. It said I had completed the monkey quests. I manually changed the Monkey Quest value from -1 to 5 and things started happening. I suspect that value needs to be reset after ascending or the code to do that is not quite right.

Thank you.

Uh, that's because you changed the wrong value. monkeeQuest is how many family members you want to rescue. We default to 5, the whole family. The only way it would be set to -1 is if you did that manually. The value that checks how far we've done it is monkeeStep, which resets if monkeeAscension doesn't equal my_ascension.

Would you be willing to add an outfit checkpoint when switching gear during the Caliginous Abyss and restoring the original gear after Mom has been rescued?

I'll try to add this. Hopefully it will work. :)

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I won't claim I can prove I changed monkeyQuest and not monkeyStep or visa versa. I do know that things did not work, I changed one of them that was set to -1 to 5 and then things worked. I did not do anything in the Sea manually this Ascension and I had das boot and the aerated diving helmet in inventory from previous ascensions. The current values are 5 (Quest) and 4 (Step) and I have ascended since the report above and now. I'll play closer attention next time.

Lxndr

from the SVN sticky:

"Automates all underwater quests"

all? So does this go all the way to Dad Sea Monkee, and defeats him?

Winterbay

from the SVN sticky:

"Automates all underwater quests"

all? So does this go all the way to Dad Sea Monkee, and defeats him?

No, it does all quests up to the sea horse. It will also do the Scholar path but not the Gladiator path yet.

Theraze

Someday maybe. Defeats him, no. You missed this part:
Surviving combats is your responsibility.
Eventually get you all the way to Dad? Yep. Win the fight for you? Probably not. Maybe. Since it is a puzzle fight, we might automate it with visit_url, but... if mafia ever tracks his fight, we'll probably leave that on you. Or push it back off onto you. Either way.

Also, there's a "what this script actually does" in the OP. Reading is good.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm adding support for Dad that will parse the initial encounter and calculate his elemental weaknesses for the first 10 rounds. I'll make an ASH function - element dad_sea_monkee_weakness( int round ) - which will tell you. That'll make it easy enough for a consult script - which is called with a round number - to make the right decision.

Bale

Minion
I'm adding support for Dad that will parse the initial encounter and calculate his elemental weaknesses for the first 10 rounds. I'll make an ASH function - element dad_sea_monkee_weakness( int round ) - which will tell you. That'll make it easy enough for a consult script - which is called with a round number - to make the right decision.

Awesome. Then I'm reasonably confident that Winterbay/zarqon will make that happen.

Lxndr

Also, there's a "what this script actually does" in the OP. Reading is good.

Honestly, I know nothing ABOUT the Sea except what's mentioned in passing in chat channels and the KoL forums.

So your original post says "can automatically do..." followed by a list that for all I know means it will do "everything" (as the sticky that brought me here actually said).
But it didn't feel like 'everything' (as it didn't mention 'Dad', who I was under the impression was the final boss; but it could have also been that he wasn't worth mentioning) - so I thought I'd ask in here, rather than the sticky.

Sorry for bothering. :(

Theraze

Everything, depending on when it was posted, probably was. Before March of this year, when additional Sea content began to be released, we did everything possible in a wide variety of ways. For a year without needing a change. :)

Since then, there are more things possible. And if you look at our actual post here, we don't claim to do everything... just specific things. As to what gets posted in other places? Not something I can strictly control. Not something I especially care about. Not something that should be taken as in any way authoritative.

Magus_Prime

I went through the Caliginous Abyss today and while TheSea changed my outfit to assist it did not change it back after Mom was rescued. Auto-adventuring was interrupted when I lost a fight with a School of Many.

When I restarted the script it took off the, already equipped, shark jumper and scale-mail underwear and then re-equipped them.

That probably screwed up the outfit checkpoint.

Theraze

Yep. An outfit checkpoint only survives a single checkpoint... if the script aborted for any reason and you didn't restore the outfit yourself, that's not something I can really help.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'll post here although it is probably a mafia issue and maybe even a known one at that.

I run TheSea. It stops because WHAM can't figure out how to kill the School of Many. I finish the fight or get beat up doing so, depending. I start the script. It stops for one of several reasons but they all involve black glass. Sometimes it is a message about not having the item that is trying to be equipped. Other times, creation results fail when trying to get the black glass. When I go into the relay browser Little Brother seems to think I have the glass but it is neither equipped nor in my inventory.

Sometimes manually refreshing inventory will allow me to restart the script but sometimes I have to log out and back in before things get in synch.

My guess is that there is a game mechanic that can remove the black glass but KoLmafia does not detect that and update the inventory accordingly. Or something else? Thanks.

Theraze

What's happening in your case is that mafia is bugging on your equipment. It thinks that the black glass isn't being worn, while it actually is. This makes it not appear to available_amount. A refresh all should fix that. Noting the exact timing of when you aborted and making a replicable bug report, with debug log if possible, might make this not occur in the future.

I personally note a larger level of inventory shenanigans underwater. Unfortunately I haven't gotten it replicable in any sort of useful way yet. A refresh all is good though, since it gets both the inventory and worn parts back in sync and that... helps. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
KoLmafia literally never "bugs on inventory or worn equipment" for me. Those who it does - Theraze and you - obviously do something different in your normal game play than I do.

As Theraze says, give us a step by step description of what you do and what (bad) happened - a replicable bug report - and we can fix it.

Last edited: