The Unofficial Ascend.ash support thread.

Winterbay

Mafia also autostops if you have the hobo binder equipped and get a hobo glyph adventure. Not that it has much to do with the topic of this thread I guess, but it might be useful for the wiki-page perhaps?

zarqon

No; they are configurable scripted aborts. Hadn't realized the word "auto-stop" was officially reserved only for mafias automatic stops.

Also was unaware of mafia's auto-stops in the desert. There are some optimizations I could make now to the MacGuffin script.

Bale

Minion
It's a happy day when I'm able to teach something to you.

Mafia also autostops if you have the hobo binder equipped and get a hobo glyph adventure. Not that it has much to do with the topic of this thread I guess, but it might be useful for the wiki-page perhaps?
That's already on the kol wiki page. Read it! You might learn something also.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
What issues are you having integrating MacGuffin / Wossname? They need a wee bit of configuring (default auto-stops for Awkward/Spookyraven or turning in loot) on the user side, but otherwise they're fairly comprehensive.
The issues, so far, seem to be all configuration related which means that, other than a comprehensive, simple configuration guide, there is nothing I am ready to ask of you.

These are some of the questions/concerns I had but to the extent I investigated I think the solution lies in proper configuration of Ascend. Nevertheless...

Things were not well behaved when there was not enough meat to purchase the forged ID documents. Although "well behaved" in this case may be nothing more than a message tells me enough about why something stopped that I can resolve the issue.

Something would attempt to change an outfit, fail and then not give me any information about which outfit had the problem.

The configuration variable for the "default outfit" does not seem to be the same across the various scripts thus requiring it be set in multiple places. (Tangentially, I would be interested in an outfit definition and management functionality. Max Main, Max Meat, Max Item and Max Adv would account for 80% of my outfit usage and it would be wonderful to have automation that updated the outfit as new gear was obtained or became usable).

MacGuffin spent 300+ turns to open the Hidden City. Not sure why but that seems excessive. Have logs. Investigating is on to-do list.

Ascend failed to configure Macguffin so it would handle specters and bosses.

Macguffin was unable to automatically identify spheres. Don't know why.

Macguffin or Ascend should have prevented the Palidrome portion of the quest from occurring if there was not enough meat on hand to actually buy the required items.

Ascend/Wossname had problems staring the war. Have not investigated why.

General lack of coordination between scripts. If UR doesn't remove Beaten Up Ascend will continue to do the same thing that just got you Beaten Up. If, on the other hand, an Abort on Beaten Up mode is used then scripts Abort and the automation is defeated. SmartStasis handles gremlins but a CCS is used to handle specters.

However, let me say two things. First all of my testing so far with Ascend was with a character that was brand new and had never ascended. I know that is an edge case. Second, I'm sure I did not manually configure the external scripts correctly which is my problem, not the script's.

Xenthes

From my experience with the mcmuffin (I have also called it that since the quest was first put in) script, if you don't have items in your inventory to do elemental elemental damage mafia has fits keeps on trying and looping. Easily solved by making a CSS for the spectres though.

slyz

Developer
Just a few pointers:

Things were not well behaved when there was not enough meat to purchase the forged ID documents
macguffin.ash simply calls retrieve_item() to get the documents, so it would be Ascend.ash's responsibility to farm for meat beforehand.
(Tangentially, I would be interested in an outfit definition and management functionality. Max Main, Max Meat, Max Item and Max Adv would account for 80% of my outfit usage and it would be wonderful to have automation that updated the outfit as new gear was obtained or became usable).
Ascend.ash was released before the maximizer, I think. Equipment management would really be a great addition, if used wisely (especially for HC ascensions).
MacGuffin spent 300+ turns to open the Hidden City.
This is strange. Had the hidden temple been revealed already?
Macguffin was unable to automatically identify spheres. Don't know why.
Mafia has to be setup for automatic sphere identification by adding
PHP:
set_property("autoSphereID","true");
anywhere in ascend.ash, and by making sure that Mafia will execute special actions in combat. In ascend.ash, the battle action is set to use a CCS, so it's the user's responsibility to make sure this is the case. I guess bundling SmartStasis.ash and automatically using it would be the best thing to do (Zarqon might be entitled to quite a share of those Mr As now).
Macguffin or Ascend should have prevented the Palidrome portion of the quest from occurring if there was not enough meat on hand to actually buy the required items.
macguffin.ash can be imported and the separate steps can be called individually. This would allow to make sure some meat is farmed before calling never_odd_or_even().

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thanks. I figured most of the problems were due to either Ascend or the operator failing to configure something but I am lazy enough to appreciate someone telling me that, rather than having to look at it myself. Thank you.

As an update, my never ascended character has now ascended so I am closer to the expected use of Ascend.

I looked at some of the logs. I spent 287 turns in the Hidden Temple and all of them were automated. I'm reasonably certain some of them were done by macguffin before the diary was actually read so they would not have triggered opening the city. The script will try and use the diary but only if (my_ascensions > 0) I'm willing to chalk this up to a lack of RNG love coupled with an edge case that might actually be an abuse of the script.

zarqon

Whoa, that should be if my_ascensions() == 0 !!

As I understand it, the diary only actually needs to be read the very first time. I've already changed that here, and will update the script soon with this and whatever other changes I have the time/interest to make. :)

Most of the other issues slyz covered well (thanks!), but some of them are cases that the script should catch and, at the very least, abort. Trying to get documents or palindrome quest items without enough meat -- and then continuing along! -- is an error and should be handled differently. Usually I've plenty of meat by then so I've never come across this problem.

EDIT: I suspect that the Hidden City issue was due to something tinkering with your conditions while you were adventuring, such as BBB's automatic turtle-taming (which is known to be implemented imperfectly). Were you a TT with auto-taming on in BBB or did you click around in the Location/Goals area of the GUI while auto-adventuring?

EDIT 2: The OCW of less than a year ago had a longstanding error with starting the war using hippy-only warplans. Not sure if that's what you were going for or not, but it's a possibility. Were you using the current OCW?

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
As I understand it, the diary only actually needs to be read the very first time.

You have to read it every run. The only thing that changed is that looking at the first page counts as reading the entire thing (maybe not on your first run?), but since everyone got in the habit of viewing the text-only version it effectively made no difference.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
@ Zarqon

Seal clubber. I don't recall configuring SmartStasis and so the default values are most likely to apply.

Ascend doesn't configure Wossname and it was using the default, of fastest, Frat. I DL'd the file on May 9, 2010 so my hope is that it was the latest version available at that time.

I've been philosophizing about turn burning scripts. My general thought at this time is that a script that burns turns in one or more areas in order to satisfy a goal should either detect that the prerequisites for the area and goal are met or inform the user of what must be done before the script can run successfully and then Abort. (Actually for scripts that are used by other scripts, Exit with an error code is much preferred to an Abort). To use Macguffin as an example, I would want it to check that I had enough meat to buy the forged ID documents before I started looking for the map. I probably would want to abort rather than farm for meat if there wasn't enough. Ditto for the Palindrome and the meat to buy the items. However, I am ok with burning turns to obtain the tailsman. It doesn't have to open the Spookyraven basement for me but it should tell me that I need to do it. Obtain the diary if necessary, and then unconditionally use it once just to be safe, or check a mafia "diary used" variable if one exists. My mental model is mafia's Tower script. I run it and it either completes or tells me what I need before I can continue. In the latter case, I go off and do something to address the issue and then run the Tower script. Rinse and repeat until Her Naughtiness is breathlessly awaiting my Seal Club.

Bale

Minion
You have to read it every run. The only thing that changed is that looking at the first page counts as reading the entire thing (maybe not on your first run?), but since everyone got in the habit of viewing the text-only version it effectively made no difference.

This is true. I recently had trouble when I forgot to read the McGuffin Diary for the 50th time. It might be nice if mafia would just read the darn thing for me when I get it. After all, there's never a time when it's better not to have read it. (Okay, I can imagine a time... if I have an active dance card, then going to the Ballroom might negate the results of my dance card with Be Flat, but hopefully I'd be smart enough not to do that.)

retracell

I'm not sure if it has to do with me not configuring anything but when I run Ascend and it calls EatDrink it fills up my stomach to full capacity, my liver to to about three quarters and leaves my spleen empty. I think the lack of drinks and adventures is what disappoints my liver however I have four advs in my inventory that EatDrink does not consume. I'm in hardcore by the way.

Edit: I notice that it tries to buying crimbo consumables many times.

Edit2: Sorry if I'm asking a lot but... just making sure. There's currently no support for familiar swapping, buff upkeeping or roach/wormwood powerlevelling right?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge there is no support for familiar swapping (except as configured for Macguffin and Wossname). Buff upkeeping would seem to be covered by setting up mafia moods and I must confess that I'm not really aware of roach/wormwood powerleveling so I am almost certain it is not there. My experience so far is that Ascend is highly automated but it implements a play style that is somewhat inefficient and certainly not what I would personally do manually.

As for the spleen, I have been wondering if the branch merge on EatDrink that was posted above actually broke something with the spleen. My experience has been that it only considers the variations on fancy chocolates. I'll try and look more closely at that since I may have broken something.

Thanks.

Winterbay

Also, isn't ascend mainly built for softcore ascencions and not so much hardcore? I guess hardcore puts different demands on the script due to non-pulling and so on.

ETA: Also, eatdrink.ash (the latest version posted by you) works just fine for me with the updated version of farm.ash at least.

Last edited:

nsd45

I just downloaded and configured the files that came with ascend.ash im very noobish when it comes to this stuff but i couldnt find a fix posted maybe i just missed it im hopping someone can help. I am getting this message when i run the script

> call scripts\Ascend\Ascend.ash

Function 'explore_entire_city( )' undefined. This script may require a more recent version of KoLmafia and/or its supporting scripts. (Ascend.ash, line 1214)

im only lvl 5 on this character isnt that part of the macguffin quest and if so why is it already trying to run that part of the script?
ps.i have the latest kolmafia build and it still doesn't work

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I just downloaded and configured the files that came with ascend.ash im very noobish when it comes to this stuff but i couldnt find a fix posted maybe i just missed it im hopping someone can help. I am getting this message when i run the script

> call scripts\Ascend\Ascend.ash

Function 'explore_entire_city( )' undefined. This script may require a more recent version of KoLmafia and/or its supporting scripts. (Ascend.ash, line 1214)

im only lvl 5 on this character isnt that part of the macguffin quest and if so why is it already trying to run that part of the script?
ps.i have the latest kolmafia build and it still doesn't work

The error is mechanical - before the script runs, it checks to see that all the pieces are there as opposed to only checking when it needs a piece.

It 's probably time to get d_dj to update, but for the moment, to get the working version, follow my instructions here and then replace EatDrink with the version from here. I've lost track of where I have bundled the latest versions of zlib, MacGuffin wossname, etc. But I would try following the instructions mentioned above first. Those latter scripts will tell you to DL updates if you need them and as far as I know things work with the latest versions. Since I'm less than clear, feel free to ask questions. i should be able to suppress my Inner Snark when I answer ;)