New Content - Implemented PVP Revamp

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
At the least, it looks like Jack's Swagger Shop is a Coinmaster (token = swagger) and the Snack Bar is an NPC shop. Other than updating your swagger balance when we visit the Swagger Shop, we'd presumably have to track it when you gain (lose?) it in various ways.

Darzil

Developer
If you replay a fight where someone attacks you, beats you, and acquires a flower, Mafia currently thinks you've gained a flower.

philmasterplus

When viewing the PvP archives page through the relay, KoLmafia literally interprets "you acquire an item: pretty flower" and thinks it actually gained a pretty flower. This behavior occurs regardless of who (you or the other player) gained the flower. I assume similar behavior for item steal messages.

Darzil

Developer
I think stat losses aren't taken into account, which led to my character pane and my character sheet showing different amounts of Mox, Mus and Msyt.

Rinn

Developer
Should add a maximizer keyword that returns the equipment with the longest name (including spaces) for each slot. I might get to this, but I've been super busy recently.

Here someone take this and make the modifier name less terrible also maybe not make it a float modifier? idk it currently works but I don't like that if check. Also I'm not sure if it handles items with html character codes in the name (or how kol handles those)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/220774/Modifiers.java.patch

Last edited:

Rinn

Developer
The pvp cli commands also no longer work, as expected since all the page text and urls are different.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I thought about doing stuff to fix these up, but I got stuck at deciding what the commands should actually do. My personal use of mafia for pvp since the revamp (via visit_url, followed by repeat 60 or whatever number of fights I have left) has been to ballyhoo a random opponent. It seems like attacking a specific person needs to be possible, but there's no good way to specify a random opponent unless we want to pretend random (#675764) (last login was in 2007) doesn't exist. Ballyhoo was only ever possible with the Flower Hunter GUI. Flower hunting won't even be ascension useful starting May 15.

Bale

Minion
To be honest, unless someone really and truly cares about PvP, there isn't any reason to attack anyone other than a random opponent with ballyhoo. Losing to a random is as good as winning against a specific opponent and winning is twice as good. The math is obvious.

Mafia has never supported the full range of PvP in the past and this revamp doesn't inspire me to think that it should support the full range of PvP in the present. A cli command to ballyhoo a random is pretty darn good. I suppose there's some value in giving an option for flower, fame and loot, but that is all that matters.

If someone wants a more nuanced approach than that, they can always use the relay browser or perhaps you can add an ash command to script it. pvp(string stance, string objective) and pvp(string stance, string objective, string player) functions would cover all useful options for scripting.

Actually, if you want to seriously think about scripting PvP, a function to search players returning a map of player names would also be quite useful.

Last edited:
To be honest, unless someone really and truly cares about PvP, there isn't any reason to attack anyone other than a random opponent with ballyhoo. Losing to a random is as good as winning against a specific opponent and winning is twice as good. The math is obvious.

Mafia has never supported the full range of PvP in the past and this revamp doesn't inspire me to think that it should support the full range of PvP in the present. A cli command to ballyhoo a random is pretty darn good. I suppose there's some value in giving an option for flower, fame and loot, but that is all that matters.

If someone wants a more nuanced approach than that, they can always use the relay browser or perhaps you can add an ash command to script it. pvp(string stance, string objective) and pvp(string stance, string objective, string player) functions would cover all useful options for scripting.

Actually, if you want to seriously think about scripting PvP, a function to search players returning a map of player names would also be quite useful.

One command I used to use, and now don't, is "flowers" - would folk be alright with me tweaking that to work again? What I had used it for is an easy way to burn my pvp fights to get flowers. Now I see it as an easy way to burn my pvp fights to get swagger, by attacking a random opponent (while trying for flowers, of course). Make sense? Should I be trying to solve that in a different way?

Bale

Minion
Actually, that command should be called swagger, not flowers. Random flower fights maximize gaining swagger, not gaining flowers. (To maximize flowers you need to be much more selective and gain less swagger as a result.) Also, starting next week there will be little incentive to gain flowers. Of course we wouldn't want to lose backwards compatibility so yeah, that seems reasonable.

Actually, that command should be called swagger, not flowers. Random flower fights maximize gaining swagger, not gaining flowers. (To maximize flowers you need to be much more selective and gain less swagger as a result.) Also, starting next week there will be little incentive to gain flowers. Of course we wouldn't want to lose backwards compatibility so yeah, that seems reasonable.

Maybe then "swagger" does "random fights to gain swagger", defaulting to flowers, "swagger flowers" and "swagger fame" do the appropriate things, and "flowers is an alias to "swagger flowers"?

Also, why won't flowers be worth it in a week? because of the presumed change in the minigames? I thought that was further out than a week, but I haven't been paying too much attention.

Bale

Minion
Also, why won't flowers be worth it in a week? because of the presumed change in the minigames? I thought that was further out than a week, but I haven't been paying too much attention.

Starting May 15, flowers and items made from flowers will no longer have an autosell price. It was also said that the effects of flower pies and booze will be changed to weak +pvp foods that don't give you adventures. That will gut the major advantages of gaining flowers in hardcore. At that point minigames will be the only reason for flowers.

I guess you'll still want flowers for minigames until June 1 and maybe beyond, but they'll be a lot less useful.