New Content - Implemented Order of the Green Thumb: The Florist Friar

AlbinoRhino

Cool ! Someone needs to add a pasta ghost to the mix !

Maybe mafia should place its info above (or below) and just allow KoL to use that space as it will.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Is there any way that java can detect the screen resolution so mafia can put the bonus stuff like taffy summons, pasta summons and flowers on the NEXT line if the screen is too small for them?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Are you assuming a full-window browser with default charpane and chat frame widths? Detecting screen resolution is probably doable, but I don't think it's very useful for this issue.

roippi

Developer
Can't frame width be detected? Something like this:
http://www.java2s.com/Code/JavaScript/HTML/Getframesize.htm

Then we could just say that if the desired content is greater than some threshold, throw in a break.

That's javascript, not java. I'm not sure who you were replying to but yeah.

But anyway I think a quick fix is just with CSS using the "float" (and "clear") properties. Unfortunately I don't have the IOTMs in question so I can't really play around with it myself.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Considering how bad it looks with just the KoL-supplied text:

<picture> You're
fighting
a
school
of
many

... with the Manuel and plants on the right, perhaps we should bug report this to KoL and request that THEY fix the issue with vanilla KoL (using CSS, say) - and then modify how we add our own annotations after we see what they come up with.

Fluxxdog

Because KoL has a history of often fixing people's interface woes in less than a year?
They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If we make that squeal sounding more like a bunch of mice being chewed slowly by a cat getting skinned alive... yeah, that went creepy quickly. But you get the idea ^^ Veracity is right, gotta fix the main problem first. Let's squeak!

Bale

Minion
They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If we make that squeal sounding more like a bunch of mice being chewed slowly by a cat getting skinned alive... yeah, that went creepy quickly. But you get the idea ^^ Veracity is right, gotta fix the main problem first. Let's squeak!

Okay, the first two things you need to do to get an interface change is to bring it up on the radio show and create a popular thread in G-D. That is your mission, if you choose to accept it.

Bale

Minion
And jick says:

I agree that it's getting a little wide. My plan was to add an account menu option to not display the plants, or maybe to display them textually.

I do like the idea of the Manuel data in a row underneath. Maybe I'll add that option too.

Eoo! Successful thread in G-D accomplished. Next step, radio question! This might actually get fixed on the KoL side after all!

Fluxxdog

I asked the question listing what steps he'd need to take. Honestly, I'm curious about the design process myself.

Also asked about baked goods. We don't always get to donate at least once a month like we prefer.

EDIT: Unfortuneately, I won't be able to listen to the radio show myself. Can someone give a listen and see if he gets to my question and what he says? Thanks.

AlbinoRhino

I was thinking how great it would be to have the florest boosts show in the maximizer, if/when they are eventually supported. The maximizer already assumes you will be adventuring in the location that is selected on the adventuring tab (perhaps that location selector should be mirrored on the maximizer tab?), which makes a big difference in the sea and such. If a florist boost were available for that location and it appeared in the maximizer, and the user "used" that boost, could mafia generate one of it's standard warnings for that boost ? In the relay browser, after 1 adventure, one of the warning pages could appear, with an icon to click to plant the flower and I guess another to skip it if you changed your mind. And, of course, if auto-adventuring, mafia could just plant the flower after 1 adventure? Just some wild speculation I thought I would jot down.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So far I've (locally) made it as far as parsing the table for all zones and applying those effects to the relevant zone. Nothing is checked at login yet, and nothing is updated when you place or dig up a plant.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
As of 12216, this relies on KoL's zone name exactly matching mafia's zone name. Sometimes mafia has or does not have "The" as the only difference (easy to fix, but there isn't a good list to start from). Other times the difference is more like The Misspelled Cemetary being listed as Pre-Cyrpt Cemetary and Post-Cyrpt Cemetary.

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
This looks like it's causing debug logs for me. Visited Oil Peak then Florist Friar, and got a debug log for each flower planting.

CLI:
Code:
[387] Oil Peak
Encounter: Pushin' Down on Me, Pushin' Down on You
Encounter:     The Florist Friar's Cottage
Encounter: The Florist Friar's Cottage
Unexpected     error, debug log printed.

Debug Log: View attachment DEBUG_20130614.txt

I wrote a pretty nasty script a while ago that automated the friar for me within the context of a modified version of bumcheekcity's bumcheekascend.

Below I've copied the function dealing with name parsing, which might help you make a start. It probably only contains ascension relevant and underwater zones right now.
Code:
//tidy up the zone text to fit mafia style
location mafia_style_zone(string loc)
{
	//remove "The " prefix which mafia doesn't seem to like
	if(substring(loc,0,4)=="The ")
		loc=substring(loc,4);
	//modify text
	if(loc=="Sonofa Beach")
		loc="wartime sonofa beach";
	else if(loc=="Obligatory Pirate's Cove")
		loc="Pirate Cove";
	else if(loc=="Enormous Greater-Than Sign")
		loc="Greater-Than Sign";
	else if(loc=="Penultimate Fantasy Airship")
		loc="Fantasy Airship";
	else if(loc=="Castle in the Clouds in the Sky (Basement)")
		loc="Giant's Castle (Basement)";
	else if(loc=="Castle in the Clouds in the Sky (Ground Floor)")
		loc="Giant's Castle (Ground Floor)";
	else if(loc=="Castle in the Clouds in the Sky (Top Floor)")
		loc="Giant's Castle (Top Floor)";
	else if(loc=="Castle in the Clouds in the Sky (Top Floor)")
		loc="Giant's Castle (Top Floor)";
	else if(loc=="Arid, Extra-Dry Desert")
		loc="Desert (ultrahydrated)";
	else if(loc=="Orcish Frat House")
		loc="wartime Frat House";
	else if(loc=="Royal Guard Chamber")
		loc="Guards' Chamber";
	else if(loc=="Filthworm Queen's Chamber")
		loc="Queen's Chamber";
	else if(loc=="McMillicancuddy's Barn")
		loc="Barn";
	else if(loc=="McMillicancuddy's Pond")
		loc="Pond";
	else if(loc=="McMillicancuddy's Back 40")
		loc="Back 40";
	else if(loc=="McMillicancuddy's Other Back 40")
		loc="Other Back 40";
	else if(loc=="Outskirts of Cobb's Knob")
		loc="outskirts of the knob";
	else if(loc=="Bat Hole Entrance")
		loc="Bat Hole Entryway";
	else if(loc=="Infernal Rackets Backstage")
		loc="Hey Deze Arena";
	else if(loc=="Laugh Floor")
		loc="Belilafs Comedy Club";
	else if(loc=="Valley of Rof L'm Fao")
		loc="Orc Chasm";
	else if(loc=="Hidden City")
		loc="Hidden City (Automatic)";
	else
	{
		//try direct parse
		location loca = to_location(loc);
		if(loca==$location[none])
			abort("The location string "+loc+" was parsed as zone "+loca);
		return loca;
	}
	//return location object
	return to_location(loc);
}

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Moved some posts from the 12216 thread over to here. My plan for getting all the parsing working is to eventually make all of mafia's location names exactly match KoL's names, at least for adventure.php areas where the Florist applies (there are complicated things like top/middle/bottom barrels that I don't want to try sorting out). I expect that this will break some scripts, especially updating the castle names.

Before I bother with that, KoL will hopefully deal with some locations having identical names (pre/post crypt cemetary, (un)hydrated desert). Eleron asked me before about having mafia location names match KoL location names (probably because it would let him use mafia data files for more stuff in kolproxy), and I said no because it would break scripts and bring no benefit to mafia users. Now that there is a benefit for mafia to have matching names, I asked him about bugging TPTB to provide unique location names, and he's going to work on that.

Eventually there will need to be a way to see what is already planted, and a way to change what's currently planted. I don't think it's worth trying to make a GUI that will at best be as good as what KoL provides, so it will probably just be an ASH function. I've seen people in chat asking for some interface that will set up auto-planting stuff when you get to the right location, but I think I'm going to leave that to afterAdventureScript writers and just make sure the necessary functions are available.

Last edited: