Feature - Implemented New Option: Use smart pickpocketing

Bale

Minion
Almost every time we have a big event people want to know why mafia is not pickpocketing. I've seen the question asked in the G-D KoLmafia thread and in several threads on this forum as well as being PMed directly to me. (For some reason people often like to ask me their mafia questions privately, as if am their personal tech support.) The fact that it is such a common problem means that mafia is less friendly than we would like.

How about we add a new option to the Custom Combat tab. A checkbox (default: on) labeled, "Use smart pickpocketing"

If on, then it won't pickpocket if the monster lacks a pickpocketable item or the monster is likely to kill you, just like it does now. If the option is disabled, then it will do what the user tells it to do regardless of mafia's decision. Merely having that checkbox there will keep the question from being asked as well as making the answer simpler.

Last edited:

Catch-22

I like the idea, sorta. Dunno about calling it "smart" pick pocketing, because some people may not consider the current behaviour to be "smart" and it sounds vague.

I think there should be a way to enable KoLmafia to attempt a pick pocket if it's not known that an item can't be pick pocketed. In SQL terms, if a monster has null pickpocketable items, I would like KoLmafia to try, if a monster has 0 pickpocketable items, don't try.

Bale

Minion
Please suggest a better name if you don't like "smart pickpocketing"

I think there should be a way to enable KoLmafia to attempt a pick pocket if it's not known that an item can't be pick pocketed. In SQL terms, if a monster has null pickpocketable items, I would like KoLmafia to try, if a monster has 0 pickpocketable items, don't try.

That has nothing to do with the current discussion since we're trying to make things simple for people who don't follow KoLmafia development. They also want to pickpocket from dangerous monsters as well. I suggest an option that will always pickpocket without any alternative. That is what people want and need to end their confusion.

Catch-22

Wait, if we're absolutely certain that pickpocketing will yield no item, why would we want to try? Why would anyone want to try?

Winterbay

Well, also just because Mafia knows that doesn't mean that the user does, and also there may be items that have been added to the game that Mafia doesn't know about that one may like to pickpocket and without a changed setting or manual playing that won't happen.

Catch-22

Alright, taking this all on board then, my suggestion would be that the option be called something like "always steal" and should only apply to the "steal" directive, "special" should maintain the current behaviour.

Can anyone tell me if the steal() ASH command also has the same behaviour as the "steal" CCS directive?

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Wait, if we're absolutely certain that pickpocketing will yield no item, why would we want to try? Why would anyone want to try?

If steal is my first ccs action, and there is no steal, then confusion ensues. WTF?
If I have an option to "always try to pickpocket" or not, and there is no steal, maybe I understand there is something else Mafia is doing.

I endorse this change.

ckb

roippi

Developer
"always pickpocket" and "always try to pickpocket"? The language is a bit awkward, but it maintains backwards compatibility without introducing Yet Another Preference.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The one I want is "always succeed at pickpocketing". Well, I guess that one is "combo Rave Steal". :)

slyz

Developer
I think Bale had it the right way around (backward compatibility issues aside): the default should be to always pickpocket, and the current "smart" pickpocketing should be the one labeled differently.

This way, most users will get what they expect (Mafia will steal when they tell it to in their CCS), and people who know about the alternative where Mafia can decide not to pickpocket still have access to that feature.

roippi

Developer
I could see another toggle on the custom combat tab, special field: "skip pickpocketing when no useful results" or something along those lines.

I'd probably default it to on, since defaulting it to off is going to globally change behavior for people expecting current pickpocket behavior.

roippi

Developer
r11719, untested

Still need a little icon for when it's enabled, pickpocket one is already being used.

zeller

r11719, untested

Still need a little icon for when it's enabled, pickpocket one is already being used.

It doesn't work. It's annoying enough that I feel the need to download the KolMafia source code to kludge around the default behavior. I'm not going to get RSI grinding Crimbo quests...

Winterbay

This very simple CCS works very well for moxie classes:
Code:
"pickpocket"
skill moxious man

Or if you want a dynamic one you can use WHAM and set your goal to lots of ingots which will make it pickpocket all the time (or at least should). At least while you await that this works as you want it to.

roippi

Developer
It doesn't work. It's annoying enough that I feel the need to download the KolMafia source code to kludge around the default behavior. I'm not going to get RSI grinding Crimbo quests...

a) Works for me.
b) There's an incredibly basic workaround even if it didn't work, so quit being Annoyed.
c) What's your CCS.

zeller

I did a checkout from SVN and built it using 'ant' and it works fine now. It was probably an old .jar I had lying around. This feature is a lifesaver.

Rinn

Developer
The one I want is "always succeed at pickpocketing". Well, I guess that one is "combo Rave Steal". :)

Code:
[ default ]
call pilfer
attack

[ global prefix ]
scrollwhendone
sub pilfer
    "pickpocket"
    if !match "You deftly slip your fingers into your opponent's pocket and grab something."
        combo Rave Steal
    endif
endsub

Last edited: