MacGuffin 2.0 -- level 11 quest, automated

mredge73

the script should probably use the diary before adventuring

wasted 50 turns today in the hidden temple before noticing that the book has not been read and the desert revealed or hidden temple puzzles enabled...

microsafe17

wasted 50 turns today in the hidden temple before noticing that the book has not been read and the desert revealed or hidden temple puzzles enabled...

That is a one time thing though, but I guess it could be useful for new alts.

zarqon

I seem to recall that this script actually does use the diary immediately after getting it. I don't know if mafia's use() command reads the whole thing though. I can look into it.

kain

At least it wasn't 50 turns somewhere totally worthless ... like the batrat chamber :) I mean, at least you got stats!

zarqon

After looking at the script, I figure what happened is that you got the diary yourself pre-script, but didn't read it. The script only reads the diary as part of its "get the diary" routine, to save server hits.

CKtheFat

Used this script for the first time, and so far so good--very impressive! I spent over 30 adventures looking for the spooky sapling so far, though, but I don't see anything to indicate this is a bug. Just me being particularly unlucky, it seems. Will report more tomorrow.

Bale

Minion
I spent over 30 adventures looking for the spooky sapling so far, though, but I don't see anything to indicate this is a bug. Just me being particularly unlucky, it seems.

Just thought I'd mention that is a regular non-combat, so Smooth Movement and/or Sonata of Sneakiness will improve your chances.

tgetgel

Nice script!

I was in the Hidden City and fell into a loop.
This was the session log that was generated for that adventure:

[32783] Hidden City (Square 15)
Encounter: ancient protector spirit
Round 0: seals2go wins initiative!
> Combat detected!
> Spectre detectred!
> No suitable combat items found. Handing off to mafia...
Round 1: seals2go attacks!
Round 2: seals2go attacks!
Round 3: seals2go attacks!
<snipped rounds 4 through 29 for the sake of space>
Round 30: seals2go attacks!
Round 31: seals2go attacks!
> Spectre detectred!
> Spectre detectred!
<snipped a bunch of rows for the sake of space>
> Spectre detectred!

It kept in this loop until I hit ESC.

I tried it again with the same results (just to make sure - not that I am insane and expecting anything different).

I went to the relay browser and saw the problem - I could not damage them enough to kill them in 30 rounds. I was doing 1 +1 and they have 84 HP. I manually re-equipped with the greatest amount of various forms of elemental damage bonuses (Modifier Maximizer does not have a choice like that that I recognized). When I ran the script again, I defeated the spectre in 2 attacks.

Is there a way in an ash to check the equipment and damage bonuses (or equip) to see if we can defeat everything before entering the area? Or that the Mafia options are set properly (had a problem with auto attack being set once)?

HasteBro

I have been having a troublesome problem.

Why, oh why does the script tries to kill the spirits and the Specter using scepters instead of using the prismatic weapons I have?

[3159] Hidden City (Square 14)
Encounter: ancient protector spirit
Round 0: jedi sauceror wins initiative!
Combat detected!
Spectre detectred!
Round 1: jedi sauceror uses the spectre scepter!
You lose 13 hit points
Spectre detectred!
Round 2: jedi sauceror uses the spectre scepter!
You lose 14 hit points
Spectre detectred!
Round 3: jedi sauceror uses the spectre scepter!
You gain 4 hit points
You lose 13 hit points
Spectre detectred!
Round 4: jedi sauceror uses the spectre scepter!

Just like that? I have a Club of Five Season equipped, despite the name, am a Seal Clubber with 170 buffed Mus, yet it tries to kill the spirit with the scepter, which is totally useless compared to the club.

Last edited:

zarqon

@tgetgel and HasteBro: Please read this previous post. We are all aware that the hidden city script needs revamping. A CCS to fight physically resistant monsters would be the best next step in solving the problem, but so far no one has had the time and inclination to make it.

For a quick fix, HasteBro, throw the sceptre(s), any feathers, and bottles of alcohol into your closet.

Last edited:

Cheese Loaf

Great wonderful fabulous script. Three suggestions-

1) set an abort option, for now, for protector spectres/spirits. (as discussed above)

2) Wet stunt nut stew- rather than pulling bird rib and lion oil, check for wet stew and pull that instead. Kind of silly to be farming the Grove when you have a stock of precooked wet stews in storage.

3) This one would be sweet, but I don't know how feasible it is: I'd love to start off with a dialogue box asking if there were any critters I'd like to olfact along the way. Then, if the nose is free and a creature is encountered, we can sniff it. Why not olfact a kitty on the way through the pyramid? Right now I'm aborting, sniffing, and restarting.

CKtheFat

I noticed something strange when running the script tonight... I set it to adventure in the pyramid, as part of the MacGuffin quest, then went to use the bathroom. It killed Ed okay by itself, and then... decided to repeatedly adventure in the Arid-Extra-Dry desert unhydrated for about a hundred adventures.

Code:
Emptying storage
Encounter: Ed the Undying
Round 0: CKtheFat wins initiative!
 > Checking step #37, 'Macguffin'.
 > Working on quest step Macguffin.

gnomes.php?action=changedial&whichlevel=0&pwd
> Black market found.
> Diary obtained.
Round 5: CKtheFat attacks!

[1037] Desert (Unhydrated)
Round 6: CKtheFat attacks!
Round 7: CKtheFat attacks!
You gain 19 Strengthliness
You gain 21 Enchantedness
You gain 43 Sarcasm

[1038] Desert (Unhydrated)
Round 1: CKtheFat tries to steal an item!
Round 2: CKtheFat attacks!
Round 3: CKtheFat attacks!
You gain 19 Beefiness
You gain 14 Enchantedness
You gain 50 Smarm

[1039] Desert (Unhydrated)
Round 3: CKtheFat attacks!
You lose 19 hit points
Round 4: CKtheFat attacks!
Your familiar gains a pound: Grort, the 18 lb. Hovering Sombrero
You gain 14 Strongness
You gain 27 Magicalness
You gain 42 Roguishness

[1040] Desert (Unhydrated)
You gain 20 Fortitude
You gain a Muscle point!
You gain 20 Mysteriousness
You gain 43 Roguishness

[1041] Desert (Unhydrated)
You gain 22 Strengthliness
You gain 20 Mysteriousness
You gain 41 Sarcasm
You gain a Moxie point!
You gain a Level!

[1042] Desert (Unhydrated)
You gain 17 Beefiness
You gain 31 Magicalness
You gain 34 Chutzpah
You acquire an item: Holy MacGuffin

[1043] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: The Far Side of Sanity

[1044] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: What Were You Expecting?

[1045] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: Doors of Perception

[1046] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1047] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: Sandstorm, Take Me Away from the Norm

[1048] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: A Wrong Turn at Albuquerque

[1049] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: Oh No, Not Raid!
You lose 28 hit points

[1050] Desert (Unhydrated)

cast 1 Disco Power Nap
You gain 40 hit points

[1051] Desert (Unhydrated)

cast 1 The Moxious Madrigal

[1052] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: Sandstorm, Take Me Away from the Norm

[1053] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1054] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1055] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1056] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1057] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: Still Suits Run Deep
You lose 17 hit points

buy 30 anti-anti-antidote at market price from an NPC Store
You acquire anti-anti-antidote (30)

use 1 anti-anti-antidote

[1058] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1059] Desert (Unhydrated)

cast 1 Disco Power Nap
You gain 40 hit points

[1060] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1061] Desert (Unhydrated)

cast 1 The Moxious Madrigal

[1062] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1063] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1064] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: Oh No, Not Raid!
You lose 67 hit points

cast 1 Disco Power Nap
You gain 40 hit points

[1065] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: Still Suits Run Deep
You lose 18 hit points

use 1 anti-anti-antidote

cast 1 Disco Power Nap
You gain 40 hit points

[1066] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1067] Desert (Unhydrated)

[1068] Desert (Unhydrated)

Very strange. I'm using the latest version, as bundled with the Ascend script.

Last edited:

zarqon

@Cheese: good thoughts. 1) It's a stopgap measure. You can do it if you like, but I'll be spending what little time I have on solving the issue properly. 2) Great, I'll change the obtain() items from bird and lion bits to a single wet stew in the next update, I think that should fix it, and make it more robust. 3) Interesting. But if you're using FTF, you can do this already by adding kitties to your Olfacted monster list.

@CK: Looks like somehow Ascend ran the Macguffin script in the middle of your combat with Ed. Which means when it tried to check the URL to see if you had unlocked the Oasis, it got a thumb-twiddling page. Which means it thought you hadn't unlocked the Oasis. Which means it adventured forever in the Desert for a choiceadv you couldn't get. This problem was caused by something going wrong in Ascend's handling of fighting Ed, not MacGuffin.

CKtheFat

This is what I have in my vars file:

Code:
ascend_breakOnBoss	true
automcd	true
buycrap_keyBake	true
buycrap_nukeHelpers	false
buycrap_simShop	true
defaultoutfit	current
eatdrink_GetPriceServer	true
eatdrink_autospadeconsumables	false
eatdrink_boozeMood	booze
eatdrink_budget	20000
eatdrink_considerCostWhenOwned	true
eatdrink_costOfPull	3000
eatdrink_getBartender	true
eatdrink_getChef	true
eatdrink_make	true
eatdrink_ode	true
eatdrink_pause	3
eatdrink_piePriority	true
eatdrink_priceFlexibility	1.25
eatdrink_priceOfNontradeables	999999999
eatdrink_priceOfUnknowns	999999999
eatdrink_shop	true
eatdrink_simConsume	true
eatdrink_simLevel	0
eatdrink_simRonin	false
eatdrink_suppressOverdrink	true
eatdrink_useCloset	false
eatdrink_useInv	true
eatdrink_useStorage	true
eatdrink_valueOfAdventure	500
eatdrink_valueOfNonPrimeStat	2
eatdrink_valueOfPrimeStat	10
flyereverything	true
is_100_run	false
levelup_acceptableDmgPercent	20
levelup_bonerdagon	-1
levelup_bossbat	-1
ocw_change_to_meat	false
ocw_f_default	Hovering Sombrero
ocw_f_lighthouse	Hovering Sombrero
ocw_nunspeed	true
ocw_o_junkyard	anti-gremlin
ocw_o_lighthouse	anti-gremlin
ocw_warplan	frat-4-gamma
pullcrap_simpulls	true
pullcrap_useExtraPullsOnMeat	true
puttybountiesupto	19
threshold	4
unknown_ml	150

I was a little surprised when it auto-fought Ed, since every other boss had the script halt and let me take care of the deed. I would assume the "break on boss == true" would indicate that, but now I'm not entirely sure.

I don't know how Ascend would have kicked in by itself. I unlocked the pyramid manually by clicking on it, since the script goes into a loop attempting to do that, got inside, then ran Ascend again and walked out of the room. When I came back, the wheel was turned appropriately, Ed was defeated, and I was sent adventuring in the desert repeatedly.

dj_d

There's two things. One is that break_on_boss is broken, which I can fix easily enough.

But I'm stymied as to how wossname got run in the middle of the ed battle.

zarqon

Hey everyone, wanted to give you a heads up -- I've just written a new hidden city script from the ground up, using mafia properties! Some notable details:

• It's tiny! The entire thing fits in only 40 lines of code, so eventually I'll just be adding it directly to macguffin.ash and removing hiddencity.ash entirely.
  • It makes full use of mafia's hiddenCityLayout property, which saves server hits compared to the old version, plus makes it a cinch to code.
  • It uses the very sparsely-documented "hiddencity X altar item" and "hiddencity X temple" CLI commands rather than all the URL parsing in the old version.
  • It's no longer random in its exploring, although re-randomizing it would be pretty easy if that is preferred.
  • It calls adventure() rather than handle spectre combat manually. This means that it also does not detect your spheres in combat.

What remains to be done before you get to see it:

• Testing it! I just wrote it today and mostly finished the city in the relay browser in my efforts to write it. Would like to run it straight through on someone who can smack down spectres and see how it does.
  • Writing some code to check whether you even stand a chance against spectres before adventuring. In other words, if you're presently going to lose should you encounter a spectre due to not doing enough damage, equip some elemental damage items if it doesn't take your mainstat down significantly, cast elemental damage buffs, equip a damage familiar if it's not a 100% run, and/or guarantee possession of love songs, feathers, or other elemental damage items, before blithely waltzing into the city. Not sure of the best way to go about this.
  • Putting together a consult script to fight spectres. It must detect any undetected spheres first (easily paste-able from the old hiddencity.ash), then fight using whatever methods are best.

As you can see, all of the remaining roadblocks are based on spectres. Both the preparatory checking code and the consult CCS need to know the same things -- so, anyone care to offer preferences/strategies against spectres? I'd be very pleased if someone more OCD than me would rank the following:

• elemental damage familiar
  • elemental damage gear (this would be either very sketchy or very painful to code)
  • combat skills that dole out elemental harshness
  • elemental damage effects (from skills or items used beforehand)
  • combat items (if possible, your top five or so of these would be nice too).

Other suggestions also welcome. And, if you have (or can make) a scroll of A.F.U.E. but will probably kill the spectre without it, should you use it anyway?

Bale

Minion
I'll be looking forward to seeing your rewritten Hidden City script. That is basically the only area in the game that I like run by script, so this actually matters to me. I've been using a rewritten version of your old script. (Incidentally, one of my changes was to de-randomize exploration so that I could measure my progress. :p)

I always just beat spectres by using dragon stickers and/or snarl of the timberwolf, so my tactics were too basic to help you much.

I'd suggest never using AFUE if you can manage without it. IF you do consider that, remember that any sane player will need to save one for the Nuns.