MacGuffin 2.0 -- level 11 quest, automated

mredge73

Another problem that I found today:
black_market_available() returned false after I killed the black market guy manually, so the script tried to get the map again.

Code:
Request 16 of 225 (Beach: Desert (Ultrahydrated)) in progress...

[3694] Oasis in the Desert
Encounter: All Across the Sands
You acquire an item: stone rose
Ultrahydration failed!

[3695] Desert (Unhydrated)
Encounter: What Were You Expecting?
You acquire an effect: Sunburned (duration: 5 Adventures)

Turning in stone rose...

Visit to Beach: Desert (Ultrahydrated) in progress...

[3696] Oasis in the Desert
Encounter: Glug, Glug, Glug
You acquire an effect: Ultrahydrated (duration: 5 Adventures)

[3697] Desert (Ultrahydrated)
Encounter: rock scorpion
[combat]

Conditions not satisfied after 1 adventure.
Unable to get worm-riding hooks.
And then the script aborts.

Theraze

Though the old HiddenCity.ash appears to not be available anymore, if anyone still has it, they'll need to change it to use hidden city (automatic) instead of just hidden city as the name of the zone. This applies as well to the current macguffin.ash script, since this also changed.

WarldWorZ

Bug fix?

Yeah I'm having some trouble using the script while doing an Avatar of Boris run. Can anyone tell me how to fix it? Here's the CLI

> call scripts\macguffin.ash

hidden city (automatic)
hidden city (encounter)
Multiple matches against hidden city.
Bad location value: "hidden city" (macguffin.ash, line 106)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Use any plain text editor (not something like Word) and search for Hidden City, and change it. Possibly in more than one place.

WarldWorZ

Sorry for being a newb, but what do I change the text to? :p I opened up the script in Notepad and there's quite a few "Hidden City". Do I just add "(automatic)" to the end of the one's that have a command in front of them?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
When used in any path, the script does not recognize that it is now possible to adventure a few times in the Lab before encountering Mr. Alarm. I believe this has been reported before.

When used in an AoB run it tried to visit the guild to open Whitey's Grove. I visited the Lab until I found Mr. Alarm, (possibly reading I Love me, Vol I first, and then the script worked as expected again.

Given the Hidden City changes, any chance that someone could post a version (and for extra credit address the two points above plus any other known tweaks because of KoL changes) and we could petition the Great and Mighty Zarqon to give it his blessing and make it a new release?

Theraze

One option is to use the Rinn Level 11.ash I've got updated on the dropbox, which does fully work in AoB including all the other changes. I'll probably try to update Macguffin at some point, since I was tweaking that as well, but there's several... optimizations that will go away when Macguffin becomes more AoB compliant, like the skipping of initial Alarm trip. Though I suppose I could try to make it just do it when you're in AoB, but... Eh.

Question, is the Alarm adventure a choiceadv or autostop? That might be the problem, if the Macguffin script runs for the wrong one... Level 11 just does manual adventure detection.

Edit: Man, the Macguffin script is a mess at this point... no bee support, no fist support, nothing. Sort of seems bad to update it for Boris support if I'm not adding those as well. Probably do it as a non-specific system.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I fear that I no longer trust this script to automate as much as I did.

1) It no longer unlocks the Hidden City due to KoL changes.
2) It does not get the MegaGem unless there is RNG love and Mr. Alarm happens to appear on the first visit to the Laboratory.
3) Some combination of macguffin and KoL and KoLmafia will leave a character with no familiar equipped after the blackbird is used to get the map. I don't know where the problem is. I just know that the script has burned adventures without a familiar equipped in spite of my attempt to do a 100% run with a non-Blackbird.
4) Some combination of macguffin and KoL and KoLmafia gets confused and sets the choice adventure to open the Ballroom to the second step in spite of the fact that the first setep has not yet been done.

If anyone has addressed this officially or otherwise, I'd love to have access to their changes. If Zarqon is going to address them or delegate maintenance to someone else then that would be helpful to know. Otherwise I will have to overcome my basic laziness and look at these myself.

Thanks.

Theraze

Only on the Rinn scripts. Fixing them on Macguffin has been one of those things that, due to it not having any (official) alternate path support, keeps lagging for me.

zarqon

1) Definitely a problem. Should be fixed soon when all of the following are true: a) Mafia has mostly complete data about the new Hidden Temple, b) all the feature requests and bug reports about it, if any, have settled down to inactive, and iii) I'm going through that quest again with enough time to devote to scripting it. One or more of these may already be satisfied, but as any astute reader would probably have noted, iii is the biggie.
2) I have experienced this problem in my recent Axecore runs. In non-Axecore, so long as you had a wet stew before running the script (I always did), I never encountered this problem. Since I never encountered it before, I had roughly zero motivation to fix it. Now that I've encountered it more than once, the motivation is increasing. :)
3) I've never encountered this issue, but I'm also running BBB which has 100% run protection. All the script does is ensure you have the needed familiar available, then use the black market map. Mafia handles the rest, or so I assumed. I'd be interested to see some output where your familiar was not restored.
4) If this doesn't work, then it never has. I assumed originally most people would have the ballroom unlocked already. When someone asked if this script could also get the key, I simply added a line to attempt to get the ballroom key (all it does is set the key as a goal and auto-adventure), with a comment saying "does this work? no idea". You are the first person to provide feedback on the issue.

Today I worked on BatBrain. I'm often disappointed that working on one script means I'm not working on another one. Sigh. I'll try to get this one releasable again soon, but I'm about to dive into my second Kittycore attempt (first one had a rage-inducing misclick and was ruined AFTER THE SHADOW) so it might be a week or two before I get to this quest again, and in Kittycore I won't automate as much, but I'll make a point of testing this script while I'm there.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thank you. I will provide more details from session logs.

I'm pretty sure 2) has happened to me even with the stew in inventory and well before Axecore was implemented. Regardless, I think the solution is as simple as adventuring until the right adventure is encountered as opposed to adventuring once and assuming the encounter came up.

From memory 3) has happened at least twice but only since KoL changed to allow the Blackbird as a more usable familiar. I am using WHAM which uses SmartStasis which I thought was the replacement for BBB so perhaps there is something to be looked at in another script?

4) may very well have been broken for a long time. I play casual hardcore which means I don't have any kind of checklist that tells me what to do and when and so I often forget things like opening the Ballroom when I am otherwise killing time until the next level. Hence MacGuffin gets to try the unlock more often than not.

Theraze

Regarding WHAM, SmartStasis, and BBB... completely different things. BBB doesn't have to do with combat. WHAM and SS do. :)