New Content - Implemented Heavy Rains

Darzil

Developer
My gut feeling is that we may need to add a Depth: override to certain locations which have an environment of none, but I could be wrong (Spookyraven, Cellar). Currently those with none assume 0 depth.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
My gut feeling is that we may need to add a Depth: override to certain locations which have an environment of none, but I could be wrong (Spookyraven, Cellar). Currently those with none assume 0 depth.

Some overrides are needed (Mist-Shrouded Peak = Icy Peak is one off the top of my head). Also, none should at least assume 1, as is the case for monster copies for instance.

Darzil

Developer
r14424 adds Water Level as a modifier, uses it to calculate water level, exposes environment, recommended mainstat and water level in Location Details, and includes Water Level x 10 in Monster Level calculations for monsters (seems to also affect compact side panel value, that could be changed if wanted).
r14428

Darzil

Developer
Just a note, we should cancel rain monster windows when we rescue the king.
Edit - And remove any lightning/rain/thunder skills known.
Edit 2 - And after any Type69 affected path, visit campground bookshelf to refresh bookshelf skills known.
Edit 3 - And set rain monster window of 9-11 on starting the path.

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
Am doing a run where I don't increase rain (or at least not more than I can decrease it), so I can check the depth of places without stats.
Am encountering some odd bugs I've reported, for one thing Tavern Cellar was depth 5 in the first square, but depth 1 in later ones!

It seems to be an off-by-one bug. The first adventure after switching to a new zone shows the depth of the previous zone. I even saw this after breaking prism, sloppy seconds diner had a water depth of 5 for the first turn. For a moment there I thought we were keeping the heavy rains mechanics post-prism, which would have been cool.

I wonder if that's exploitable: get depth 6 underground, then head outside, and see if you can get the storm cow without the depth increasing effects active. Assuming the bug works that way, it would be 50-50 (alternating turns underground and outside while the wandering monster was due). Or other combinations of underground / indoors / outside. 50% chance of getting the higher level monster. Maybe.

Darzil

Developer
Boy there is inconsistent stuff. I was told that tavern cellar was fixed, it's now depth 6 today. Rain man monsters are now depth 3 for me, they were depth 1 yesterday (Edit - this was because it was only taking into account +water level buffs, not -water level item. This is a bug according to my bug report). Supporting depth is like nailing smoke to the wall. I'm sure it will improve as they get the bugs squashed.

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
Everything in there is all the same now, at least, so it's an improvement.
I now see it as depth 6, with one +water level buff, and the heavy duty umbrella. However, I guess it could be depth 5 and that has the same bug as when using rain man and copies, that it doesn't count umbrella? Once I have the skills I really need I'll drop my water level buffs and run with none instead to spade it.

Darzil

Developer
Just a note, we should cancel rain monster windows when we rescue the king.
Edit - And remove any lightning/rain/thunder skills known.
Edit 2 - And after any Type69 affected path, visit campground bookshelf to refresh bookshelf skills known.
Edit 3 - And set rain monster window of 9-11 on starting the path.
Did this in r14445 (as well as setting terminology back to Water Level), but untested as I've neither rescued king nor started the path since. (Cancelled Bee wanderers whilst I was at it)

Bale

Minion
Bug! There is no entry for Rain Dancin' in modifiers.txt ! Mafia is unaware that it gives +20% to item drops.

digitrev

The monsters piranhadon and freshwater bonefish have the following stats from Manuel:
Piranhadon
Atk: ?
Def: ?
HP: ?
Phylum: Fish
Element: None
Init: 90%

Freshwater bonefish
Atk: ?
Def: ?
HP: ?
Phylum: Fish
Element: None
Init: 50%

Darzil

Developer
I plan to try to fight some later today and get all their stats (I'm expecting Scale to Stats+ML-27 and Stats+ML-43, but plan to add meat drop, if only very roughly, at the same time)

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
I just thought I'd add a helpful tip for Heavy Rains. I've got the following function in my preAdventureScript and it has made my life much easier.

Code:
// Storm Cows are deadly if you have more than 50 MP at the start of the fight
void heavy_rains() {
	if(my_path() == "Heavy Rains" && my_location().environment == "outdoor" && my_location().water_level + numeric_modifier("Water Level") >= 6
	  && get_counters("Rain Monster window end",0 ,10) == "Rain Monster window end")
		cli_execute("burn -50");
}

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
What remains for this?

Perhaps we should have "heavyRainPoints" to keep track of skills count you start with in this path, sort of like we have borisPoints, jarlsbergPoints, sneakyPetePoints, and zombiePoints.

Other than that, what remains to be done before we mark this Implemented?