Feature Fernswarthy's Ruins - becoming the Master of Unlocking

Salculd

When you attempt to go to the orc chasm for the first time, if it hasn't been bridged yet mafia automatically does all the steps to do that. Attempting to adventure in Fernswarthy's Ruins with the key and quest but without having unlocked the gate gives an error, and I can't think of any compelling reason why it couldn't or shouldn't also be handled like the chasm--namely, being automatically unlocked instead of erroring.

slyz

Developer
I tried having a look at the code, but I couldn't make much sense out of it. Apparently, some checking if a zone is unlocked is done in KoLAdventure.validate(), but the Chasm is unlocked (if Mafia can retrieve a Bridge) in AdventureRequest.run() (is there is a server hit to mountains.php each time you adventure in the chasm?)

The particularity of Fern's tower is that it appears in the plains once you get the key, but the key disappears from your inventory once you unlocked it.
I guess Mafia could visit fernruin.php before adventuring there if you have Fernswarthy's key in your inventory, and simply check plains.php to see if fernruin.php is there when you don't have the key.

If I understand the code correctly, and if there is indeed a server hit to mountains.php when you adventure in the Chasm, maybe a lastChasmUnlock and a lastFernsRuinUnlock property should be added to avoid this?

I'll wait for someone who really understands the code to weigh in though, I'm mostly guessing here.

StDoodle

Minion
Since there are multiple reasons you may not have the key to fernswarthy's; you've unlocked it already, you just haven't been back to the guild, and you never got that far in the first place; how is mafia supposed to be able to know what to do? I in fact very rarely unlock fernswarthy's during a run; I almost never adventure in the Cemetary either, except with a clover. I'd personally prefer receiving a "not unlocked yet" error (as currently happens) to having mafia automatically adventure a bunch of times in the Cemetary to unlock that part of the quest, if that's what you're asking for.

slyz

Developer
Mafia automatically bridges the Chasm if you want to auto-adventure there and have an unabridged dictionnary in your inventory, but it won't spend turns to get the bridge.
I don't think Salculd was asking for Mafia to do the first part of the Wizard of Ego quest for you, I think he meant that Mafia should unlock the location by visiting the correct NPC and/or fernruin.php to be able to auto-adventure in the Tower Ruins if it's possible, instead of giving an error.

I think the different possibilities are:
  • unbuffed mainstat < 18: impossible to unlock
  • Fernswarthy's key in inventory and plains.php doesn't contain fernruin.php: you need to visit the correct guild NPC (twice?) for fernruin.php to appear.
  • Fernswarthy's key in inventory and plains.php contains fernruin.php: you need to visit fernruin.php to be able to adventure in the Tower Ruins (snarfblat 22).
  • Fernswarthy's key not in inventory and plains.php contains fernruin.php: good to go.

If you don't have Fernswarthy's key in your inventory and plains.php doesn't contain fernruin.php, there's always the possiblity that you finished the first part of the quest but never got the key back from the guild NPC. In this case, your quest log will show that you finished the first part - I think this could be checked at logon (Mafia hits questlog.php at logon, doesn't it?).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Unrelated, but I was surprised to see in the code that Mafia will adventure in the beanbat chamber for an enchanted bean if you try to adventure in the unlocked Airship and have the council quest.

Theraze

But you have to complete the Airship to go through Ascension, and you don't need to go to Fernswarthy's zone...

Winterbay

But you have to complete the Airship to go through Ascension, and you don't need to go to Fernswarthy's zone...

Yes, but it is also not unreasonable that if you try to auto-adventure at the tower and you have just forgot to deliver the key and so on that Mafia does that for you since you won't lose anything on it anyway. It should not try to get the key if you do not have it but if you've already done that part why not have it unlock the rest for you?

slyz

Developer
I'd rather prepare myself with some +item% to guarantee the bean on the first try, or maybe use a runaway to pickpocket it. It never happened to me in-run, I was just surprised to see it was something to be careful about.

Salculd

No, I don't mean doing the first part of the quest in the cemetary or expending any additional adventures or other resources; that's why I specifically said "with the key and the quest" in the OP. I didn't think that was ambiguous in context, but meh. What Slyz and Winterbay have posted is indeed in line with what I meant originally; apologies if that was unclear.

This situation originally arose on a multi on which I attempted to do a wilted lettuce bounty in the state described by Slyz's third bullet point above (that is, after re-receiving the key at the start of the second step of the quest but before expending it actually unlocking the area). I don't ask out of any remote semblance of ascension relevance, nor do I see why that should even be a consideration in the first place.