Feature - Implemented Dusty Wine in Cellar Document

slyz

Developer
I generally switch back and forth between the relay browser and the GUI, until I get the last bottle shown in the goals. I agree that changing the names displayed in the cellar container would save a couple of switching back and forth, and seems like an easy solution I would like.

Bale

Minion
My suggestion several posts back seems to have been ignored, so on the off chance it wasn't understood, I'll try to be clearer. Rather than needing to choose between one name or the other, the names can be combined in the manner of a bang potion or Hidden City Sphere. They can be named like this:

glassy bottle of Merlot
great bottle of Port
bad bottle of Pinot Noir
average bottle of Zinfandel
vinegary bottle of Marsala
spooky bottle of Muscat

If those designation are used on the basement map and anywhere that the bottles used to be named (like in inventory and item drops at the end of combat), then nobody will be troubled.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
You would still want Merlot (glassy) or maybe glassy (Merlot) in the wine cellar because space is a bit limited, depending on screen resolution.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
My suggestion several posts back seems to have been ignored, so on the off chance it wasn't understood, I'll try to be clearer. Rather than needing to choose between one name or the other, the names can be combined in the manner of a bang potion or Hidden City Sphere. They can be named like this:

glassy bottle of Merlot
great bottle of Port
bad bottle of Pinot Noir
spooky bottle of Muscat

If those designation are used on the basement map and anywhere that the bottles used to be named (like in inventory and item drops at the end of combat), then nobody will be troubled.

Your suggestion might take more work to be implemented. With the DoD potions and the El Vibrato punchcards and the mafia provided labeling the initial implementation had hiccups when the items were used via mafia or an attempt was made to view game or wiki entries or move them around. I'm pretty sure these are not issues any more but I don't recall a general purpose (internal to the code) solution that easily allowed for a display name that was different from the name passed around internally or to the wiki.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Veracity expressed interest in this elsewhere, so I'm bumping it. Jason was against making a change, but if that's going to keep the status quo then it can at least be rejected.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I generally switch back and forth between the relay browser and the GUI, until I get the last bottle shown in the goals. I agree that changing the names displayed in the cellar container would save a couple of switching back and forth, and seems like an easy solution I would like.
I do this too. I let the bold text tell me where to adventure, but when a wine drops, I have no idea if it's the right one, so I go back to the wine cellar map to see what is still bold.

glassy bottle of Merlot
great bottle of Port
bad bottle of Pinot Noir
spooky bottle of Muscat

I like this suggestion a lot.

You would still want Merlot (glassy) or maybe glassy (Merlot) in the wine cellar because space is a bit limited, depending on screen resolution.
This looks good, too. Let people remember "glassy" or "merlot" as they choose, and, with Bale's suggestion, when one drops in the quadrant, both tags are there.