Feature - Implemented Dusty Wine in Cellar Document

The dusty wines in the Spookyraven Cellar, when trying to identify the corners say "great" "bad" vinegar" or whatever. You have to mouse-over them to see the names. Any chance the painting could be made to just put the name of the actual wine in parentheses or something, instead of just having the "great" "bad" "vinegar" names?

EDIT: Another thought would be to have it switch around the "great" "bad" "spooky" with the wine name. So that instead of "great" with a mouseover text of "Merlot" it'd have "Merlot" with a mouseover text of "great"

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I've attached a diff to display wine names and use the glyph names as hover text. I also had to add <br> tags to make those display reasonably.

Attachments

• winecellar.diff
    1.3 KB · Views: 43

jasonharper

Developer
Please explain the conditions under which the name of the wine would be more meaningful than the actual effect of that wine for your current ascension.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Pulling from hagnk's. If you're farming them, why do you need any word there really? Just look for the bold lines and percentages to see where to go, and adventure until all of the bold is gone. Also, you need the wine name to know when the right wine bottle drops without wasting a server hit by going back to see if any bold names went away. I've never found a use for the glyph names.

Displaying both the wine name and the glyph name could be done by increasing the <td> width, but I'm not sure how that would look on a 1024x768 display.

Please explain the conditions under which the name of the wine would be more meaningful than the actual effect of that wine for your current ascension.

I have never, ever looked at any effect name other than "great" before.

When you're looking for the wines in the Cellar, they don't drop and show their effect name, they drop and show the dusty wine name. So I have to keep checking which ones are which.

The way I would presume most people do the Cellar is in that kind of manner. Look at which wines you need to drop, kill a monster or two, see which wines dropped, and there you go.

What I end up doing is:
1. mousing over the effect of the wine I need to reveal the name.
2. going into the area, getting a couple wines to drop.
3. going back to the container document, mousing over the effect of the wines I still need, to see which one I have to wait to drop.
4. choose a new area if I need to go to a new area.

I don't care at all about the effect, I care about which wine it is, because that's what needs to go into the fountain thingy. The effect does not matter at all from an ascension standpoint [other than possibly Great], the name does, for the pouring order. Okay, maybe the effect matches the glyph, but who wants to keep clicking to check glyphs and match those up? What you really want to know is the name of the wine, when it drops from sommeliers or wine racks. You'd have to click in there to check the effect, or you'd have to go back out to the container document, mouse over the effect of each to find the right names.

Mafia even kindly shows you which order the Name of the wines that need to go into the fountain are. It doesn't show you the effect in any spot other than the container document, which always seemed weird to me. I actually didn't know why it used those effect names until like a month ago. Thought it was just quirky mafia being quirky mafia.

I suppose that another option would be to rename the dusty bottles in a similar manner to DoD potions. like.. "dusty bottle of Merlot [great]" so that when consuming them, you don't have to keep checking.

In short: I basically never pay attention to the effects, as I'd imagine a lot of people don't, except when drinking the Glyph #4 wine.

But Mafia already bolds the ones you want. That is everything you (well I) need to know.

It bolds the effects. It does not bold the name. I see absolutely zero reason to display the effect that it gives in that spot. The only time that would be useful is if you're farming them for a specific effect. Which you are not doing in the vast majority of cases.

By not bolding the name, it forces me to go back out to the container document and check if I actually got the specific wine I wanted.

So you see that in that area you need "spooky" wine, right? Great. Now go adventure once in there, a dusty bottle of Port drops. Is that the one I need? go back out, see that "spooky" is still bolded, I guess that must not have been it, I should check the name (which is what I actually need to know). Mouse-over, I see that it's Pinot Noir that I actually need. Okay. Keep adventuring until you get a Pinot Noir.

The monsters do not drop "spooky" they will drop "dusty bottle of Pinot Noir." I could care less that Pinot Noir = spooky. That does not matter in the slightest. I care that Pinot Noir = Pinot Noir.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
But Mafia already bolds the ones you want. That is everything you (well I) need to know.

Mafia bolds the worlds "great" and "glassy", so that's what I want. I kill a monster, and it drops some wine. Is that one of the ones I want? I can hover over the word "great" to figure out the name of the wine I want, or I can waste a server hit clicking on each bottle of wine and look at the glyph (assuming one knows which symbol corresponds to which glyph name, I don't), or I can waste a server hit going back to the cellar container zone to see if any names are bolded.

I still don't get how displaying the glyph names is ever better than displaying the wine name.

Me, i've never understood the "great", "glassy", etc.

I did not understand them until about a month ago. When you actually consume the wine with the given glyph, it has a specific message, referring to it tasting great, glassy, spooky, vinegar. That's where the names come from.

jasonharper

Developer
Ah, pulling wines from Hagnk's was a possibility that I hadn't considered. Copying the text from the Goals box to the gCLI, and putting a "pull" in front of it, would seem to be the easiest way to accomplish that.

The intended usage here is that you visit the pedestal first, to add the needed wines to your goals, at which point they become shown in bold. You adventure in one of the areas until you get a wine, then go back to the container document to see which corner now has the most bold wines. Whether or not the wine was one you actually needed is irrelevant; it learns more about the layout of the corners in either case, so you'd always want to reconsider the corner to use after each wine drop. Thus, I saw no need to show the wine names; the descriptions are there for the benefit of farming a particular wine later.

The intended usage here is that you visit the pedestal first, to add the needed wines to your goals, at which point they become shown in bold.
Is that something that people actually do in-run? I almost never use the Goals thing (or mafia's swing GUI, really) except when automating things in aftercore. I do use the swing GUI in very specific cases like asking what the telescope shows, or asking it to do the leaflet/NS Lair for me, but that's it for in-run usage.

I know about the layout thing changing depending on the wines you get in a specific area. I used to refer to that all the time on the wiki before i used mafia to help with that area. I actually didn't know about mousing over the effect names to see the wine name for quite a while after I started using mafia, it was just very confusing, and I had no idea why it was doing that. I remember thinking to myself "it clearly knows which is which... why not just display the name?"

I realize that mafia is a tool for both ascenders and aftercore-ers, but it seems like this case would be something where the in-ascension context is used way, way, way more than the aftercore context.

My OP isn't really even asking for much, just displaying them so that you don't have to mouse-over (or so that you don't have to realize that there is something there to mouse-over and see). Something like "Merlot [great]" and "Pinot Noir [spooky] would be awesome, instead of just having "great" or "spooky" there.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If mafia tells you that you only have 1 wine left to get, and there's a 100% chance that it's in a particular corner, there's no longer a reason to check the container document after each drop. Adventure until it drops, then go back and pour them in. That would benefit from knowing the names of wine bottles, and going back to the container document when the right one hasn't dropped is purely a wasted server hit.

Spiny

Hrmm. in-run, I look at the container to see the glyphs, mafia bolds the effects and I hunt in the areas that have bolded names. I do keep checking the container after collecting a few wines to see if I have enough of what I need to pour. I never considered hovering over the image of the bottle of wine after it's dropped, that might have saved me this step. I have typed dusty in the cli at various points. Also, when doing a bounty in the wine cellar, I tend to choose the corner that is more likely to yield great and spooky wine. At this point I don't care what the name of the wine is. I just want the great and spooky wines. I play multiple accounts and type dusty in the cli to see which I need if I'm not bounty hunting and choose to drink them from the mall.

So... I guess... for me, effects are preferred to names, but if there were a more obvious indication at the point of a wine dropping that it was the correct wine, that would be cool. But in general, it's not a big deal to me.

My OP isn't really even asking for much, just displaying them so that you don't have to mouse-over (or so that you don't have to realize that there is something there to mouse-over and see). Something like "Merlot [great]" and "Pinot Noir [spooky] would be awesome, instead of just having "great" or "spooky" there.

What RT said above would be great :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I guess in-run bounty hunting is a good reason for caring about the effects.

"<td width=160" is wide enough to fit both pieces of information. Smaller might work, but with the <br> tags I don't see any advantage to making them smaller.

Bale

Minion
I think the solution used for the El Vibrato punchcards might be useful here. Both names are useful.

NardoLoopa

I have to agree -- it always frustrates me to re-load the map page so I can see which wine I got (glassy, great, etc) and which ones I still need. Those names don't mean anything to me.

A link to use all the wines in order for the Glyph page would be nice too -- since I often hesitate on whether I poured 1 or 2 wines already. Though, I admit this should be trivially easy for me to remember on my own.