New Content - Implemented Discarded Instant Karma turns into banked karma in Valhalla

As someone who has only ever done hardcore it seems wholly impossible to get to level 8 on day 1...

heh. not impossible. since we no longer have to bank turns for stat days, my day 1 goal is to make level 8 and use my freemines for ore. It's a little bit harder in beecore because you can't use the megadrone in the CoT, have to pull the outfit instead of yellow-raying it, etc, but still doable.

I'm ascending tonight, and I have some banked karma, but I'm not even sure what I'm looking for to help find where the game is tracking it, altho, I do remember seeing the balance in the charpane as Bale mentioned.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I freed the King this evening on my first Softcore ascension in many years. I made all sorts of mistakes - not the least of which was not having everything I wanted in storage. Even so, 4 days, Beecore, 1033 turns - including opening the Volcanic Island, which probably accounts for why it was not sub-Ronin.

Softcore is hard. Harder and more time consuming than Hardcore. One down, nine to go. :)

Aftercore today, I finished the Nemesis Quest and got the Honey Tattoo, but I do not have enough turns left today to finish my last pre-ascension tasks - defeating Felonia and getting 10 Sauceror ingredients from the reflection of the map - so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to ascend and nail down this banked Karma stuff.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I stuck in special CharPane parsing for Valhalla. Revision 9357 should parse Karma: n out of the Charpane and set bankedKarma to that value. Discarding Instant Karma increments that same setting by 11. So, in theory, bankedKarma should always have the amount of unspent Karma available in the afterlife, whether you are in-run or in Valhalla.

Untested.

Bale

Minion
Awesome. I'll be ascending tomorrow, so I can see if it picks up my karma then.

Now I just have to decide if I want to try it softcore... Or perhaps just hardcore with benefits. It might be interesting to use some of the softcore only toys that I've picked up during my many years of playing.

Winterbay

I'm on my 2nd SC run in ages and it's not that fun. I think I enjoy the HC life a lot more, and will probably not do another SC run because with my skill level the difference in time is so small that I probably get more Karma doing HC runs anyway :)

Winterbay

Well, as someone stated a while ago "A person with choices isn't as free as he thinks he is" :)
There are just too many choices to make on what to pull, but yes that thread might prove interesting (even though I have very few SC toys due to not having been interested in "SC only" things :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Once you get used to it you tune out most of the things that don't matter. A person switching from softcore to hardcore is going to run into a bunch of choices they aren't used to and have the same type of issues. Not having access to softcore-only stuff would reduce the easy factor though, I expect.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I think I got this working. Revision 9366 now tracks karma as you spend it or regain it and leaves bankedKarma equal to the unspent amount when you finally reincarnate. It also streamlines the logging on process if you happen to be in Valhalla, since you can't do much of anything while you are there. No inventory, no closet, no breakfast, and so on.

The only thing we don't do (yet) is make a nice entry in the session log as you make your actions in Valhalla - perming skills, and so on. It would not be hard to make AfterLifeRequest.registerRequest() do that - and I stuck in comments there showing everything you can do that should be logged - but I didn't do it.

Rinn

Developer
Could you also make the other common stuff lines into links that run a relevant command?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Could you also make the other common stuff lines into links that run a relevant command?

Is this a (new?) Feature Request that the annotations in "common stuff forgotten" be turned into links that will do those things when the link is pressed? If so it might be helpful to list each item as a separate request. For example a link of the form "send your X to Y" obviously creates a Kmail message to player Y and attaches all of the item X in your inventory to the message, and sends it, but what about blowing up your wand? What should be zapped? Or blowing up boxen? What should be created? Is there a budget that should be adhered to? Lots of questions if some of those items are to be automated.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This is (one or more) new Feature Requests that have nothing whatsoever to do with tracking karma in Valhalla. Feel free to start such.

I was only leaving this open as a reminder to myself to fix AfterLifeRequest.registerRequest to print something meaningful for each request you do in Valhalla - since that does have ... something ... to do with Karma in Valhalla. Perhaps I should close this and start a different feature request for that.