New Content - Implemented Discarded Instant Karma turns into banked karma in Valhalla

slyz

Developer
Since discarded Instant Karma doesn't come back at the beginning of your next life anymore, here is a patch to revert the changes added in r8307 to track discarded Karma.

I guess the reminder in ValhallaDecorator.java could stay, though, if people want to be reminded to discard their Instant Karma to gain Karma points. I know I'm going to hoard mine for cheap turn generation during special special events.

Attachments

• RevertKarma.patch
    3.8 KB · Views: 39

Bale

Minion
An even better idea would be for mafia to record your karma when you enter Valhalla and add 11 to it every time you discard instant karma.

That'd be useful since it would be nice to have mafia remember how much karma you have not yet spent.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
No need to remove the reminder to discard Instant Karma before ascending, since by doing so, you gain afterlife karma. We should remove the limit of 3, however.

Bale, it sounds like you want a setting for how much karma remains when you LEAVE Valhalla, so you can remember/predict how much you have banked. Your current path and lifestyle (both of which you can drop) will determine how much more you will get when you next enter Valhalla - and every "shop" there tells you how much unspent karma you have.

Bale

Minion
Bale, it sounds like you want a setting for how much karma remains when you LEAVE Valhalla, so you can remember/predict how much you have banked.

Exactly this. Just to save me the trouble of keeping notes. It would be nice if mafia kept a preference and updated this value any time I entered Valhalla. Then when I'm not in Valhalla it should adds 11 to that value whenever I discard an Instant Karma.

In other words keep track of the karma I have at any moment. Since paths can be dropped mafia should not attempt to predict how much I might have when I next enter Valhalla.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
In other words keep track of the karma I have at any moment. Since paths can be dropped mafia should not attempt to predict how much I might have when I next enter Valhalla.

Except, perhaps, update (i.e. add 311 or however much you would get) upon freeing the king?

Edit: But I suppose this is essentially agreeing with what you're saying: when you free the king, the karma that you gain is locked in stone.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I ascended today and ran with debugging on. Here are my observations:

Code:
afterlife.php?action=pearlygates
<td valign=center>You gain 311 Karma</td>
afterlife.php?action=hcperm&whichskill=6027
<td valign=center>You spend 200 Karma</td>
afterlife.php?action=returnskill&classid=6&skillid=27&hc=1
<td>Skill permanence returned.</td>
afterlife.php?action=buydeli&whichitem=5045
<td valign=center>You spend 1 Karma</td>
afterlife.php?action=delireturn&whichitem=5045
<td valign=center>You gain 1 Karma</td>
afterlife.php?action=buyarmory&whichitem=5041
<td valign=center>You spend 10 Karma</td>
afterlife.php?action=armoryreturn&whichitem=5041
<td valign=center>You gain 10 Karma</td>
You can see the URL I submitted for various actions and various things that KoL told me in response.

I did not have any saved karma from previous ascensions, so I don't know what it would tell me had I had any banked karma from previous ascensions or from discarding instant karma.

Note that the ONLY time it told me balance was the initial "pass through the pearly gates". After that, when I select a skill to perm, it tells me I have it selected, when I return it, it tells me "skill permanence returned", when I buy food, it tells me I spend 1 karma, when I return it, I "gain" 1 karma. Ditto for equipment.

We add the item to the tally when we buy it, but do not remove it when we return it. We refresh everything when you actually ascend, so no big deal, but buying and returning stuff in Valhalla needs much closer attention, I think.

I ascended with 100 karma banked for next time. At no time did it tell me that I have 100 banked.

I'll try this again, soon enough, with banked karma - and I will discard some instant karma, too, just to see how it works. My first day in Softcore went reasonably well, I think. I'm level 8. I have no idea what that means. I suspect this will be a 4 day ascension at worst.

Bale

Minion
I did not have any saved karma from previous ascensions, so I don't know what it would tell me had I had any banked karma from previous ascensions or from discarding instant karma.

I don't recall being told anything special at all!

Note that the ONLY time it told me balance was the initial "pass through the pearly gates". After that, when I select a skill to perm, it tells me I have it selected, when I return it, it tells me "skill permanence returned", when I buy food, it tells me I spend 1 karma, when I return it, I "gain" 1 karma. Ditto for equipment.

Not entirely true! If you look at your character pane, it tells you your current karma instead of meat. That's how I knew for sure how much karma I saved from my last trip. Take a look next time through the gash.

Winterbay

I'll try this again, soon enough, with banked karma - and I will discard some instant karma, too, just to see how it works. My first day in Softcore went reasonably well, I think. I'm level 8. I have no idea what that means. I suspect this will be a 4 day ascension at worst.

You're doing a lot better than me. I got to level 8 on day two.
Softcore is hard :)

Bale

Minion
As someone who has only ever done hardcore it seems wholly impossible to get to level 8 on day 1...

jwylot

Not sure if this is relevant but the karma you can gain from discarding instant karma seems to be capped at 33 as I found out when I discarded 10 before ascending. Now I have to remember that I have 88 karma stored in limbo.

Bale

Minion
That's.... yeah, that's relevant. Highly annoying, but also very relevant.

I hope that those extra 88 karma will come back to you 33 at a time and not be lost. Surely that must be a bug left over from when they became consumables?

Darzil

Developer
It's also interesting, as I'm sure I'd read on the forums about people discarding far more than 3 and perming multiple skills with the Karma.

Maybe something in Mafia or a script was stopping more than 3 being actually discarded ?

jwylot

No the instant karma definitely got discarded and I definitely got 33 karma for it. Perming multiple skills is still possible regardless of how many instant karma you discard. I'd be interested to see a link to a forum post which says otherwise though as it is always possible I was unlucky.

On checking, I have no instant karma in Hagnk's and log shows
PHP:
You gain 311 Karma
You gain 33 Karma

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I ascended from a SCNP run right after the revamp, grabbed a skill for softcore, and upgraded a skill for hardcore, all on my first trip into valhalla. This was thanks to discarding 10 karma.

Darzil

Developer
No the instant karma definitely got discarded and I definitely got 33 karma for it. Perming multiple skills is still possible regardless of how many instant karma you discard. I'd be interested to see a link to a forum post which says otherwise though as it is always possible I was unlucky.

On checking, I have no instant karma in Hagnk's and log shows
PHP:
You gain 311 Karma
You gain 33 Karma

I suggest raising a KoL bug for that, then - You should either only be able to discard 3, or should have got 110 karma for discarding 10.

Ethelred

On my main char, I discarded 28 instant karma, got 211 from my HC ascension, and upgraded 5 skills from Softcore Permed to Hardcore Permed. So it's definitely working as claimed. You got gypped.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9351 will let you discard Instant Karma from the Gash page, but without limiting you to 3.
Translation of that to banked karma will have to wait until we start tracking banked karma in Valhalla.