Feature Collect Untradable Pulls

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Could this list be made conditional - only have an active link for each item if the action can actually be taken?

For example, pressing the Shore Script link does nothing unless there are adventures and meat available. Some of the other items require knowledge of recipes or availability of items.

The "other" list is conditional in the sense that entries that cannot be performed either do not appear or do not have an active link if prerequisites are not met.

While trivial, it feels like a QOL life change for another play style has been implemented in a manner that reduces my QOL.

Thanks.

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
Sure, can do. How do you want the list to work? You've said the Shore shouldn't appear unless you have adventures / meat (and aren't overdrunk, I guess). For the cookbookbat foods, you want them to not appear if you don't know the recipes? For item availability, currently it buys the ingredients from the mall if you don't have them, and I think this is desired behaviour -- but I could remove the item if "autoSatisfyWithMall" is off and you don't have the items?

When you say "Could this list be made conditional" do you mean that the list shouldn't appear at all, or only that the active links should be absent?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
In general if a link is presented I would like it to do something for me.

The link to send a developer gift does not appear unless I have at least of one of the gift in inventory.

So, in the case of the new things I'd say if I don't know the recipe then I don't cannot do anything about the reminder and so don't need it. If I know the recipe than buying the ingredients to make something makes sense. If I don't want to buy then I can not press the link and if I want to micro manage the process I can open the item manager and create manually deciding on how to get the ingredients.

The Shore is more awkward. If I cannot spend three adventures (0 hp, 0 adv or ???) or don't have meat there should not be a link that assumes I can do so. But maybe it is a reminder, and not a link, so I might do something to allow.

If I had to redo the reminders I would have three distinct types:
  • Something I can do right now and a link to click on it.
  • Something I can do that is a prerequisite and would enable one or more of the above items. That might also be a link.
  • A reminder of a sequence of actions I could take that might enable one or more of the above.

Having one toast with a link to sent to Gausie is an example of the first.
Buying at least one toast (with a link) is an example of the second type and if I clicked on the link and refreshed the page the send to Gausie link would appear.
A text reminder to get the recipes would be an example of the third type.

If I don't have adventures and meat then the Shore would also be in the third category.

In the absence of my rebuild I think the links should be hidden unless they can be pressed and execute successfully. So don't show the shore unless there are adventures, hp and meat. Don't show the food makes unless the recipe is known.

Make sense?

Thanks.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Meat is obtainable, though I might be able to sell something and get 500 meat. I might even prefer to do that than miss my chance to send Gausie some toast. Adventures are harder to generate, as are recipes.

I'm not sure when to draw the line between can't do X, could do X, and could do X, if I did something else...

HippoKing

Sure, can do. How do you want the list to work? You've said the Shore shouldn't appear unless you have adventures / meat (and aren't overdrunk, I guess)

I actually disagree with this. The main use I've had from the Shore turns have been my Stooper drink before ascending, which obviously needs the reminder to show up with zero turns left.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
My philosophical objection is to a link that does not work when pressed. That can be addressed in a couple of ways provided users are retrained, if necessary.

One way is to list the reminder without the link if there are prerequisites that are not currently met. Then there are still reminders but the user action is to leave the "about to ascend" page and do something of the user's choosing in response to the reminder.

The other way is seriously more intrusive but that would be to have links that triggered multiple steps. For example obtain and learn the Recipe, obtain the ingredients and then make the food. The down side to this will be that no matter what KoLmafia does to accomplish the task there will always be a user with a niche case who wants it accomplished differently and that will lead to a lot of preferences, documentation and unhappy users.

If we do adopt the idea that the text is always present but there is only a link if the link does something that will work, then the PVP link might also be considered conditional based on the state of the Hippy Stone if nothing else.

I recognize the benefit of the page as a planning tool and so I am inclined to make the links conditional but not the descriptive reminder text.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Well, It starts to seem like daily deeds, restores, or breakfast (which have very different interfaces). I have actually never broken my Hippy Stone and never want to do PvP; putting it on a page for me to skim past would not help me.

So some way that we could let a user configure what was on there might be nice, which also might also take care of "do I really want to see this if I can't ..."