bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Winterbay

With the exception of Ed (where BCA tries to do the normal after-combat actions which includes healing after the fight), Wossman-boss (as myst/AoJ where I easily kill him with the script, but BCA aborts for safety), and Clancy/Boris (where WHAM believes Clancy is a pushover and dies quickly so I can't automate it), BCA is running pretty smoothly for me now.

That's actually a BatBrain issue rather than a WHAM issue, well it affects WHAM but the fault lies in BatBrian in that it does not know that Clancy always hits you and does so apparently with your unbuffed moxie as defense stat.

That said, I've never had any trouble with Ed and BCA.

Edit: Also, yes I did mean the CLI. It just looks so overly over-verbose everytime I run the script.

Last edited:

coderanger

Not sure if this is a known issue or something I'm doing thats odd, but my last few ascensions BCA has gotten "stuck" at the giants bottom floor, never noticing that the middle floor is unlocked so it happily spends all available adventures on the bottom floor.

Winterbay

It would be great if you could, the next time it happens, see what the maximizer string was that was used and also see what your choice adventure settings are for the basement.

Theraze

That's actually a BatBrain issue rather than a WHAM issue, well it affects WHAM but the fault lies in BatBrian in that it does not know that Clancy always hits you and does so apparently with your unbuffed moxie as defense stat.
Regarding Clancy, yes.
That said, I've never had any trouble with Ed and BCA.
Noticed another problem. If you do a casual AoJ ascension, BCA will override and do attack with weapon on 26 or so monsters, including Ed. That's from the fightThisMonster value. But when bumRunCombat does adv1, that will run the afterAdventureScript when it finishes. Even if it's still in the middle of combat. I avoided it in the Level 11 script by doing run_combat() after it starts then visit_url(fight)/runcombat() 6 more times. Not sure if we have another official mafia-supported way to avoid running the aAS or bBS.

Edit: Also, yes I did mean the CLI. It just looks so overly over-verbose everytime I run the script.
Sure, why not. Let's do a visit_url(council) and just update the mafia preference ourselves as well. That should take care of what's needed but make it less spammy. Means an extra visible line as we set the property, but not the rest of the council text.

Edit: Committed visit_urls instead of council() with set_property("lastCouncilVisit", my_level()) additionally after. Also told BCA not to try to summon sugar sheets if you don't have the skill.

Last edited:

Theraze

That would work too. I figured that some people might actually like the current council() behaviour. Letting us have an overloaded version of council that lets us control the display so we can do council(false) to get it silently would be nifty though, since then anyone who is expecting council text gets to keep it.

Didn't think it was worth a FReq, but... if behaviour changes, I'll change it back. :)

roippi

Developer
Council() literally just calls the CLI council command right now, so that functionality still exists there even if we remove it from the ash function. It makes sense for the CLI version to be verbose, not the ash version.

Theraze

Ah, if you mean splitting the two functions so they don't do the same thing, that would work. It leaves people able to pick which action they want to have happen. :) Sure, that would be awesome and people would get to control things more specifically.

Theraze

It's been tidied. If at some point in the future mafia decides to split its council() and cli_execute("council") to do different things, we can use the silent council, but for now we do a visit_url("council.php"); set_property("lastCouncilVisit", my_level()); manually. This keeps mafia in sync, even though we're doing both of mafia's parts ourselves. :)

Theraze

It even uses chocolate and coffee spheres. :)

Edit: Here's a question. Why do we run bcAutoClancy (the Clancy-instrument handling code) on AoJ? Why do we run bcAutoAvatar (the AoB/AoJ auto-skill code) if the AoJ handling in it just says that we have points and the script don't care, every time? Both get called through bcCouncil currently.

Wouldn't it make more sense to skip running bcAutoClancy if we aren't AoB? Wouldn't it make sense to skip taunting the player with the lure of getting their skills if we aren't going to automate it for them? I'm considering changing the AoB/AoJ check there to just be AoB, since AoJ gets nothing from it except for two useless messages on every level...

Last edited:

Winterbay

autoclancy is an oversight (or over-preparation for the upcoming path) and the point thing was the same since I thought the points would work the same, it didn't and I haven't had time to do anything useful with it.

bumcheekcity

The new BIG! path doesn't seem to have many divergances. Basically I'm hoping that the script will just work from the off, which could be quite nice.

After mafia implemenets initial support for monster level adjustments, and they're spaded, it should be easy to tweak the script.

Crowther

The new BIG! path doesn't seem to have many divergances. Basically I'm hoping that the script will just work from the off, which could be quite nice.

After mafia implemenets initial support for monster level adjustments, and they're spaded, it should be easy to tweak the script.
I see that's already been done in 12114.

I suspect a number of optimizations will be added. I know I'll be reordering some quests in my copy and disabling some +ML/stat stuff. It's still pretty cool to have a path supported right out of the box.

Uli

Would it be at all possible to add an option to the script to skip unlocking the island? Maybe leaving that up to the player with a true/false option for people with the skeleton garden?

This may screw up too many steps since the script likes to do the hippy store on day one, but maybe that can be tweaked?

If not, no worries. Thanks for the great script.

Crowther

Would it be at all possible to add an option to the script to skip unlocking the island? Maybe leaving that up to the player with a true/false option for people with the skeleton garden?

This may screw up too many steps since the script likes to do the hippy store on day one, but maybe that can be tweaked?

If not, no worries. Thanks for the great script.
I was thinking of adding something like this to mine. Maybe just check to see if there are skeletons in the inventory?

Winterbay

If you create the skiff yourself it will skip it as it stands now, but it won't create it. Is there really no other good use of the skeletons than the skiff that a player may want to use it for in case skeletons are found in the inventory?