Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

Rinn

Developer
I've noticed recently when I've been adventuring in the iotm dungeon and I have stomping boots out, WHAM seems to be stasising long enough to kill the monster without ever calling release the boots.

Winterbay

Yeah, that'd be because those zones have no monsters in them from what I can see (at least according to Mafia). WHAM, via SS, will only stomp if the location contains at least 2 monsters.

Winterbay

That is a very good question, one that you should probably ask zarqon since he came up with that part of the code... :)

Winterbay

No, because bosses are disallowed outright anyway so it's not that (as are things without phylum and whatever phylum that gives gooey paste apparently).

Winterbay

It should be pretty obvious, but just for clarity: Until the Jarlsberg skills have been at least somewhat spaded (and added to batfactors) WHAM will have severe trouble automating fights under the Avatar of Jarlsberg.

Crowther

It should be pretty obvious, but just for clarity: Until the Jarlsberg skills have been at least somewhat spaded (and added to batfactors) WHAM will have severe trouble automating fights under the Avatar of Jarlsberg.
Best I can tell WHAM might need no modification at all, once the spells are spaded and batfactors is updated. So far so good!

On a largely unrelated topic . . .

WHAM just doesn't seem to handle stunning very well. I know everyone's crazy busy with Jarlberg and the New Castle, but I'm going to forget to mention this if I don't soon. It's especially obvious when I'm in softcore and I've got blue balls. (Doesn't softcore give us all blue balls?)

Right now, there's lots of monster I can ball and curdle twice for the win, totally free. Instead, WHAM spends MP one hitting them, saying stunning isn't needed. During my classy pasta runs, I got beaten up many times, because WHAM figured I could one hit a monster that could one hit me, however, those pasta spells have huge RNG swing and WHAM set the margin very slim. For just 3 MP, I could be sure to win, but I wouldn't be beaten up and probably save MP casting two spells instead of one.

Oh, sometimes stunning is over estimated too. I've had that problem in my basement dives. Leading to me being beating up lots. By reducing the rounds of stunning in batfactors, that was fixed. This was a while ago, that may not be a problem any more.

I'll admit. I've looked at the code lots and I have zero ideas how to fix this "problem", but I just want to mention it before I get even more distracted.

I'm very excited to see WHAM and BatBrain being untangled some. I'm never sure what thread to mention things in. Of course, they will always be incredibly tied together.

Winterbay

Well, WHAM does need to know not to use the 5/day effects of the new chef staffs for stunning which my copy did after I added the staffs to batfactors. Also, to not try to attack with your weapon.

Also, also, I think I've found a way to get around the under use of stunning you reported. I'm basically waiting for zarqon to release his new version of batbrain with dontuse-options in so that I can combine the current use with this new one before releasing a new version. Over estimation of stunning is generally the case when a monster is more resistant to stunners than BatBrain thinks. At least that's been the case for me so far.

Crowther

Well, WHAM does need to know not to use the 5/day effects of the new chef staffs for stunning which my copy did after I added the staffs to batfactors. Also, to not try to attack with your weapon.
Right. Everything is always more complicated than I expect.

Winterbay

It should do it automatically if you either a) have any spirit set as a goal, b) is out of ronin and the medium is fully charged, c) it is a high level monster or d) the level req of the drink is no more than 2 levels below your.

Is this not working?

stannius

It should do it automatically if you either a) have any spirit set as a goal, b) is out of ronin and the medium is fully charged, c) it is a high level monster or d) the level req of the drink is no more than 2 levels below your.

Is this not working?

I don't think any of those conditions have been true so far in my run.

I was expecting siphoning would happen automatically whenever the aura was fully charged (even in ronin/HC). But I can see you (or possibly someone else) has put a lot more thought into optimal siphoning than I.

Winterbay

Well, it was set to siphon at whatever aura you set it to, but then Zarqon upgraded SmartStasis with Medium-support and it ended up like it is now.

stannius

Well, it was set to siphon at whatever aura you set it to, but then Zarqon upgraded SmartStasis with Medium-support and it ended up like it is now.

I looked in WHAM and BatBrain but not SmartStasis (well, I didn't look in zlib either :). Now that I found the code I can make changes.

You missed a condition - if the siphoned drink would give mainstat.

Thanks for your help :)

Winterbay

Version 4.7 has been uploaded which together with recent additions to batfactors.txt should make WHAM compatible with Avatar of Jarlsberg. Yay!

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Boo I saw this 10 minutes too late today to try it, will be glad to use it after rollover though :D

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Decided I'd run one of my other characters as jarls and ran into a problem already (using the batbrain in this thread)

[1] Spooky Forest
Encounter: spooky mummy
Round 0: Kelee wins initiative!
Expression syntax errors for 'modifier_eval()':
Can't understand stench (zlib.ash, line 162)

You're on your own, partner.

Theraze

When batfactors was updated, it wasn't done completely right. Make sure that there is a space, not a tab, between the damage amount and type.

Winterbay

Ahh right. I thought it was a tab there as well. Fixed now, so should go away when people update the next time (or delete it and redownload it).