Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

Winterbay

... good question. Do you with MO mean MP? Because if you have enough MP to cast things it should show up... It'll only show things you have enough MP to cast though.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I did mean MP. So much for my proofreading skills

No idea where to begin. I didn't notice the problem yesterday. Today is Festival of Jarlsberg and I updated BarBrain but otherwise...

100% NPZR.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Me again. I set the verbosity to 10 and ran. gCLI output attached plus some of the character status information. After WHAM stopped I manually cast entangling noodles and then one shotted the monster.

Observations - SmartStasis apparently didn't think there was anything to do even with a NPZR. WHAM failed to consider spells. No one thought it was worth casting entangling noodles.

I have one or two more days before ascending so if I can try something let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• cli.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 59

Winterbay

The fact that SS didn't do anything is because at verbosity 10 it doesn't get called. It's set up that way in order to ensure that verbosity 10 is only for debugging purposes without changing SS (you can see this by the fact that it never printed "Running Smart Stasis").

That said, it should still consider spells. My only guess at the moment is that the sword makes batbrain confused (that is if you had that on during the fight), but that is not substantiated by anything really. I'll be getting out of my Boris run in 3 days or so and will be able to test some then (unless I need to go to the hospital first to welcome my child to the world, estimated date of delivery is Friday).

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Congratulations on the impending birth. My son is the person who introduced me to KoL, so you have much to look forward to.

Windsor Pan of the Source was the weapon equipped when adventuring. The log entry was the rollover gear that I did change out of.

Winterbay

I actually just had the same thing happen to me in my Boris run. The macro for basic attacking works fine (and adds broadside and mighty axing as asked) but as soon as it moves over to other types of attacking (say a procrastination giant) it fails and has no skills available.
Odd...

Edit: It appears that damage from all skills that are calculated in any way other than "normal" way get set to 0 in the new Batbrain. I have no idea why and will take this over there...

Last edited:

Winterbay

Ok, so it appears that there is something that could be a bug in BatBrain that's causing this. Attached to this thread is a version of BatBrain with the, I think, missing code added back in. Please use that instead of the "official" release until this can get a better fix.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Ok, so it appears that there is something that could be a bug in BatBrain that's causing this. Attached to this thread is a version of BatBrain with the, I think, missing code added back in. Please use that instead of the "official" release until this can get a better fix.

That seems to have worked better although switching from a high level spell caster to a low level moxie class might also explain the improvement ;-)

I saw
Macro override "i" returned void.
> WHAM: Running SmartStasis
a lot but I'm not sure whether it is WHAM, pre-WHAM or related to the round counting observations.

Winterbay

I saw a lot but I'm not sure whether it is WHAM, pre-WHAM or related to the round counting observations.

That is, I think, a Bumcheekascend bug that I hope to have fixed in an update I did this morning so the SVN-version shouldn't do that anymore (basically I miscounted the number of arguments in a BumAdv-call and the mood-information ended up as an adventure filter which obviously didn't work).

Winterbay

Version 1.9.5 uploaded that makes the script use Broadside and Bellow in more reasonable places. I'm also working on a complete re-write since the script is stupidly slow if you have loads of skills (which I after a bunch of Boris-runs appear to have and so noticed this). It may take a whiel due to me being somewhat busy at the moment.

I've noticed things like this, where sometimes WHAM aborts the running script when the combat is finished unexpectedly.

Code:
[657] F'c'le
Encounter: clingy pirate
Strategy: C:\Users\bhanes\kolmafia\ccs\Boris.ccs [default]
Round 0: chef_rannos loses initiative!
WHAM: Running SmartStasis
Round 1: chef_rannos executes a macro!
Round 1: chef_rannos uses the cocktail napkin!
WHAM: Monster is weak. We are just going to bash its head in. It'll take 2 rounds.
WHAM: Empty macro generated. Please check, aborting.
You're on your own, partner.

EDIT: I should mention I just started using WHAM this week, and I also got this one:

Code:
[716] Fantasy Airship
Encounter: Protagonist
Strategy:     C:\Users\bhanes\kolmafia\ccs\Boris.ccs [default]
Round 0: chef_rannos     loses initiative!
You lose 21 hit points
You acquire an effect:     Temporary Amnesia (duration: 5 Adventures)
WHAM:     Running SmartStasis
Round 1: chef_rannos executes a macro!
KoLmafia     thinks it is round 2 but KoL thinks it is round 1
WHAM:     Monster is weak. We are just going to bash its head in. It'll take 2     rounds.
WHAM: Empty macro generated. Please     check, aborting.
You're on your own, partner.
Click     here to continue in the relay browser.

Anything I can do to help? :D

Last edited:

Winterbay

You could run a fight at a higher verbosity which should give some more info on what is happening (7 is the upper limit for "information" after that it is increasing amounts of debug info until at 10 it will run the script and print a lot of debug info but won't execute anything).

The first case is that finished() apparently didn't report correctly that the fight ended, which is a bit hard to check for, while the problem in the second case, I do believe, is the acquisition of Temporary Amnesia and you being in a Boris run, since it's trying to bash the monster in and Boris is the only place where that would be done with a skill... That would definitely be fixable.

Edit: 1.9.6 fixes the second problem.

Last edited:
Ok, now I have gotten this a couple times. Each time a mighty axing or two easily dispatched the Giant.

Code:
[787] Giant's Castle
Encounter: Procrastination Giant
Strategy:     C:\Users\bhanes\kolmafia\ccs\Boris.ccs [default]
Round 0: chef_rannos     wins initiative!
WHAM: Running SmartStasis
Round     1: chef_rannos executes a macro!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 2 but KoL     thinks it is round 1
Round 2: chef_rannos executes a macro!
Round 2:     chef_rannos casts INTIMIDATING BELLOW!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 3     but KoL thinks it is round 2
Round 3: procrastination giant drops 18     attack power.
Round 3: procrastination giant drops 18 defense.
At     the end of the 1 complete loop of s
At the end of the 2 complete loop     of s
Round 3: chef_rannos executes a macro!
KoLmafia thinks it is     round 4 but KoL thinks it is round 2
WHAM: Unable     to determine a valid combat strategy. For your benefit here are the     numbers for you combat skills.
WHAM: Heroic     Belch 68.0 potential damage.
WHAM: Chronic     Indigestion 22.5 potential damage.
WHAM:     Basic attack 150.0 potential damage with a hitchance of 95.454544%.
WHAM:     You now have the knowledge needed to go forward and be victorious
You're     on your own, partner.
Click     here to continue in the relay browser.

207 buffed muscle and at 0 ML.

I'd imagine if I have over 90% hit potential that should be good enough to spam some mighty axings, right?

EDIT: My normal attack did 227 (+10 spooky from snarl of the timberwolf) so that's quite a bit more than the 150 calculated when it stopped...maybe that's a minimum damage?

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It's trying to avoid cunctatitis, and Boris doesn't have any good ways of doing that. Except Banishing Shout (my preferred method, even during a speed run where I don't care what Items the giants drop because I'm not opening HitS), but I wouldn't expect a script to automatically decide that Banishing Shout is the way to go. There doesn't seem to be much downside to it for Procrastination Giants, so maybe it should anyway.

Winterbay

Yeah, the script currently doesn't use any kind of banishers that SS doesn't use for it. I guess it could try banishing things in the upcoming 2.0 version if I find a nice set of rules for it.

Edit: Actually I already have a function just for that sort of thing. Which monsters would it be a good idea to banish apart from the procrastination giant?

Last edited:

Theraze

Boris does well avoiding those giants using belch, if your stomach is full. But that takes filling up before your adventures, along with the feasting tree.

Banishing Shout = any monster that doesn't drop a goal.

You know, this may be why I'm always so meat poor until I sell the dictionary post orc chasm.

:)