Wiki Updates (masochism?)

StDoodle

Minion
(and just have it insert the double brackets as needed)

I highly doubt that will work, as manually entering the square brackets results in them displaying as typed. Though I don't truly know where what is done. ;) But don't worry too much about it; if it can't be reasonably worked out... ah well.

Also, fewyn had some issues with the new parser version today, and we're still seeing the occasional odd remnant with lots of error lines. No idea what's going on, but you might want to check out a few function pages and see if you can figure it out.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Ohhh dear. I think I see what's happening. I thought I could just delete the lines that style brackets and whatnot without any errors. I'll fix that in the next update; will be up in a few minutes, hopefully.

Edit: And... up. I'm assuming that an empty style string won't break anything (or change anything, so it should look the same).
Double edit: Oh wait, I screwed up in the replacing. Hold up, fixing... will take like three minutes.
And done.

Triple edit: And then added the missing functions.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Okay. Hawt new update up. What's special about this? Nothing, other than I got the linkage for ASH functions to work. I'm pretty sure they won't use wiki styling for nonexistent links (There's no way to really do that with just modifying GeSHi), but other than that, it should be just about the same. So... same deal, except now geshi.php has been modified (and also has a link provided). So now two things to copy over for this update to totally work.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but it doesn't realize if you have a custom variable with the same name as an ASH function. Just giving the heads up; I'm working on this right now.

Last edited:

StDoodle

Minion
First off, thanks to everyone who's helped so far. Second, can't wait to see the next iteration of heeheehee's GeSHi mods in place (and an end to the errors :p).

Also! The wiki really needs help right now! In particular, the RFI page is starting to get fairly full, and will be growing very soon. Please follow the link on the main page of the wiki for "Editing the Wiki Documentation" for a full explanation of what needs help.

For those looking for a quick sound bite on how to help: head to the RFI link above. Pick a page (or more than one) you think you can help with. Head to the page, go over to the "Discussion" tab at the top, and fill in anything you can add (no formatting-fu required for Discussion pages).

StDoodle

Minion
latest version of ash.php installed

Good news; not seeing the GeiSHi errors anymore. Bad news; formatting on built-in functions is gone; perhaps we should just shelve the idea of making them into links, and stick with coloring them in blue. At least that's consistent with link colors, and hopefully people will connect the dots enough to at least run a search on said functions if they're curious.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
hopefully people will connect the dots enough to at least run a search on said functions if they're curious.
I've been called a nut case and an edge case but a blue link that I could not click on and go somewhere useful would frustrate me so much I would never think of using search instead. That said, I now realize that search is my friend on the ash wiki but it is not the first means of navigation I turn to.

StDoodle

Minion
Yeah, that's a good point. We should at least come up with a "How to Use the Wiki (READ ME FIRST)" page that explains such things. I may also try to build something into the code sample template that can give some kind of notification...

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Oh, whoops. I removed the blue formatting on the ASH functions because I incorrectly assumed that the linking would work. Evidently not; it'll be back next time I edit it (two minutes?!).

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki uploading enabled. PNG, Gif, jpg, jpeg, txt and ash are the only allowable file uploads.

StDoodle

Minion
I've been taking a wiki break lately to deal with some Real-Life issues, but rest assured I'll still be doing what I can, as I can. Many thanks to everyone who's been helping out in the mean time (you know who you are).

I've given heeheehee admin powers to deal with any deletions & misc. issues that crop up and need attention. My user page on the wiki has a spot for requesting page deletions that heeheehee and I can both keep an eye on, so feel free to add to it if you feel the need.

Bale & jasonharper have both been particularly above-and-beyond helpful as well, and if either of you would like admin authority, you've earned it as well and I'd be happy to comply.

I'm glad to see that even though it's slowed down, the wiki is still progressing; this was and is my main goal!

Bale

Minion
Feel free to take your well earned break.

I'm glad to see that even though it's slowed down, the wiki is still progressing; this was and is my main goal!

Agreed! Slow is a far cry from stopped. I'm happy to go over and add a little bit every day or two.

I've also taken to directing some people's requests about scripting information to pages on the wiki, happy that it can save me a lot of effort now that it has so much information. (I get a surprising quantity of PMs from people who want help scripting, but are too shy to post a thread.) So I know that people are starting to use it now. I'm so happy that you revitalized it.

StDoodle

Minion
For what it's worth, my biggest obstacle at the moment (besides real-life) is categorizing functions that have yet to be categorized. I just find it incredibly tedious and often difficult. It helps a little that it's possible to put functions in multiple categories if needed, but still...

Also, I'm thinking an additional category for relay browser stuff may well be in order. I originally thought that, but decided against it since it would have so few few functions. But with JH's recent foray into relay-revamping, I'm sure it will be warranted soon if not now. (Also, if the MMG gets its own category, shouldn't relay scripts? :p).

It would also be a great idea to whip-up some kind of "Intro" page, that explains the basics of programming for those who don't know much about it, and then gives instructions to read certain other pages (operators, datatypes, etc) and then come back and follow along with some basic coding. Probably.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I'll see what I can do with regards to this "Intro" page. Perhaps some bits of explanation? (The easiest way is generally to take a heavily-documented script and explain what's going on in each step, which takes much less effort than trying to explain code in plain English. Should I whip up something new, or reuse a current script?)

StDoodle

Minion
I was thinking it might be good to keep an eye out for similar "intro to programming" examples used elsewhere, and modify as needed for ash.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I was thinking it might be good to keep an eye out for similar "intro to programming" examples used elsewhere, and modify as needed for ash.
I was also thinking about the Intro issue but have not found a good example to "borrow" from. I am unlikely to tackle it before someone else does so let me say that I look forward to a discussion of variable scope and namespaces ;)

Bale

Minion
I tried to upload images for the Newbie Guide today. I got:

Image1.png

If the problem is that I don't have sufficient access, could I have the admin privileges that StDoodle previously suggested I could be trusted with? Or are admins also incapable of this?