Bug - Fixed When select gCLI tab, focus should be on command input field

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm marking this a Bug rather than a Feature Request because I believe this is a change in behavior.

Used to be, when I selected the Graphical CLI tab, the input focus would be on the text field for command input; I could switch tabs and just start typing and my command would appear in that field and when I hit Return. the command would execute.

Now, when I switch to the Graphical CLI tab, the input focus is ... somewhere ... and if I start typing, it is for nought; my typing is NOT entering a new command to execute. I have to click on the command input field and THEN start typing.

That's a change. I don't like it.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
That's how it worked before recently? I thought I remembered pressing Tab to get to the input field. I also thought I remembered a request long ago for focus to be on the input field, and it was made that way, and then it became impossible to copy-paste text out of the gCLI, and something was changed in response to that.

I could easily be misremembering part of that though.

I've had to tab to the input field for ages. Even when that's where I had the focus, alt-tab'd to another program, and then alt-tab'd back to the mafia.

BleedingFingers

I was also going to raise this as a bug, since about a week ago I've noticed that it no longer auto-focuses on the input box. This is really annoying as when you change to the gCLI tab and start typing, random things happen (since you're pressing a short-cut key instead of typing on the gCLI).

This definitely used to auto-focus as I never had to click on the input box after choosing the tab...

holatuwol

Developer
Yeah ... the component listener which implemented that functionality had a pretty hard-to-trace memory leak attached to it.

I've reimplemented something similar using focus policies, but I haven't nailed down how to use focus policies to give the main interface focus when it first loads. So as of right now, you only get the desired focus behavior after you've actually done something inside of the main interface tabs.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I think the new code broke some stuff. I tried using a bricko cathedral from the Item Manager, then I tried pulling all of my bricko stuff from storage, then I tried pulling a 33398 scroll, then I tried using a chocolate disco ball. None of them worked, and the debug log is attached.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20111206.txt
    20.4 KB · Views: 69

holatuwol

Developer
Erk, ignore 10072 (failed attempt to fix it). I don't see the problem when I use the item manager in 10073, though.