"Unreasonably complex expression for"

I'm getting this, in infinite loop form, with the Digital Underground Dweller

I'm not sure how to post the backtrace debug log in a text file, so I'll just stick it here in a code tag. And yes I know it says not to do this, but forgive me, it's not very long. The infinite loop of "Unreasonably complex expression..." continued even after I logged out and back in, but without closing mafia.

Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          KoLmafia v14.6 r9300, Windows 7, Java 1.6.0_24
 Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread. If you
 would like the dev team to look at it, please write a bug report
 at kolmafia.us. Include specific information about what you were 
 doing when you made this and include the log as an attachment.
 Timestamp: Mon May 16 15:53:57 PDT 2011

Backtrace triggered, debug log printed.
class java.lang.Exception: Backtrace triggered by message
java.lang.Exception: Backtrace triggered by message
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.StaticEntity.printStackTrace(StaticEntity.java:993)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestLogger.printLine(RequestLogger.java:243)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestLogger.printLine(RequestLogger.java:217)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.updateDisplay(KoLmafia.java:638)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.updateDisplay(KoLmafia.java:619)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.Expression.eval(Expression.java:101)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.MonsterData.getAttack(MonsterData.java:128)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.MonsterData.getExperience(MonsterData.java:363)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.AreaCombatData.getSummary(AreaCombatData.java:321)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.AreaCombatData.toString(AreaCombatData.java:275)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.AdventureSelectPanel$SafetyField.setSafetyString(AdventureSelectPanel.java:981)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.AdventureSelectPanel$SafetyField.run(AdventureSelectPanel.java:968)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacterAdapter.updateStatus(KoLCharacterAdapter.java:60)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacter.updateStatus(KoLCharacter.java:3491)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1129)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.ChatRequest.run(ChatRequest.java:86)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.chat.ChatPoller.getEntries(ChatPoller.java:174)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.chat.ChatPoller.run(ChatPoller.java:71)
Backtrace triggered by message

Last edited:

T_E

This is driving me crazy. I'm getting the "Unreasonably complex expression" (mob name) repeatedly in the CLI whilst adventuring in the Shield Generator. I'm using v9708.

Theraze

Follow jason's steps from post 2 and we might end up with enough data to actually work on something... else, well...

T_E

Follow jason's steps from post 2 and we might end up with enough data to actually work on something... else, well...

Okay.
I was autoadventuring in the Shield Generator- after about 10 turns without incident the "Unreasonably complex expression for Mutated Alielephant" and "Unreasonably complex expression for Alien Hamsterpus" messages began appearing over and over and over in the CLI. I'm using build 9708.

Code:
         KoLmafia v14.7 r9708, Windows XP, Java 1.6.0_26
 Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread. If you
 would like the dev team to look at it, please write a bug report
 at kolmafia.us. Include specific information about what you were 
 doing when you made this and include the log as an attachment.
 Timestamp: Mon Aug 08 08:02:58 CDT 2011

Backtrace triggered, debug log printed.
class java.lang.Exception: Backtrace triggered by message
java.lang.Exception: Backtrace triggered by message
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.StaticEntity.printStackTrace(StaticEntity.java:1052)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestLogger.printLine(RequestLogger.java:260)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestLogger.printLine(RequestLogger.java:234)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.updateDisplay(KoLmafia.java:629)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.updateDisplay(KoLmafia.java:610)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.Expression.eval(Expression.java:101)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.MonsterData.getAttack(MonsterData.java:145)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.AreaCombatData.addMonsterStats(AreaCombatData.java:107)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.AreaCombatData.recalculate(AreaCombatData.java:99)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.AreaCombatData.getSummary(AreaCombatData.java:313)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.AreaCombatData.toString(AreaCombatData.java:302)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.AdventureSelectPanel$SafetyField.setSafetyString(AdventureSelectPanel.java:982)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.AdventureSelectPanel$SafetyField.run(AdventureSelectPanel.java:969)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacterAdapter.updateStatus(KoLCharacterAdapter.java:60)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacter.updateStatus(KoLCharacter.java:3773)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1217)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.ChatRequest.run(ChatRequest.java:89)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.chat.ChatPoller.getEntries(ChatPoller.java:174)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.RelayRequest.handleChat(RelayRequest.java:1358)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.RelayRequest.run(RelayRequest.java:1486)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.readServerResponse(RelayAgent.java:470)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.performRelay(RelayAgent.java:143)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.run(RelayAgent.java:120)
Backtrace triggered by message

Thank you in advance for any assistance. Auto-adventuring still works, but it takes a very long time as the error message is repeated over and over and slows turns down quite a bit (and it's tough to keep track of actually useful messages in the CLI due to this). Please let me know if you need additional information and I'll provide, and apologies in advance for not providing them in the first place.

Last edited:

Theraze

Looks like you have a similar problem to tragus, down to it being attack... Here's jason's tips on figuring out which is screwing up for you. Though it'd be one of the aliens, not basement, but at least we'd know which one is the problem.
Ok, the error is coming from a scaling monster's attack expression - presumably a Basement monster. It is appearing so persistently because the Location Details panel looks up stats for every monster in the current location, and gets refreshed after every change in character state (even when not visible); the only thing that would have shut it up is selecting a different adventure location.

On the other hand, I can't actually reproduce the problem - I'm at basement level 503, having the Basement shown in Location Details produces no errors for me, and in fact no monster in the entire game produces an error when its attack stat is queried. Are you using a modified monsters.txt file for some reason? Are you at some unusually deep basement level? (Not that the level should affect the complexity of the expression, merely its value.)

You could try this in the CLI to find out exactly which monsters have the problem; look for the next line printed after each occurrence of the "unreasonably complex" error.
ashq foreach m in $monsters[] print(m + " " + monster_attack(m))

T_E

Thank you, Theraze... I will do that with tomorrow's turns and report back here via post edit.
A thought that occurred to me- could this be connected with the fact that the zone added mobs after the initial release, and perhaps Mafia doesn't have the information for the new ones and is thus giving this error message? Just an idea (and probably a long shot given that a similar error is occurring in another zone which has scaling mobs, also).

Theraze

My guess is that somehow, despite it not really being possible, we're getting non-ints out of some monster. No clue why, and it's patently impossible... but something is still happening. If we can figure out who is doing it to you, we can look for similarities with the beast with ears...

T_E

Here's an observation from today's turns.... the error did not occur until I launched the relay browser. Everything was fine in Mafia for over 100 turns before doing so, including having Mafia chat open. It was after I launched the relay browser that the "Unreasonably Complex" message started appearing repeatedly in the CLI (even after I stopped automating turns... I cleared the pane and it still repeated over and over).

Last edited:

spidermcfly

I've had it happen in the Shield Generator and in the Sorority House. I have other accounts that haven't been to either zone and I never see this error.